1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Will- Result of Emotional Handicap?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 24, 2010.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I thank God that He gives us free choice. He even allows Luke to continue to say the same misguided things over and over and over...

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Oh my, where to begin? :laugh:

Doesn't the selfishness that is inherent in this statement directly contradict the love, mercy and graciousness of God that is described many times in scripture? Can you even see how selfish this description of God's so-called motives is?

This from the man who just told the world that freewillers are "emotionally handicapped"? You can dish it out but you just can't take it can you, Luke?

Why is it so hard to for you to believe that God allows both sin AND freewill? Jesus, as someone in thread has already alluded to, allowed Judas to be a part of His own inner circle and also allowed him(Judas) to betray Him. Who made the choice of betrayal, Christ who knew it would happen or Judas who entered the sanctuary of the priests?

Christ also explained salvation clearly to the rich young ruler. Scripture tells us that Christ loved the young man. Yet the young fellow refused to give up his riches for the ones Christ would supply. Who made that choice? Chrst who loved? Or the young man who couldn't let go of his lifesyle?

4. quantumfaith

If Luke would learn to be more gracious in "his" statements, views, interpretations and opinions, it might be more convincing to someone who may be theologically on the fence between Cal and non-cal..... On second thought maybe not.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke, if God determines that I hate liver and love hamburger, then how do you explain a person's tastes changing? Many children hate vegatables, but come to love them as an adult. Did God change his decree? I loved to pour several spoonfuls of sugar on my cornflakes when I was a kid, now I do not like to put sugar on them. Did God decree this? Why did he do this?

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who controls the changing of taste buds.

In HIM we live and move and have our being.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am very patient with those who are on the fence.

But I confess my weakness to TOTALLY lack patience with those who are just obstinately refusing to face clear, logical, scriptural truth.

You see, Quanum, this ain't my first rodeo.

I have helped several folks come to see the truth of the Doctrines of Grace.

You see a handful on here who I get tired of dealing with and see how I respond to them in utter frustration and you think that the way they see me is how most folks do. You are wrong.

People who are at all interested in seeing it from my perspective generally find me benevolent.

People who obstinately resist plain facts find me to be quite a bear.

In do not argue that I should be that way. And I am working on it.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

10. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Life to ourselves

John 5:26
    For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.

Have we been granted a life to ourselves?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Aren't these the ones that require the most grace and patience? Also, do know that you do not hold immutable truth, and if many (most) disagree with you by "refusing" your position, they are not refusing clear, logical, scriptural truth...they are refusing your understanding of it. Ginormous difference.

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have missed the Bible buss on that one.
    Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Jas 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
    Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
    2Co 8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
    LOL!!! Well what can I say God isn't calf liver is He?

Let's say a homeless man wonders into a mission for a free meal. He doesn't want to hear about Jesus. He's just hungry. He hasn't eaten for a week. All the mission is serving is beans but, the man hates beans. He sits there in a chair listening to the preacher preach a sermon based on another man who had so much pride that he starved to death because he wouldn't eat what was given him.
    I have no idea if you've ever really been hungry. Hunger has a way of convincing you that any food will do. All that has to happen is for you to be hungry enough. This man was to that point in his hunger. Sure the guy could have said no! I will not eat beans but, his senses convinced him these beans were really good. The man eats the beans anyway and discovers he likes them and even asked for more.

After eating the beans resting in a fold out chair the preacher comes over to him and tells him about Jesus Christ and how our Lord died for the sins of the whole world. He and the Spirit convinces this man he needs Jesus in his life. He see's himself on the bottom end of everything. Nothing is working for him and he knows he's not going to make it with out help. He realizes that he smells and his skin has all kinds of irratations and he is so uncomfortible physcially and spiritually. He's completely destitute. He didn't come there for Jesus but, all of a sudden Jesus seems to good to pass up. The man submits to Christ and his life is forever changed.

How did this happen? He became convinced he needed the Lord Jesus. He didn't come there for Jesus. He had no desire for Jesus. However his desire was changed.

