1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Former SBC Presidents

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mcdirector, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Is there a list of former SBC presidents somewhere?

I've got a head cold and my ears hurt, so the brain in between them isn't thinking appropriately.

I can only remember Jerry Vines and Charles Stanley - besides Page of course - he's not former. With the talk of Al Mohler in the other thread, I'd just like to run down the list and ponder it.

If no one's got a link, perhaps you guys and gals can help me come up with the list.

With or without a link, what did each do or not do to help the SBC? Pertinent info - size of church or other position if not at a church? Cal or non-cal ;) what else?

OK - That Mohler threads go my math-analytical side going . . .

#1 mcdirector, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I always thought so. :laugh:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Did you feel the cast iron of my skillet as it plunked upside your noggin?

You must have, because I see you rubbing that knot that's rising ;)

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Forgive me, but it was so tempting---I grew weak. :laugh:

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

LOL!

Dr. Paige Patterson
    President of some Seminary (probably SEBTS at the time???)

non Cal

presidentail attributes anyone . . . .

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Thank you GD! I did google, but my key words must have been pitiful.

Some of those guys were not very memorable . . .

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    np. It was not the easiest thing to find. My search combined the names of several former presidents.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

GD,

Good stuff! :thumbs:

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Do you have any particular ones in mind, outta' curiosity?

Ed

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Interesting, thanks!

Anyone remember or know why there was such a dramatic jump in attendance from 1984-1985?

17,000 in KC

to

45,000 in Dallas

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...that would happen if you typed in "skillet...upside...head". :laugh:

13. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the efect of debate, votes and argument that occurred when the Conservative Resurgence was just getting started. People came to vote for the President because the President could appoint the committtees. So they tried to control the Presidency. Thankfully, the inerrantists won or most of us here who are now SBC would be fully independent.

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I couldn't remember anything about Carl Bates, Owen Cooper, or Jaroy Webber. There were other names on the list that didn't mean much to me. Those kind of stood out because that was in a time period when I was becoming aware (as a teenager - very young teen for some of those) that being a Baptist and not something else was important - and I didn't even know who was running the show - so to speak ;)

#14 mcdirector, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Thanks Tom, that makes sense.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

If my memory serves, Carl Bates was a fairly well known pastor in the Charlotte area, I believe, but I cannot be sure of the location. I think Dr. Bates may have died in the last few years. I don't know hardly as much about him as I do some others. But he was not a "non-entity", so to speak, who just happened to accidentally get elected President of the SBC. While he was not a W. A. Criswell or a Herschel Hobbs, neither was he an EdSutton.

Dr. Jaroy Weber, very conservative theologically, but not a strong 'political' type (as that had not yet reached the levels it later would), was the pastor of a large church in Lubbock, Tx, and was very influential in Texas SBC circles. He was one of the more mission minded sorts that have led the Convention, at various times, and had a bit to do with the adoption of the "Winning America to Christ" initative. He, in fact, presided over the Convention the one time I have been privileged to attend, when I lived in Hollywood, Florida, and the Convention met in Miami Beach. Dr. Weber also died in the last few years, as well. I would humorously describe Jaroy Weber as a W. A. Criswell "without the mustard or relish".

Owen Cooper was a 'fertilizer salesman', from Yazoo City, MS, and was actually the long-time boss of comedian Jerry Clower, before Jerry Clower went on to bigger and better things. Jerry Clower often referred to Mr. Cooper in his stories. {Laugh!} Seriously, Mr. Cooper was a long-time very active and influential layman among So. Baptists in Mississippi, and faithful worker for over 40 years, as a lay leader. He headed up Mississippi Chemical Corporation, for many years, and I believe had been President of the Mississippi Baptist Convention, and his presidency of the SBC, which was followed by that of Jaroy Weber, was, along with the following President James Sullivan, who was the head of the SS board, one of the last two men to serve, who were not pastors, prior to Paige Patterson, and both Drs. Sullivan and Patterson were in fact, ordained. (In fact, he had been nominated twice before, for SBC President, and W. A. Criswell was elected over Owen Cooper four years earlier.) Mr. Cooper died about 25 years ago.

One reason that Drs. Bates and Weber, along with Mr. Cooper may not receive the same notoriety as some others, is that they preceeded that big movement back toward conservatism that started with the election of Adrian Rogers in 1979; they followed the era of the presidencies of Ramsey Pollard, Herschel Hobbs, K. Owen White, Wayne Dehoney, Franklin Paschall, and W. A. Criswell, who were effectively "mega-church" pastors of their time; and were somewhat overshadowed by the Vietnam War era, IMO.

But I think they were all fairly good individuals, if not exactly the most magnetic of personalities. R. G. Lee, J. D. Gray, Herschel Hobbs, and W. A. Criswell, to name a handful, were all tough acts to follow.

Ed

#16 EdSutton, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  17. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'll agree with that since I was attending SEBTS at the time.