1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freemasonry vs. Christianity

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by O.F.F., Jul 11, 2004.

1. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Pledge: To make a solemn binding promise; swear.

Vow: swearing to the truth of a statement

I did not think it necessary to post more deffinitions but again according to the dictionary Pledge and Vowing is the same as swearing. They do mean the same thing. To Promise.

When you Pledge Allegance it is to one nation under God. You are saying you will fight for this NAtion who is under God's Rule. Thus you are Pledging as God as you witness to the Nation of which He is over.

As a Mason you Promise as God as your witness not to knowing reveil the secrets of Freemasonry. The penalty following the Obligation is a reminder of what happened to those who were tourtured for being a Freemason.

2. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Obligation: A social, legal, or moral requirement, such as a duty, contract, or promise that compels one to follow or avoid a particular course of action. The act of binding oneself by a social, legal, or moral tie.

Most Masons I know call it an Obligations not sure if this helps thou.

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Jacob

Well we have beat this horse to death and neither one of us is going to change our minds. As always I do appreciate your spirit as we discuss these things. I don't agree with you and I worry about you, but I appreciate you as well.

Bro Tony

4. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

One of those little-known facts of the NT: words are not always interpreted and/or expressed with the full thrust of meaning from the original. Thus it is, we have words that carry much the same denotation, yet are interpreted very differently. An example:

There we go now, we've got "obligation" and "prayer" and "vow" on the same page. So James was saying, in essence, "The fervent, effectual vow of a righteous man availeth much" (James 5:16). Not sure exactly what this indicates in the case of Elijah and him "praying" that it would not rain. Since the verse begins with "confess your faults," it could be indicating a prayerful vow to forsake a particular sin, one which might have led to the illness.

One commentary on the subject:

The voluntary nature of it is emphasized here, that it is not of command. No conflict with Freemasonry on that point, very specific in making sure of the "of my own free will and accord" part.

But what about what Jesus said? The word used there appears only once that I can find:

"You have heard it said of old, do not forswear thyself (commit perjury), but perform unto the Lord thine oaths."

But in the following verse, when He says "do not swear at all," He immediately follows it with a list of things to swear by: not by heaven, not by the earth, not by Jerusalem, not by your head. The word in Greek signifies "to take or declare on." In other words, an object is appealed to as though it held some sway in the thing promised. A lot of common English expressions have arisen from this very practice: "by golly," (euphemism for God), "by George," "by cracky," "by jiminy," and a host of others.

The whole idea expressed in His comments about things sworn by seems to indicate this practice of adding force to one's declarations, especially when He follows it with "let your yes be yes, and your no be no." That's a far different idea than solemnly and prayerfully vowing or committing undertakings to God.

5. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

http://ncbible.org/resources/ActsComm18.html

6. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Bro Tony could you provide input on these verses.

Hebrews 7:20God took an oath that Christ would always be a priest, but he never did this for any other priest. 21Only to Jesus did he say,

"The Lord has taken an oath
    and will not break his vow:
    `You are a priest forever.' "[4]
    22Because of God's oath, it is Jesus who guarantees the effectiveness of this better covenant.

7. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

"Bro. Tony" seems to be indisposed at the moment.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

As I said earlier some things came up. I have been taking care of my father who suffered a stroke. So Mr. Worm don't assume things you do not know.

Jacob,

I just stopped by the web now because I haven't been home since Thursday morning. I will try to answer your question on Monday morning, right now I have to get ready for services tomorrow. I would appreciate your prayers as we try to take care of my father.

Bro Tony

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sorry to hear about your father's stroke, Bro Tony!

Will pray for him and your family.

10. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

Yes Bro Tony this issue is no where near important as your Father. I will pray for your father.

11. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Thanks all, and I must apologize to the Worm, although we are miles apart in our thinking, it was in another thread that I said I had to leave for something urgent, it was not appropriate for me to snap at you that way. Please forgive.

Everyone have a great day in Jesus tomorrow.

Bro Tony

12. O.F.F.

O.F.F. New Member

Mr. Worm said:

I am man (human) enough to admit that my actions and words are not always as Christian as I would like them to be. Like most of us, my flesh gets in the way at times.

But the real mystery to me is, how a Christian pastor can be so bold and arrogant to think that some members of the Body of Christ are so blind to the wool he is trying to pull over our eyes and consider such behavior Christian. Not that I doubt that you are Christian, just that your actions so far have been IMO extraordinarily questionable. As a result, your credibility is shot and I really don't think anyone here really values your opinion.

O.F.F.

13. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

No apologies necessary, the remark was not intended to offend, though in hindsight I easily see why it was taken that way. Sorry to hear about your Father, you and he both have my prayers.

14. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

The title of this thread is an oxymoron, a false dichotomy in which many people would have others believe the two are at odds. Freemasonry is allegorical and symbolic, and when accused on the basis of literal interpretation of symbolic elements, it is accused falsely. Albert Pike was one person who knew as well as anyone its symbolic nature, and he also knew not only the general interpretation of symbols for all of Freemasonry, he also understood and discussed in detail the specific interpretation of those symbols for the Christian. In Morals & Dogma , he very clearly discusses the symbolism found in the first three degrees of Masonry, and the significance as they are applied from a Christian viewpoint:

15. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

PART TWO:

16. O.F.F.

O.F.F. New Member

To all,

It is interesting to note that the "Worm" continues to show evidence in his posts that he is in fact the Masonic "Rev" we suspect him to be. His past two posts are similar to ones he posts on the discussion board of Ex-Masons for Jesus at: http://www.ephesians5-11.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/kunk/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics, using the pseudonym "Rev" Wayne under such topics as "The Masonic Concept of God," "Masonic Teachings Concerning Salvation" and others. Feel free to visit and read his posts there and you will soon discover that this person sounds very much like "The Worm."

He is as fond of quoting Albert Pike there, to put forth his "symbolic" argument in defense of Freemasonry, as he is here. If fact he often uses some of the exact same quotes.

Recently under his other pseudonym he said the following:

My question to him is; if Freemasonry is so "symbolic" rather than "specific" why is he trying to convince us with Pike quotes that it is so Christian? If Freemasonry's "symbolism" can be interpreted to include images across a variety of religions throughout the world, then we as Christians should avoid it entirely. All other religions are false according to Scripture and the bible says that since they don't represent truth they are evil. As Christians, we are told in God's Word to abstain from and avoid all appearance and anything remotely symbolic of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

If, for example, Freemasonry can be viewed by a Hindu as Hinduism or by a Muslim as Islamic, and by a fellower of Jesus as Christian all at the same time, then I would argue that it's symbolism is purposely designed to create syncretism: "The combination or reconciliation of differing beliefs or practices in religion, philosophy, etc., or an attempt to effect such compromise." Therefore, in my opinion, it is a deceptive counterfeit that Christians should avoid. In my view, such philosophy is Satan's subtle way of creating universalism among conflicting faiths and religions. Yet the Worm would argue:
    Biblical truth should urge Christians to disagree with Freemasonry.

Mike Gentry
    An Ex-Mason for Jesus

17. O.F.F.

O.F.F. New Member

To all who may be interested in attending:

The details for the 14th annual Ministry to Masons Conference have been finalized. It will take place at Evangelistic Ministries Church in Jacksonville, Arkansas on September 17th and 18th, 2004. Jacksonville is located twelve miles Northeast of Little Rock. Evangelistic Ministries Church is located at 101 N. Elm Street in Jacksonville.

The 2004 conference will examine Freemasonry and seek to answer the question, "Does Freemasonry honor God?" This conference is FREE and open to the public. Local church leaders and members, as well as the general public are encouraged to attend. Masons are also welcome to attend. There is no registration fee, or attendance fee. Registration is not required, non-reserved seating is available on a first come, first seated basis.

For more information on the speakers, the topics they are presenting, directions to the conference, etc., please click here:

http://www.ephesians5-11.org/pdf/flyer_2004.pdf

Mike Gentry
    Order of Former Freemasons

18. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

So many rules were broken in this post the whole thing was deleted.
    No posting things knowingly false,
    no personal attacks,
    no invasions of another poster's privacy,
    show grace to other posters
    No posting slander
    Etc..

[ July 31, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Gina L ]

19. frewtloop

frewtloop Guest

Then we shall have to abandon the most important one of all, the Cross. After all, it has been found in the symbology of quite a few other religions. A serpent on a cross was common in Egypt. A cross within a circle within a crescent was associated with Mercury, and became an emblem of the Supreme Deity. Some of the Druid temples found in Ireland and Scotland were built in the shape of a cross. Priests of Horus had their vestments covered with crosses. Plato said, "The next Power to the Supreme God was decussated or figured in the shape of a Cross on the Universe." It has also figured in the religious systems of Assyria, India, Persia, and others. Buddha is said to have died upon it, Krishna was said to have expired on a cross, pierced with arrows.

So by your reckoning, are we to then give up the single most enduring symbol of Christendom, simply because it is an image that has been interpreted "across a variety of religions throughout the world?"

TheWorm

20. O.F.F.

O.F.F. New Member

Worm,

Given your argument, is that why the Grand Lodge of Kentucky can say the following:

As for abandoning the Cross:
    No Worm, there is only ONE Cross that matters; that is the Cross of Jesus Christ. All others are meaningless counterfeits. Like Freemasonry, they are just an illusion, not the real thing. I never implied abandoning the Cross of Christ.

Instead, I am suggesting that Christians abandon the world's largest cult--Freemasonry. Also, we should not listen to those who would try to defend it. If we do, we need to proceed with caution and be armed with the truth of God's Word.

Mike