1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Formula for Your Thread Count

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, May 15, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In keeping with the discussion about humility on the thread about kinder Calvinism, I would like to share my formula for determining how much attention the thread you started is really getting. :type:

First of all, you can't count on simply the number of people given by the BB software as reading the posts. Why? Because there is a lot of duplication there. For example, let's say you start a thread on "Calvinist Arminians." By page 3 there are 21 posts. The thread has been looked at by 63 people. Well, you have to divide the 63 by the 21, since there are people who have posted more than once. That gives you the digit 3, which you then multiply by 10, your estimated number of people who have not posted who are reading the thread. That gives you 30. Multiply that by pi (let's say up to just two decimal places), or 3.14, giving you 94.2. Why pi, you ask? Because this thread is about humble pi.

Now, you take your final number of 94.2, and going by the JoJ grading system, that gives you a grade of A (90 to 100) on your thread. 80-89 is a B, 70-79 a C, 60-69 a D and below 60 an F. Got it? [​IMG]

I see some of you are confused. [​IMG] Okay, let's say you start a thread and it goes to 20 posts on the first two pages. Count the letters in each post and divide by 20, the number of posts. Then add up.... No, that won't work. Any ideas?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL, John!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It figures that John is a IFB.

Southern Baptists just add one for each additional post - as long as a card is filled out :smilewinkgrin: - and sometimes we will even count it more than once....:tongue3:

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hmmm, that reminds me. I wonder if I got counted at church this morning? I forgot to fill out my card! :eek:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penalty 10 posts

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some things mathematics just can't explain.

Keifer Rules! – (If You’re New Here Please Read)

Currently 71 posts - no replies, 1211 views

Rob

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to everyone for your posts.

Hmm. No one is taking this as a serious scientific proposal. :confused: Very well. Let's consider the humor aspect of the new science of Thread History Understanding & Discernment (THUD). :thumbsup:

Let's say you start a humorous thread, as this one is being viewed. Your title is "Those Hilarious Cal-Arm Threads!" Your thread goes 5 pages. What is important in the scientific analysis is the LvS ratio (lol vs. smiley). Consider. It takes only one to two clicks to put a smiley on your post, whereas it takes three key strokes to type "lol." Obviously, one "lol" has twice the value of a smiley!

So, the formula for the HUK (Humour Kwoshent) of your thread should be: L (number of lols) times Pg (number of pages) times 0.5 S (half a smiley) plus Po (number of posts) times Pi. So,

HUK = L x Pg x 0.5S + Po x 3.14

Our THUD technical term for this formula is: lolapalooza!

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have!, but thats beacuse I am using the NIV as my basis -and that gives a much clearer picture of the entire proposal....

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Salty, you know you shouldn't mix religion and science!!

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and what do you get if you do mix them?

A Christian Science!:applause:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist