1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Four years under Baptist teaching and going back listening to Char/Pente sermons

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Squidward, Sep 23, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

There's a vast difference between making a mistake and making pretense that admitting a mistake about facts equals apologizing for an offensive and uncalled for tone. They're not one in the same, and the latter is what is important, not the former.

I do agree with you about the shallow preaching thing, but each one hopefully preaches by the ability God gives to them, 1 Pt. 4:11.

2. Squidward

Squidward Member

Hey folks, no harm and I apologize to Rev Mitchell if I wasn't clear enough using the "C/P" abbreviation. Yeah, I was in charismatic and Pentecostal churches. I will admit that the senior pastor of the non-D church I grew up in was knowledgeable in the Bible, but the sermons didn't cut the surface.

A church (Church of God) I was in 12-13 years ago was very emotionally driven looking back in hindsight. Even when I was ingrained in that church I recognized when the pastor wasn't going to preach a sermon. If he stepped up on the platform with his blue binder (he read his sermons word for word but used emotion when reading) we were getting a sermon. I always knew that when he stepped up on the platform with no binder that we were going to have one of those services famously called "Holy Ghost blowouts." What he would do when he stepped onto the platform with no binder is whisper something to the worship leader on the piano who would then begin to play that key song that got everyone "lit up" in church. Every time he stepped onto the platform without the binder I would whisper to my wife "Guaranteed, no sermon and church will last 2-3 hours." I was right every time.

I guess my point being is I've got a long way to go, but I'm much further along than what I was five years ago and I thank God for opening my eyes and also blessing me with great pastors who know the word including one who spends about an hour a week discipling me.

I feel a true calling to the ministry but would like to get a formal seminary education before I jump into that. I finished my bachelor's degree in business a year ago, but that life won't satisfy me. I'm looking into seminary. Anyone see any faults with Tennessee Temple?

#22 Squidward, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    www,sermonaudio.com

monergism .com

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Depends upon your soteriological viewpoint. If you are reformed or lean that way, it's probably not the school for you. If you're more middle of the road- probably a good fit. PM me if you want more info. I'm a grad and have a son at the college there now.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's troubling that (mis)reading about someone leaving a 'Cooperative Program church' would inspire such a visceral reaction. Bizarre.

Had no idea for a while what you meant by 'non-D church'. Non-denominational I guess?

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    welcome! I was a former elder in the Assemblie of God church, and was trained in one of their schools, so know all about Classic Pentacostal theology!

thankfully, NEVER got into the heretical word of faith, nor little gods, name it claim it theology that runs wild in charasmatic churches...

Now attend abaptist church, a full member, and went from classical pentacostal to baptist, moved from evangelical arminian to calvinist in salvation doctrine!

7. Squidward

Squidward Member

Hey guys.

Mexdeaf, Honestly, I'm somewhere in the middle as far as Arminianism and Calvinism. I was once a strict Arminian, but further deep research has me somewhere in the "undecided" range. PM forthcoming. ;)

Jerome, yeah, non-D meant non-denominational. That church and pastor never pimped prosperity but many of the leaders supported these types.

Yeshua, thank you! I was on the church board at that Church of God and always held some skepticism with their beliefs which may have helped me find the place I worship today. The whole "sanctification" as a one time event at the alter was bunk from day one with me. I've never altered from my belief that sanctification is a lifelong process.

Overall, this feeling is strange. This doesn't feel like something I want to do for fun. It almost feels like a mandate in my heart (calling into ministry), but a mandate that I want to do. Even after much prayer and time sitting in silence this afternoon I cannot shake this feeling and this mandate. I felt this way even a couple of years ago, but it's getting pretty strong now thus the reason for my return to this board after almost 18 months away.

#27 Squidward, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  8. Squidward

Squidward Member

Mexdeaf, I apologize if I sent you multiple PMs. My computer is acting funny and showing that I haven't sent any messages even though I sent one.

If you didn't get my PM, yes I would love more info on TTU through a PM. Thanks!

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Squidward

Hey guys.

Mexdeaf, Honestly, I'm somewhere in the middle as far as Arminianism and Calvinism. I was once a strict Arminian, but further deep research has me somewhere in the "undecided" range. PM forthcoming. ;)

Once you begin serious study of the word as you have , most times the light of the truth will shine through the fog that is over many churches in our day:wavey: Just pray read and study as you are doing:thumbsup::wavey:

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago I got the same feeling that God was calling me to become a pastor. I'm a retired M. Engr. and at the time I was still active in work, probably late 50's-early 60's, so this calling seemed to be to become a part-time pastor for two or three very small congregations.
    Now this would not appear to be too "off the wall" except for the fact that I am far, FAR from a "people" person. I can get along with virtually anybody, but being around more than two or three people for any extended period just totally saps my energy as I am a very extreme introvert. At any rate I was NOT pastor material.
    I fought this for months and, like Moses, kept telling Him how I was ABSOLUTELY NOT SUITED FOR THIS WORK!!!!
    Finally, I could not fight the pressure, and I told Him that if that is what He wanted, just lead me to the next step.
    Amazingly, and I do mean AMAZINGLY, that "call" just vanished.
    So I gather that for some reason all He really wanted was for me to be submissive, and once that was accomplished, well ------.:godisgood:

11. Squidward

Squidward Member

Never mind. I just realized that I had to check the box that says "save" in "messages sent." :laugh:

[​IMG]

12. Squidward

Squidward Member

I guess that being an extrovert helps not to mention the fact that being around lots of people all day is part of my job. I'm surrounded! :laugh: I work in corrections in case you're wondering so you have to be a people person and VERY patient to work that job.

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Introverts can be good pastors also. Thom Ranier has written quite a bit about introverts as pastors on his blog.

I work at a secular college not far from a Federal Prison, some of the guards come here for lunch and supper each day. I don't envy their job.

14. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey there.
    I understand completely what you're saying.
    never been a pentecostal or charismatic church member but two of my brothers, a sister, and my stepmother were, and I completely agree with what you said about the lack of depth in their teachings.

15. Squidward

Squidward Member

Hey Mexdeaf, I PM'd you back. Hope you got it. I forgot to check the "save" box again. *facepalm*

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that it is MUCH harder for someone really into the hereritical teachings from the WoF/prosperity/healing crowd than classic pentacostal as I was in, as they have to come out of a cultic mind set, that had those preachers/yeachers as the "annoited of the Lord", and modern day prophets and Apsotles, so they would feel they were leaving the way of God!

17. Squidward

Squidward Member

I can agree with that. Many pentecostal churches, while being off on many teachings, stay pretty fundamental in salvation and service to God while the charismatics are just far gone with many members/followers smitten by personalities, not by God. Think Todd Bentley and Joyce Meyers. Bentley may be the worst going right now.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Worst by far are the WoF such as hagin, Copeland, Hinn/Price etc!

19. Squidward

Squidward Member

True. The list is pretty long. What these people are selling is not salvation.