1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fourth Estate, the fourth branch of government

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by El_Guero, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

The Alien and Sedition acts. They were used by the ruling party to suppress dissent. A very unpopular move that was repealed.

And we come back to El Guero's concern:

The last of the laws, the Sedition Act, passed on July 14 declared that any treasonable activity, including the publication of "any false, scandalous and malicious writing," was a high misdemeanor, punishable by fine and imprisonment. By virtue of this legislation twenty-five men, most of them editors of Republican newspapers, were arrested and their newspapers forced to shut down.

One of the men arrested was Benjamin Franklin's grandson, Benjamin Franklin Bache, editor of the Philadelphia Democrat-Republican Aurora. Charged with libeling President Adams, Bache's arrest erupted in a public outcry against all of the Alien and Sedition Acts.

Many Americans questioned the constitutionality of these laws. Indeed, public opposition to the Alien and Sedition Acts was so great that they were in part responsible for the election of Thomas Jefferson, a Republican, to the presidency in 1800. Once in office, Jefferson pardoned all those convicted under the Sedition Act, while Congress restored all fines paid with interest.

So it's been tried before. And it backfired on the Federalists, who likely lost the election because of it. It's a bad fit for America. It's better to permit O'Reilly to broadcast and Coulter to write books, and trust in the people. The alternative is tyrrany.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Lincoln was a man from close to the era of the Framers. Lincoln continued to misuse freedom of speech until he was called out on a duel. After his duel he decided that exaggerating the faults in others was not worth the damage that it did.

He began to compliment people and learned that they improved greatly.

Exaggeration (hyperbole) is almost as dangerous as lying. The Supreme Court has ruled that extreme speech (profanity and hate speech, for example) are not protected speech.

Yes, the 'Fourth Estate' has the same rights that it did back then. But, members of this country can no longer call people out to a duel that have lied - that is a huge change that has not been addressed (redress).

Just as this Justice stated: "The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr., 1919

Yet today, most Americans have been led to believe (after years of liberal indoctrination) that the press is free to incite anger and hatred through the use of lies.

Yes, I do believe in the OP. Lying just is not beneficial. There is absolutely no reason why Journalists have retreated from the honor codes of just 30 years ago. At least Rather stepped down after publishing forgeries. But, honestly, he should have gone to jail for lying as an officer of the 'Fourth Estate'. Vietnam and the influx of communistic propaganda (& the rise of propaganda on the right as well) has damaged the ability of Americans to think rationally, clearly, and most importantly, truthfully.

What Father, what Framer, what Leader of any era, would have said, "Give me liberty (with a bunch of lying cheats like the British) or give me death?" Those words were the call to repeal the lies and inflammatory nature of oppression that had become our colonies. Why would we now want to go back to an era of oppression?

There are plenty of countries that you can go to if that is your preference.

I prefer a Free USA. Free from the fear of being misled. Free to die knowing the Truth (especially the Truth of Jesus Christ). Free and empowered by the Liberty that comes from true reformation of a country and her people.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

But why do you call the freedom of the press a loophole?

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I prefer a free USA, free from the fear of saying something that might land one in prison, the freedom to openly criticize the government, and to replace it as needed.

The safeguard against being "misled" is the free and open exchange of ideas and information, not in restricting it to an officially sanctioned "truth".

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Unlike your heros that lie in the press, I only defend the statements that I make.

I won't defend your lies. If you cannot handle freedom of speech, then move on - Iraq needs some volunteers.

Now get on task or move on.

The loophole (hyperbole) is that the Framers knew that people (especially people within the press) would misuse the freedom. But, what else do you do? Some tried the Alien and Sedition Acts. That was overboard the other way. They knew that the Alien and Sedition Acts were unconstitutional.

You came to agreement and then your little oligarchy fell apart.

Now get back on task: Should the 'Forth Estate' be allowed to lie.

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Had the revolutionary war been won by the brittish, many of our founding fathers may very well been put to death for even thier words.

Magnetic Poles is right, the free exhange we have in the US is what protects us from liars. CBS News was exposed and they paid a price for it. The Dixie Chicks paid a price for what they had to say. This is how it works in the US because our constitution allows people, and the press to say what they will, like it or not.

But, why EG, did you call the freedom of the press a loophole?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Lagardo

Your straw man is just a lie. You misuse your freedom just as you misuse God's oxygen.

Sorry about your inflaming speech - you got me to misspell your moniker I think your moniker is Lagardo not Laggard

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think a key difference is that:

They were not just my Founding Fathers, my ancestors were there. In my blood runs the same indignation at lying that they felt. Unfortunately, it is difficult to make liars become honest. Even the Blood of Christ and the regeneration of the Holy Spirit seems to fail more than I enjoy.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You really should read my family history usually called "American History".

Founders pledged their lives and their money. Many families lost their wealth and their homes. Oh to have real men lead this country again. Oh for a day when this country might go back to her Christian ideals. Oh when this country might repeal the evil sacrifice of children to the demi-god of lust, hate, lies and 'freedom' that was never the intent of the Framers.

To go back to a day when a man's word was binding.

