1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Founding of US/ right or wrong?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by av1611jim, Feb 16, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

OK.
    Just one question;
    Who was in power when Jesus gave us this command?

Mt 22:21
    They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.
    Mr 12:17
    And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marvelled at him.
    Lu 20:25
    And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.

What is it we are to "render unto Caeser"?
    And unto "God" which is God's?

Was Caeser a "good godly" king?
    Did Jesus tell us it is ok to rebel against Caeser? Or did Jesus "support" Caeser's right to rule in spite of his ungodliness?

Remember, they were trying to trap Jesus into supporting their cause in throwing off the rule of the Roman's. He did not do it. Instead He commanded them to submit to Caeser and to trust God with their soul.

I think some are trying to make "liberty" into some kind of god. God has NEVER promised us "liberty" apart from the coming Kingdom of God.

You will also note that in the "hall of faith" in Hebrews that someone here has alluded to that they counted not their lives as anything precious but looked for a country not of this world.

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. Turpius

Turpius New Member

So....if it was wrong to rebel, we should call up Elizabeth II, apologize, and ask her to be our Queen? or ask for admission to Canada?

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Turpius;

I don't think I have addressed what should happen today. Besides that is not the point. Did you read the OP?

If you did then please address that.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

HankD;
    Thank you BTW for posting that copy of the Declaration of Independence. It furthers my point. :D

I can find nothing in Scripture where God's people have "rights". :D Unless you wish to include the "right" to suffer for His Name's sake. :D

"We hold these truths to be self evident". ;)
    Not much in scripture that supports the idea we are to rely on "Self" for discerning "truth". [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

After reading all the arguments I still believe it was right for the patriots and the founding fathers to rebell, I'm glad we had Christians that understood Romans 13 and were willing to put their lives on the line in signing the Declaration of Independence, and were willing to fight for our freedoms.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You asked, I answered.

The Scriptures have been pointed out and you disagree.

BTW the "self-evident" is not the dependence on one's own "self" but the truths themslelves are "self-evident".

RE: God's people having rights:

There are an abundance of Scriptures related to human rights both in the Old and New Testaments, how about the basic rights of personal property? Ananias and Sapphira?

Acts 5
    4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power?

Even the OT affirmed the right of personal liberty as well as the right of ownership of personal property with the Jubilee decree which returned a man's liberty as well as his property.

Leviticus 25
    9 Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.
    10 And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family.
    11 A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed.
    12 For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.
    13 In the year of this jubile ye shall return every man unto his possession.

HankD

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

avJim, Jesus' teaching of paying your taxes to Caesar has nothing to do with this.

I'm okay with paying taxes to my secular government (rendering to Caesar), but if that government decided that George Bush, and any subsequent President, was going to be Head of the newly founded American Church, I would like to think I would obey God's command and not submit to that. The second I decide not to submit to the President as the Head of my church, I would be in rebellion against the government.

King George was Head of the English Church. Is it wrong to rebel against a person who has set himself up on level with Christ?

I'm not talking about taxes, but rather his claim as Church Head, or English Pope.

That in and of itself is scripturally supported to allow rebellion.

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

One question. What does Caesar rightly own?

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

OK. Let's look at it.

Moses; "Let my people go worship God."
    Pharoah; "No."

Moses; "We're outa here!"

(Paraphrased and GREATLY shortened. LOL)

In light of that, I still contend that governing authority was commanding disobedience to God. Hence, civil disobedience was justified.

In HIS service;
    Jim
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree, but there may be a loophole here for the Isrealites. They were under seige and treated as slaves. The Egyptians were not giving them a choice to "like it or leave". They were foreigners who were once liked by the Egyptians, but later used as slaves by the Egyptians.

This is like early Americans taking slaves from Africa and not letting them return of their own free will.

I'm not debating with you on your statement, just throwing another variable on the table.

Personally, I think that Jesus made it quite clear when he said pay Ceasar what is ceasar's and God what is God's. If Ceasar claims something that God claims, then God wins, due to the other passages shown above. Laws that require "sin" or prevent the free worship of God are not under Ceasar's pervue. Just my thoughts about the matter.

Otherwise, sending Bibles into the Communist USSR would have been against God's laws, but using the Bible in context I feel that anything that goes against God's law is not a requirement of Christians; in fact it is the responsibility of Christians to take the the high ground. Look at Daniel.

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't finished it yet, but a good book re: this topic is :
    The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall & David Manuel

Basically the theme is that God chose to "found a new nation & government" for the spread of His word.

So the question becomes not "Was the revolution scriptual", but was the revolution God's will (permissive OR divine)?

Perhaps the diminishing of the British power was willed along with the beginning of a new world power of the USA!?

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Link to the SOURCE of above quote. Sorry. [​IMG]

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Poncho;
    Thanks a bunch my brother.
    Perhaps that is EXACTLY my problem?

I rest my case.

Good arguments brethren. Thanks. I may or may not change my point of view, but you all have stimulated me to deeper study of the question.

Iron sharpeneth iron.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and ditto.

HankD

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

HankD;
    At times...you are a worthy opponenet. :D

Can't help myself. Deb (my wife) says I have an obsession with getting in the last word! LOL

In HIS service;
    Jim [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya me too. My wife says the same about me.

[​IMG]

HankD