1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Former Lawmaker Gets 8+ Years for Bribery

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by poncho, Mar 5, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

By SETH HETTENA, Associated Press Writer Sat Mar 4, 3:19 AM ET

SAN DIEGO - Former Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham began his first day in prison after being sentenced to eight years and four months for taking $2.4 million in homes, yachts and other bribes in a corruption scheme unmatched in the annals of Congress.

Cunningham's sentence Friday was described by attorneys for both sides as the longest prison sentence ever given to a member of Congress. U.S. District Judge Larry Burns spared him the 10-year maximum after the defense asked for six years.

"Your honor I have ripped my life to shreds due to my actions, my actions that I did to myself," Cunningham said before the sentence was announced. He also asked to see his 91-year-old mother before going to prison.

Cunningham, 64, who resigned in disgrace late last year, was immediately taken into custody.

SOURCE