1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Press or Controlled Press

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jimmy C, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

In another thread I responded to a comment by ShannonL regarding the GA Baptist Paper.

My question for this board is do you think that the SBC is better off with a controlled press - Baptist Press, that they controll and have the ability to spin stories to the liking of the executive committee of the SBC or with a free press.

Should we have been able to get the complete story about Wade Burleson from BP, how about a fair and balanced reporting of the sole member issue regarding NOBTS.

With the advent of Blogs, the issue may not matter much anymore, but for the next few years, most people will continue to get their news from the state Baptist papers (if the bother to read them), however, most folks that attend the SBC probably get thier news from BP. BP has been an effective tool for the conservative resurgence.

I personally read a diverse range of opinions in the regular press - even though I am very conservative politically, I try to read Molly Ivins, or check out the Slate website so that I know what the other side is thinking.

I think the SBC is worse off with a controlled BP than we would be with a truly free press that would hold all agencies of the SBC's feet to the fire - and demand accountability.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Isn't this typical though? Most organizations that publish papers about news in their organization don't give them free reign to tell all.