1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Founder Of Luther Rice Seminary Dies

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The vision of Dr. Witty of "distance learning" revolutionized Christian Seminary education, enabling many to do so, who could not have done so, otherwise. Many have copied, but Luther Rice was and will always be the first. Disparaged, in the beginning by many, no one really disparages LR today. Thanks from many, Dr. Witty. This world's loss is truly Heaven's gain.

Ed

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

LRS has proven to be a wonderful alternative for those students unable, or sometimes unwilling, to relocate to a residential seminary. Dr. Witty was indeed a visionary theological educator.

LRS was certainly not without its blemishes, but Dr. Witty and others would not allow it to be anything like an Andersonville or Covington. While I don't understand the name change to Luther Rice University (can someone help me understand that?), the institution is without question a leader in distance education.

As a two-time grad of LRS, I directly benefited from Dr. Witty's leadership, and for that I am grateful.

Bill