1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fox News' Pro-Giuliani Conflict of Interest

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Rufus_1611, May 16, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Fox News' Pro-Giuliani Conflict of Interest

Rudy Giuliani's much-publicized but misleading put-down of Ron Paul during Tuesday night's Republican presidential debate should have been tempered by a report that Saudi Arabia, the country that spawned most of the 9/11 hijackers, has been one of Giuliani's lucrative foreign clients. However, Fox News questioners Chris Wallace and Wendell Goler did not bring it up.

Perhaps this can be explained by the fact that the same Associated Press story that named Saudi Arabia as a Giuliani client listed News Corporation, the parent company of Fox News, as another Giuliani client. This AP story, which was not disputed by Giuliani or News Corporation, was carried on the Fox News website.

This writer had raised questions about Fox News' co-sponsorship of the debate, based on the fact that the company had a relationship with Giuliani when he was mayor of New York City. But now we know that the relationship has continued into the period of time that Giuliani has been planning a presidential run. It is an obvious conflict of interest.

It was during a discussion of foreign policy that Paul, a Texas congressman, identified U.S. involvement in the Middle East, especially in Iraq, as a factor in the 9/11 attacks. Giuliani pounced on that, saying the claim was worse than absurd. "Rudy's Wrath" was the headline as Fox News proclaimed Giuliani the winner of the exchange. However, the Fox News text-message poll, with 40,000 votes, gave Paul 25 percent over Giuliani's 19 percent. Mitt Romney came in first with 29 percent.

Giuliani was the first Republican candidate to come on Fox News after the debate and talk about his performance. Co-host Sean Hannity wanted to focus on Giuliani's comments on 9/11 and his attack on Paul. Later, Michael Steele, Maryland's former Lieutenant Governor, was on Fox News, declaring that Giuliani had destroyed Ron Paul. "It's done," Steele said of Paul's campaign. It wasn't mentioned that Giuliani had campaigned for Steele when he ran for a Maryland Senate seat.

...​

2. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Mmmmm, taste the fairness, with just a hint of balance...

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds pretty much like any other network.

I'm curious why anyone would hold FOX to a higher journalistic standand than other networks.

I didn't hear of the other networks, when asking of foreign affairs at the democrat debate , mention the Clinton financial ties to the Chinese.

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

What questions did the Chinese ask at the Democratic debate?

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

At least they weren't asked what about America do you hate the most.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same number of questions the Saudis did on the FOX debate.:thumbs:

7. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Setting the Saudis aside...how many questions did Fox ask Giuliani? Did Fox allow any "debate" irregularities such as Giuliani interjecting out of turn to criticize another candidates question (not that I really minded as it was the closest these "debates" have gotten to actually being a debate and it gave Paul excellent pub)? Did Fox have one of their "personalities" give Giuliani interview priority and then badger another candidate who was opposed to Giuliani? Did Fox give all the candidates equal time or did select candidates such as Giuliani get a bit more than other candidates? Is there any possibility that Fox is showing favoritism towards Giuliani and is it at all possible that this is due to Fox's relationship with Giuliani?

I don't really mind about any of this as their favoritism is back firing. The more Giuliani speaks the lower his numbers become, the more Paul speaks the more momentum he gets and the more Faux News continues to show its colors the more people are beginning to see how Corporate Media is attempting to manipulate the outcome of this election (as well as other things).

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Sean Hannity couldn't get anymore into Giuliani's pocket if he were 2 inches tall, greased up, and sewn into the liner.

He has said on numerous occassions that he backs Giuliani for President, so why was he then doing the post-debate interview of all the candidates? I watched the debate to hear the candidates, not Hannity's opinion on who is or is not heartless and immoral (which, btw, would better suit Giuliani with his stance on abortion and his personal infidelity).

I disagree with Alan Colmes about 99% of the time, but he is much more fair and accomodating to "adversaries" than is Sean Hannity. I kind of had the feeling that Colmes wanted to endorse Dr. Paul right there.:laugh:

9. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

Hello Bro. James Reed,

I typically catch the Hannity talk show on my drive home and have listened to many interviews of the candidates, however I have never heard him endorse Giuliani for President! As you claim.

Can you show where he has endorsed Giuliani as you state he has done so many times, as I think your statement is false. In order to clarify I did google to see if anything would turn up in which nothing did.

I have heard him state many times that he likes something about all of the candidates! Meaning he may not agree and have issues with some of their stances, which would include Giuliani, but that all were better than anyone the Democrats would offer. Of course! I also heard him defend his interviews, as he stated a caller was mistaken, in feeling one of her favorites had not gotten quite as much air time. He in fact had interviewed the candidate numerous times.

Yes, I do feel Hannity favors Giulliani but he has not endorsed him. I think he considers him a personal friend and greatly admires his leadership during 911. I for one cannot stand Giulliani and I do feel Hannity somewhat gives him a pass due to the above. However, I feel if Newt Gingrich runs he would definitely endorse him at some point. Hannity also had a great interview with Fred Thompson and you could tell he likes his positions as well, as I do. http://conservativethoughts.us/2007/05/02/fred-thompson-interview-with-sean-hannity/

Where the Hannity/Colmes show is concerned, it really is more the Hannity show as conservative in nature. Colmes is there to add balance. Therefore, they have many more liberal and indeed controversial figures on the show due to that. Naturally, Hannity would have more to debate and such is often more contentious because of those type "adversaries".

take care.

#9 Ralph III, May 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And not just FOX . It was going on long before they even existed.

11. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Hello

The statement is not false. While I do not listen to his radio show, I have watched Hannity and Colmes almost religiously for many years. That is, up until the last several months.

For several years now, Hannity has stated on the program that he would love for Giuliani to be President. Those are my own words, of course, but they convey the point Hannity has made. Of course, he may have just been pandering to him because he keeps prodding Newt Gingrich to run as well, but my point still stands. Of all those in the debates, Hannity definitely has a bias in favor of Giuliani.

As far as Dr. Paul goes, if Hannity wanted to offer some critique of his performance during the debate, then fine. But, saying Dr. Paul's stance is immoral and wrong and refusing to let Dr. Paul thoroughly explain, that is not critique of the debate.

I used to agree with much of what Hannity said, but Alan Comles has definitely always been more fair and open to those he is interviewing, allowing them ample time to explain their positions. Hannity does not interview as much as he tells the interviewee what he thinks about them and his own loose , and often very wrong, interpretations of their views.

As far as something as important as presidential debates goes, Hannity needs to present the actual views of those he is supposed to be interviewing, not castigating, question them about those views, allowing them ample time to clarify their views, and then let the people decide if the candidate is right.

Wolf Blitzer interviewed Dr. Paul on CNN and did an outstanding job. He asked Dr. Paul if it was indeed his position that 9/11 was America's fault, as so many are falsely reporting he said, and then gave Dr. Paul ample opportunity to explain what he was saying and further elaborate.

See that interview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78jy...eID=3492416701&Mytoken=56C35B60-6560-42C0-91B

This is a fair interview and gives a fair representation of what Dr. Paul is talking about.

James

12. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

What did you expect from the Faux News Channel?

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Talk about much adu about nothing.

14. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You mean Faux News?
    I would agree with you on that.
    :thumbs: