1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred Phelps & his "Baptist" Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Friend of God, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Fred "I hate Fags" Phelps and his half-baked "church" are at it again. The showed up to protest a fallen serviceman's funeral in Flint, MI, then were upset because none of the property owners surrounding the funeral home would give them permission to protest on their property. They decided to leave" this filthy, god hating" town on their own - nobody was making them leave, stated Phelp's daughter, an attorney.
    I owned a funeral home for over thirty years, and I'll tell you one thing: If those goofballs had ever shown up to do their act at my funeral home they would have been screaming "First Ammendment" from Jail. The family's rights are first & foremost. Phelps can worry about his rights from behind bars. If he doesn't like me - he doesn't have to ever come back.
    Michigan recently passed a law prohibiting funeral protests, unfortunately it doesn't take effect until September. Phelp's daughter, the attorney, said originally that they would obey the laws in States that had enacted them, now she says they don't have to obey laws passed by the "Michigan Taliban"
    Fine with me, Counselor - Just try to get bail.
    That's my rant for the day.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Phelps are a cult and like most cults they think that everyone who disagrees with them is of the devil and is evil.

Phelps wife was interviewed by Way of The Master radio and was, to put it mildly, humiliated. When the host started to get too Biblical she had something she had to hang up and do. What does that tell you? They have their "pet" verses they have taken out of context, but beyond that they can do nothing but scream and call people evil. They need to read John 8:1-11. How did Jesus handle sinners? The people Jesus had His strongest words for were the legalists (Matt 23).

I really hate to say this but I doubt Fred Phelps, or anyone in his cult, will hear Jesus say "well done". :tear:

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

These poor pitiful people need our prayers. They are such a hindrance to the cause of Christ. To say I cringe when they come on the news is an understatement.

Hindrance isn't quite the right word -- there are so many more that are more apt . . .

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've met Fred face-to-face as he comes to Casper every year to protest. (A casper sodomite was murdered by two men in the Laramie region after he had thought one was a sodomite and had "come on" to him).

So the young man's funeral was here and now, on the anniversary of his death, Fred comes to town and "protests".

Anybody got a clue where they get the $$ to travel all over the USA? Their "church" cult is less than 100 and almost all inbred family. There has to be MAJOR funding behind this and much more than meets the eye.

Some here suggest that funding comes from PRO-sodomite/lesbian sources in hopes of making Fred et al look stupid and actually be a PLUS for the gay movement.

I think that's giving too much credit. Fred seems to be hateful and stupid all on his own . .

5. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Sounds logical that he is being used as a pawn. Ive seen many instances where the devil has fooled people with their own logic. This is just another instance.

May God find him and grab him by the heart.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Phelps family "cult" needs to learn the meaning of the following Holy Spirit inspired Words...

"If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or clanging cymbal.
    If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
    And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
    Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
    does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
    bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

1Corinthians 13:1-7

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I had the misfortune to hear him "Preach" several years ago.
    At that time I didn't even know who he was.

On the one hand, the sin of sodomy needs a lot more people standing up against it but the way Phelps is doing it merely makes us all look bad.

I had some friends that got caught up in the whole Phelps thing and started protesting as well.

They no longer even speak to us.

I suppose maybe that is a good thing since

I never actually met Phelps....not sure I would even want to.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

my thoughts....

-I'm looking forward to the day when he can't sire any more followers.

-Why does the sin of homosexuality bother them so much more than any other sin? As bad as he's hung up on that sin, it does make one wonder about his past, etc...

-Dr B., I don't think I could be surprised as to who is bankrolling the Phelps Klan. He's a HUGE moneymaker for news organizations. He's such a lightnig rod--any talk show would be glad to have his bigoted self in the news...it guarantees listeners. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if some radical pro-gay organization bankrolls them--it then would allow them to marginalize Christians. (I remember Katie Couric on the Today show really hammering the "guilt by association" and the "creating an atmosphere of hate, thus fostering violence." She used Phelps and his ilk as examples.)

-It would do my heart good if NO ONE gave them any publicity. They'd dry up almost immediately.

-Do you reckon, that if any of them are actually saved they'll be MAD at God when they find out that He loves gays, and seeks to redeem them too?

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree and I posted an entire thread on the point that he is in the best interest of the GLBT crowd.

He is only helping their cause.