1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freedom of speech

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by El_Guero, Aug 2, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Freedom of speech is what?

Is freedom of speech the freedom to lie? Is it freedom to incite to anger? Is it freedom to use doublespeak in order to influence other people to make a decision that they would not make if they had the truth?

I don't think so. Not only do I think that lies are not covered under the Constitution, I do not believe that lies are part of Christian morality.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Freedom to say what you will. There are some limits to that.

[quiote]Is freedom of speech the freedom to lie?[/quote]

Yes, in most cases. It is illegal to lie in certain circumstances, but usually, it's not.

Yep, providing it doesn't incite to illegal acts.

Absolutely.

If so, about 98% of all advertising in this country is illegal, and about 100% of all political advertising is.

The Constitution provides freedom of all speech. It is not illegal to lie, except under specific circumstances. You're right that it's not part of Christian morality, though. The fouinders correctly understood that the law is not to make us moral.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Its very important to realize that the only speech that would need to be protected by government is that which is offensive to someone. Nobody complains about speech that everyone likes to hear. However, humans, by nature can choose to say anything, offensive or otherwisel; truth or lie; inciting or benign. The first amendment acknowledges our natural freedom and protects that.

4. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

There is no absolute freedom!

Companies and Commercials are liable for false advertising. Labels on medication or viatamins do have certain standards to meet. You cannot scream "fire" in a theatre. You cannot slander someone without possibility of penalty. Most communities have a limit on loud noises after a certain time in residential areas. etc.

I understand where El_Guero is going though. In many cases there should be more regulation with speech. Maybe it is not so much "regulation" of speech as it is "accountability" with speech.

Sure you can play your car stereo screaming out vulgarities, but should such be an absolute right? Or do I have a right in not having to hear such vulgarities blaring out and in protecting my children from it? There should be some balance.
    :wavey:

#4 Ralph III, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I agree with Lagardo, that it is offensive speech that needs protection, as there is no outcry to censor popular speech. Ralph, you are correct about limitations, such as slander, libel, etc. However, limits on speech should be VERY few. We don't have a right to not be offended. If everytime speech offended anyone, we'd soon have no free speech left at all. After all, some consider the gospel message offensive.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

How are you going to stop the politicians from lying? Is it a lie if they believe what they say?

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If a politicians lies in the woods and no one is there to hear him, does he make a sound? :tongue3:

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Depends on how long he's been lying there.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Mag

Much better than most. But, I gotta ask: "Did you intend the double negative?" 'Cause the double negative I would have to agree with. I do have the right to be offended - down home we called that common decency.

10. Ralph III

Ralph III New Member

I am not calling for more regulations on speech and agree such should be carefully weighed.

But the fact is there are regulations on speech and conduct. So the notion, when people scream "they will regulate all speech" if we allow some speech regulations, is hollow.
    The argument that they will take away some religious freedom's with additional regulations is also null. As religious freedom's have been under attack for decades now by certain groups. Which have been able to introduce legislation contrary to the founding of this Nation and contrary to the vast majority.

The problem may not be so much the freedom of speech as with the accountability of speech. If you want to give a lecture in public, OK. But I don't think a lecture in public full of vulgarity, hate language, and a insidious manner, should be without penalty.

There can be standards.:wavey:

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I agree with that!

:wavey:

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

That's more of a smell....

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That depends on exactly what in woods he is lying on... grass, underbrush, a blanket, an ant bed.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Can we give them a lie detector test?

15. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

If someone truly believes what they say, even if it is not true, they will pass a lie detector test.

Also, lie detectors are incredibly easy to beat.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is true if one knows how to cheat at it . . .

There went that idea!

17. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Ironically, honest people are easiest to catch, because they have a conscience. Truly amoral people tend to get through lie detector tests.

18. chadnrachel

chadnrachel New Member

Lying is not a part of freedom...

Lying is not a part of freedom, but we do have the freedom to lie.

Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

True freedom does involve truth. But, to answer your question as human beings with a free will, we have the freedom to lie...but freedom does not always mean morally right.

With freedom, there is always consequences. Some good, some bad. You must choose how you will use your freedoms.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Islamofascists, such as the Taliban, certainly don't believe in freedom of speech.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Neither do Christofascists.