1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Fred Suicide Watch"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ivon Denosovich, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Here the rumors fly that FT will quit BEFORE New Hampshire. Pretty sad for a guy who most thought won the nomination before the first vote was even cast.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even before Fred Thompson entered the race I questioned whether he had the fire in the belly to run for president.

In like manner I wonder if Ron Paul has the necessary fire in and of himself. Fortunately, we, his supporters, have more than enough fire to keep him running for president. :)

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I'm really disappointed. I liked him as a Senator and I was ready to get behind him.

But if he's not going to take his own campaign seriously, then how can we count on him to take the presidency seriously?

So, right now, unless somebody better comes along, it looks like it's going to be Huckabee.

4. MrJim

MrJim New Member

He waited too long...

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rumors about his political death are premature . Or : Reports of his political death have been highly exaggerated .

Really folks , isn't all this talk before the votes have been tallied a bit in bad taste ?

#5 Rippon, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

What would his finish need to be for him to drop out? Some think he will finish 3rd tonight...

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand why candidates drop out so quick after the first two primary States.
    Consider tis scenario:
    The Senators and congressman of New Hampshire and Iowa come together for a caucus. Senator Joe want to pass a constitutional amendment that would permit the federal govt to change traffic lights so the green is always on the top. Out of the 11 ( 4 sen & 7 reps) only 2 say they would vote for the amendment. That amounts to 18%, therefore Sen Joe never brings up the amendment up to the full Senate.
    Now, we should not dismiss the thoughts of the men of these two States, but they do not represent the entire United States. Likewise, Americans should not base their vote for President solely on the outcome of NH and Ia. The problem is Americans like to vote for the winner.

Thoughts?

Salty

PS, there is one traffic light in the US with the green on top
    link to: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1158735#post1158735

#7 Salty, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This whole thing annoys me . It's a hit piece . It's not an honorable thing to put out to the public -- especially the Iowa public on the very day of elections there . Besides , I think it is a pack of lies anyway . Rumor , gossip -- how appealing to the baser instincts !

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish as high as 3rd and become a bit of a dark horse.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He is one of the higher quality candidates, and would hate to see him leave. Ken H does have a good point. If one watches one of his talks on C-SPAN, he appears to be just this side of sleep.

I would like to see Paul, Huckabee, and Thompson finish is some order for the top three. That would knock Romney and Giuliani down a few notches.

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

You and me both, Salty. The talk that I heard last night was how Iowa has so much power to elect the president. I'd like somebody smarter than I am to explain why a state with a mere 7 electoral votes supposedly has so much power.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

People said the same thing about Reagan. And Dean was castigated for showing emotion. So where is this middle ground the Paris Hilton media clamor for? Call me rare, but I like substance over style.