1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Form To E-mail,Help!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Choosefaith, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Choosefaith

Choosefaith New Member

Hello I was wondering if anyone knew how to get a online form information to an e-mail or somewhere it can be picked up? for some reason I don't like the old fashion way of form action= mailto: and then the e-mail in HTML and know there is a better way! Is it CGI or Javascript or something? Do I need to upload something to the server? I need a little help and someone to explain in this area? I have a form on my page but it is not owned by us so it has other advertisements.

Any Help Anyone? Thanks,

[email protected]

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Step #1: Verify that your host allows cgi scripting.

Step #2: Check out www.webmonkey.com or www.javascriptsource.com for cgi, PERL, or javascripts. If necessary, I'm sure one of us would be happy to provide a generic script to get you started.

3. Tony Ford

Tony Ford New Member

4. Choosefaith

Choosefaith New Member

Guess What! For my hosting,Cgi does not work! Also the .asp did not work either but it did look good on your page.

As For Javascript Source it was pretty good but I did not find one for (complete form to e-mail)
    I will check out the validators though!

I guess I will keep it how it is for now until I upgrade the Hosting.

Thanks Guys!

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The asp (active server pages) won't work unless there's a database or some other "activator" involved; if you don't have cgi scripting, then asp is pretty much a lost cause.

You might try www.cgispy.com; but their e-mail form is only for "paying" customers, I believe.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Choosefaith

Choosefaith New Member

That is almost exactly what I wanted. The Problem is that the form action= ends in .cgi and my hosting does not support it? I would have to upgrade somewhere! so right know I will just keep the forms how they are on my site I guess. The forms are ok and work it is just there is an add but that is ok, it is not anything bad. I could pay not to have it but it is fine for now and the people who fill the form can get back to my page from that page. Maybe I will need help in the future when I have better hosting though :D

8. Lucilius

Lucilius Guest

If you can't use CGI (I can't myself, as I use free hosting) then you might want to try www.freedback.com - their forms are really easy to make, then you just cut and paste the code they give you and hey presto! you've got a working form on your page. The only problem with them is that, after a visitor submits their information, they are faced with a page inviting them to sign up for loads of newsletters - but as they don't use popups, and they are free, I guess thats not so bad [​IMG]

/Lucilius

9. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

you don't need to use cgi to do this, you can use javascript:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">&lt;form action=&quot;mailto:[email protected]&quot; method=&quot;POST&quot; ENCTYPE=&quot;text/plain&quot;&gt;
    &lt;input type=&quot;text&quot; name=&quot;name&quot;&gt;
    &lt;input type=&quot;submit&quot; value=&quot;submit&quot;&gt;

&lt;/form&gt;</pre>[/QUOTE]