1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Forgiveness Is Not Procured by Anything of The Creature

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, May 29, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. - Isaiah 43:25

Forgiveness is not procured by anything of the creature; not by riches, nor by righteousness, nor by repentance, nor by faith, nor by obedience to any ordinance; it is not for the sake of these that the Lord forgives sin, but for his own sake, and his Son's sake, which is the same; it is an instance of unmerited and distinguishing grace; it flows from the free grace of God; it is a branch of the covenant of grace; it is through the blood of Christ, and yet according to the riches of grace; and it is for the glory of all the divine perfections, justice, truth, and faithfulness, as well as grace and mercy; and after such a list of sins of omission and commission, to hear such language as this is surprising grace indeed!

- excerpt from John Gill's Bible commentary on Isaiah 43:25

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 8: 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:1, "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . ."

• Like Like x 1
  4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excerpt from John Gill's Bible commentary on 1 John 5:1:

To believe that Jesus is the Christ, or the Messiah, is not barely to give an assent to this truth, or to acknowledge it; so the devils themselves have done, Luke 4:41; and whole nations of men, multitudes of which were never born of God; it is not a mere profession of it before men, or an idle, inoperative faith, which is destitute of love to Christ, and obedience to him; but whereas his work and business, as the Christ of God, was to bring in an everlasting righteousness, to procure the remission of sin, and to make peace and reconciliation for it, and to obtain eternal salvation; true faith in him as the Messiah is a believing with the heart unto righteousness, or a looking to, and trusting in the righteousness of Christ for justification; and a dealing with his blood for pardon and cleansing, under a sense of guilt and filth; and a laying hold on his atoning sacrifice for the expiation of sin, and peace with God; and a reception of him as the only Saviour and Redeemer, or a dependence on him for life and salvation; and which faith shows itself in love to him, and in a professed subjection to his Gospel, and cheerful submission to his ordinances.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody knows anything unless it is something one believes.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what point you are making in regards to this thread.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    0ne needs to believe Jesus is the Christ. 1 John 5:1, 2 John 1:9.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Do you know of anyone who would be posting in this section of the board who would dispute that?

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. At issue, one way or another, it involves trusting in Christ.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 11:28-30, ". . . Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. . . ."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whosoever believes does so because they are born of God...is that not what this tells us?
    I see that the Lord here is telling those who labor and are heavy laden to come to Him.
    In other words, He is inviting those who do so, to come.

But what about those who do not labor and are heavy laden?
    Again, nothing we do can gain God's favor...the believer already has it, and the unbeliever does not ( John 3:36, John 5:24 ).

May God bless you.