When any of us reach the end of our selves we can be convinced of another path and our desires can change.
    MB

13. SimpleMan

SimpleMan New Member

[snipped - warning about questioning salvation of God's elect] Now I know in the OT he did have his favorites but when Jesus came on the scene, everyone gained access to grace (Gentile, Jew, Greek, Calvinists, and yes even Arminians,etc..) Your beliefs only teach me a few things about your god. First, that he does show "respect of person", because he only chooses to regenerate, save some people, not all. He has power to change my will but only chooses to change your will. Second, since he's able to change wills, then he must be a weak god, since some wills are never changed. Thirdly, the followers of your god have no real purpose, because he doesn't need them for anything. He does everything on his own. What point is a preacher or church that believes in this god. He's the one who changes people's will, so preaching, going to church, testifying, all of this is pointless. Matter of fact, you writing this ridiculous post was pointless because it can't change peoples' minds, that's left up to your god. No matter how many posts you make, you'll never be able to change minds or wills because only God does that. Sounds to me like a god that I don't want to serve. My God, on the other hand, wants everyone to be saved and to follow his commandments and live up to our covenant with him (that was made when we were saved). He wants people who truly and wholeheartedly love Him by there own choice. I love my kids with all my heart, but I can't force them to love me and I wouldn't want to force them. Because that's not real love, is it? That's totally something else. If I want true love, all I can do, is teach them, love them, forgive them when they fail, and always be there for them. Eventually they'll see that I'm genuine and have their best interest at heart, then they'll either choice to love me on those merits or rebel and go their own way. This is the same way my God works.
    If God's main motive is to see people saved, then why doesn't He just change everybody's will at once? He has that power, right? Then everybody would be regenerated and He could go ahead and wind things up here on earth and we could all get out of here. I agree with some Calvinist views and some Arminian views, but most of all, I agree with the Bible and the Holy Spirit which lives in me and helps guide me. We all need to put our focus on God and not on some warped personal views.

#33 SimpleMan, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  14. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

?

Acts 10:
    34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

Romans 2:
    9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

Is no respector of person and does not show favoritism have the same meaning?

15. quantumfaith

That is due to the proverbial "good will and pleasure" of God.

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

These are the ones who are most like the Pharisees Jesus dealt with. So no.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

God DOES have his chosen people- the Bible teaches that. If you deny it, I suppose you are probably the only one on baptistboard.

No one said the Calvinists are the ones who are god's chosen people. Christians are.

Site your sources, please.

There is not a soul on baptistboard who denies this. Please pay attention to what you are saying. EVERYONE believes God chooses to save some people.

I do not believe there are any universalists here.

Yes, clearly you do not understand the Calvinist position at all.

Two things:

Does your god need you?

Secondly, God needs people if he desires to DISPLAY his glory.

The greatest and noblest of points- His glory.

God ordains the means as well as the ends.

That may be the truest thing you have said heretofore.

I am VERY sorry to hear that.

How's that going for Him?

God does not need to force anybody to do anything.

God just makes them willing. He changes their heart.

Is it your contention that love must be able to choose to love or not love in order for it to be real love?

Site your sources please- otherwise this is opinion and conjecture.

Now you're on to something. It is NOT his main motive.

The most warped views in the history of the church have come from people who say the Holy Spirit told them something.

Ever heard of Jim Jones?

No. The Bible is what you must use.

18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Simpleman, let me caution you here. It is a huge infraction of BB rules to question the salvation of another and the above quote comes mighty close to that. The Mods on this board take a dim view of stuff like this. I'm just saying....

Wanna come play? :D http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=69379

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One, you are not Jesus dealing with Pharisees. Two, you don't hold immutable truth as Jesus did...so yes, I believe you are to show patience and love to your "opponents". Three, we are not lost like the Pharisees...it is a violation of BB to question the salvation of others.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I believe you should love them, Webdog, but that does not mean you can't rip their hide.

One of NUMEROUS examples of this is Paul ripping Peter a new one.

That's the only way to get through to a lot of people- even people you love.

And BTW, as I have pointed out and will be glad to do so again with the post of the 30+ insults you spewed at people on here in a few weeks time- a reprimand from you on this matter is the pot calling the kettle black isn't it?