1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freewill baptists vs SBC

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the denomination selector in the other thread here I was surprised to see that Freewill Baptist rated high for me, over the Southern Baptist Convention. I have found the website for the Freewill Baptist Church yet am having some difficulties discerning what makes the two groups different from each other doctrinally.

Can anyone fill me in on how these two groups are different?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few things:

Articles of Faith, National Association of Free Will Baptists:

Very Arminian in outlook.

The SBC's Baptist Faith & Message adopts a modified Calvinistic outlook:

(I don't mean to imply that there is a uniform view of soteriology among Southern Baptists; you'll find more or less Arminians, as well strict TULIPers. The BF&M is not binding on local churches, but it's a starting point that at least explains the history of differences.)

In addition, the Free Will Baptists accept three ordinances — baptism, the Lord's Supper and footwashing. Southern Baptists accept only two.

In organization, I think the Free Will Baptists are very like the SBC, with its own foreign missions and home missions agencies, the equivalent of the WMU, a publishing house, and colleges. And an insurance and retirement board.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Footwashing was one ordinance that I was not aware of there.

I think that relating Armainainism to the Freewill Baptists is correct. Yet the Calvanist Label is a little difficult to apply to the SBC, yet in a lesser way I can see how that would work.

Thankyou for your efforts, it is much appreciated.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Ben W, calvanism seems to be the "accusation du jour" for the SBC lately - at least among the so-called learned. After awhile, it will blow over and Christians (particularly Baptists) will find something else to be upset at the SBC about.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly didn't mean it to be an accusation. A modified Calvinist soteriology was the historical foundation of the SBC, as reflected in the 1833 New Hampshire Confession that serves as the model for the BF&M.

Compare either with the 1742 Philadelphia Confession or the 1689 London Confession upon which it is based to see the modifications.

I suppose I could have called it the Doctrines of Grace, but I thought Calvinist was accepted shorthand ...