1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foundational Theology of the Reformation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I attended some very conservative IFB colleges/grad school. NEVER (even in in-depth theology class) were the "Five Solas" or keystones of the Reformation discussed! Guess they were too intent on teaching ANTI-reformation (ie, Baptist) history and distinctives that these were not just "on the back burner". These weren't even in the kitchen!

sola fide
    sola gratia
    sola scriptura
    solus Christus
    soli deo gloria

How many of YOU had these strongly emphasized either in your formal education or inform training in your church?

2. sovgrace79

sovgrace79 New Member

None of these were discussed in depth in my classes... My baptist history course I think followed the "Trail of Blood" as an overall outline.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Didn't go to any Bible School or Seminary but sadly I have heard very little emphasis on these in the 40 years I have been a Christian, certainly not in any systematic way. I have done some reading though.

4. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in the midst of seminary, and we go into great depth about most issues in church history, and contrast what was historically taught by church leaders throughout church history, from the early church fathers through modern times. Although I'm only halfway through, so far we've talked about all the great issues, and who taught what. I've yet to take the soteriology class, so we'll see what happens. I admit my school is kinda unique in this regard, since one of the main areas of emphsis is apologetics and discernment.

I'll tell you what else is not taught: The points in church history where the secular philosophers influenced the seminaries. This is where liberalism crept in and did so much damage.

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

In the reformed theology classes and seminars they were discussed and debated in very great detail. In the Wesleyan theology classes and seminars they received much less attention. In the pre-Reformation theology classes and seminars they were scarcely mentioned at all.

[​IMG]

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

My first Church, where I spent my first five years, majored in them Bob. For the past 15 years I have not heard anything like it in my next two Churches. They were Free Evangelical, Anglican and now Baptist. Although never mentioned sola scripture is accepted by my current Church.

I have not been to college.

john.

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

I remember them from the church history class in Bible College.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think for the average Baptist, those Latin phrases probably sound too Catholic or something else that we shouldn't be associating with. ;)

9. Brother James

Brother James New Member

They're printed on our fellowships flyers and given to everyone who visits or who we have opportunity to hand it to.

10. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Sorry if tis question doesn't belong here, but judging by the replies I might be able to get an answer.

I'm interested in church history, specifically baptist church history. What books would you recommend on the subject(s)?

Thanks!

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member