Then again, if everyone became honest that would make it difficult for me to get a job.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

FTR

Isn't it funny how many people have totally turned their backs on this once great country? They get fat and rich and ignore what is really going on. Their straw man mentality keeps them 'fat and happy'.

I know - and I don't know what pressure the opposition used to keep him out of jail for leeking classified. One of them must be in tight with the Kennedy clan or one of the other oligarchy groups within the left wing.

Unless it was a right wing bait and switch. But, there haven't been too many outings of left wingers like there have been of right wingers IIRC. It leads me to believe that someone on the left side got ahold of Hoover's machine and it is still running IMHO.

11. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Um, no...you did in fact refer to the freedom of the press as a "loophole." This is the exact word you used. You can call it a lie all you want but the fact remains (as well as a good record of this thread) that you used the term. Many people have asked you why you would call part of the first amendment a loophole. You have refused to answer.

So I ask again, why do you call the freedom of the press, a loophole?

You are able to defend what you have said, aren't you? The founding fathers were good at backing up their words and standing by them. Does that also travel in your blood?

Its a very simple question, one that someone of your intelligence should be able to answer: why did you call the freedom of the press a loophole?

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Laggard

My ENTIRE QUOTE.

Page five.

Does the truth run in your blood? Put that straw in your pipe and smoke it.

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What about the practice of truth are you afraid of?

Would you loose your job? Would you loose your Religion? Would you loose your family? Would you loose your politic?

What about honest and integrity (the OP) scares you so?

14. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I don't think anyone in this discussion has said that they wish the press to lie, but I know that your totalitarian way of enforcing truth is scary, and limits greatly the freedom of the press that you so flippantly call a loophole. (thanks for proving that you did say it, now if you will say why, that would be nice.)

In your system of enforcing truth, who will determine what is truth?

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Strawman someone else. I can speak and write for myself.

Now if you want to say that you believe that lying is to be equated with the freedom of the press - go for it! You are free to speak for yourself.

But, you are not free to lie in my name. I make enough errors on my own without a lout lying about what I said and intended.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What are you so afraid of? What fear keeps you from the truth? Is this fear from your father beating you or your mother? [yes, I, also, can manipulate a logical fallacy]

I must say that the ability of creatures like yourself to lie - that is the loophole.

You can strawman someone else. I can speak and write for myself.

17. Magnetic Poles

Largardo, see, you will never get an answer about why he thinks the First Amendment is a loophole, or who should determine truth. All you get is nutty rants that have nothing to do with the discussion, and ad hominem attacks. He doesn't appear to even know what a strawman or other logical fallacies are, and cannot answer a single question coherently. You will get insults to you, your parents, and your dog, but never a logical debate. I have lost count of how many times you have asked him to answer your reasonable question.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Nowhere do I see the lies that have been written in my name.
    In almost every post, I see lies have hijacked the thread.
    The very lies that are the loophole in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
    Nowhere do you defend the fear that drives you to lie.

The loophole (as I have stated) is human nature. The nature of people to lie, cheat and steal.

The OP dealt with the 'Fourth Estate' checking the powers of the other branches of Government, but not being checked when it lied - that is an abuse of power.

19. Magnetic Poles

EG, I don't understand why you won't answer questions posed in good faith.

One flaw in your last post is this...the media have no power, therefore they are exempt from checks and balances. You have not made your case that they are a "fourth branch" of government. The constitution certainly conveys no special powers upon them. They can have influence, but as has been pointed out, the free market of ideas is the check and balance on this. The cure to faulty or misleading information is MORE information, not less.

Edited to add: I don't have any way to check your claim that you are related to the founding fathers, but assuming it to be true (you could be lying to us! :praying: ), it doesn't make your arguments (or lack thereof) any more credible. I am a direct descendant of Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Does that make my arguments or opinions more valid than anyone else's? No! It is the logic and factual presentation that give my opinions weight.

#119 Magnetic Poles, Aug 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2006
  20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Mag

Would you lie to me? Would you? Would you really lie to me?

I would not lie to you. Even for economic gain (billions of dollars (us)).

Isn't it amazing just how little you have read and understood of what I intended as I wrote? You have become so excited, that you would misread truth as an untruth.

I wrote what I meant on the fly & in haste. Like grandpa always said, maker certain every shot counts - you may not get a second. Even in haste, I was hitting what I intended. You took what I intended and read something entirely different into it. OK. It was claimed that I had to intend what what others claimed I meant and not what I meant. So I clarified.

Even in haste - I did not say that my ancestors were my (our) Founding Fathers. I tho't for a moment in time that maybe I had written in such haste (the whole truth I seldom discuss) that I had written something that I did not intend to write.

The truth is that every American that has come from a family that has been here 250 years* has ties, good and bad, to the leaders of the colonies. There might be a few isolated exceptions, but I doubt it. There just were not that many people in colonial times (about 3 million by the 1790 census).

I still haven't told you who my people were. I have let some crumbs drop here and yonder - but, most of those cards I keep close - because people just don't respect the truth.

adios

* the last of my family got here 250 years ago - they did party a little too hardy. But, what a party they started. Shoot, by the time they finished their party - the rest of the family joined in. And the rest of the family had gotten here as fast as they could have and lived to tell about it. Well some got here so fast that they did not live to tell about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.