1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Freewill towards salvation is not Scriptural.

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Benoni, Jul 2, 2010.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

you realize that words have multiple meanings. Draw in this passage does not mean "violence and force" if read in context. Just because it means that in another passage doesn't mean that it means that in this passage.

2. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

I understand that but what this does mean is man does not have a freewill or choice when it comes to his salvation. I also used the word quicken in Eph. 2:1.

3. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

This is my personality on these debates. Am I attacking you personnaly?

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Where does it say man does NOT have a choice? I believe Ephesians 2 talks about man being dead in his sins. Other places as well teach that mans choice will never be for God. God draws the person to himself, the person comes. Not because he was smart enough to do so, but because he has been made alive ad Ephesians 2 speaks about. Both election and whosoever will are in the Bible. Both God's sovereignty and man's responsibility are in the Bible. The problem is that some ignore sovereignty and promote only responsibility while others promote sovereignty and ignore responsibility. Both are taught in the Bible. Man does chose to come to Christ, but only because of the working of God.

5. Bro K

Bro K New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bro K View Post
    II Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering t us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

It's his will that noone perish; therefore if one does perish, he does so by his own choosing.

jbh28 quote: "Any of whom? If God is not willing that any person on earth perish, then why does God send anybody to Hell? Can He not get what He wants? Is God in heaven hoping that people will believe him but knowing that he wont' be able to get everybody even though he wants to?"

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: GOODBYE :wavey:

6. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

I am a sovereignty of God believer, and not much on man's responsiblity for we are all sinners and it it is God who chooses for a purpose. The word "whosoever" in the Greek is from the Greek word "pas" which means all. Man cannot choose God, god chooses man. God is not calling the whole world now.

Strong's Whosoever 3956 pas (pas);including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole: KJV-- all (manner of, means), alway (-s), any (one), X daily, + ever, every (one, way), as many as, + no (-thing), X thoroughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever.

The word "whosoever" in John l5th and l6th verses should be rendered "all"; in the original it is the word usually rendered all throughout the New Testament; it occurs hundreds of times, and it is rendered
    "all" in over nine hundred instances, and whosoever in only about forty; the rendering all then is plainly the usual one.

The word rendered "believeth," in the original is a participle, "believing"; the clause should read, "that all, believing in him should not," etc. The words, "believing in him," are explanatory, telling us how "all" are to be saved, viz, by believing in him. In the common version it will be noticed that the participle is, without authority, rendered by the verb "believeth," and the words, "whosoever believeth in him" are thereby made to have a conditional force, as though it read, if they believe in him, implying that some will not believe in him, and hence will perish, and be lost eternally.

7. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

If this is true then show me where man has a choice; carnal man is "dead in trutpasses and sin" and cannot choose. All he can do is reject.

If God is God is willing; then how yes God is willing. But it is His timing not ours.

8. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

man does have a choose. After hhe is drawn or quickened.

9. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And so what point would you be making?

The Archangel

10. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the English Standard Version. It, like all translations, is not perfect and even in John 3:16 there are some translations issues.

I'm intrigued by your mention of "perish" being the key. I'm also intrigued by your other statement that none of God's children will perish. This leads me to ask: "who are God's children?" Is it every person? Is it those that believe in Christ?

Blessings,

The Archangel

11. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

Not all God's Children are God's elect.

#51 Benoni, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    all of God's elect are God's children.
    not all of God's children are disciples.

13. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

This is true. But this was not my point.

There is the elect and there is great multitude, which no man could number, all our God’s people. Some before the throne, others on the throne.

There are two types of people in the Book of Revelation; the Elect/Overcomer and everyone else.

All are heir to salvation does not make you the elect.

Notice there is a distinction between the great multitudes BEFORE the throne

(Rev. 7:9) in comparison to the overcomer who Christ will grant to sit with me on my throne (Rev. 3:21) .

Rev. 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

Rev. 3: 21To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

14. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It may be hard right now for you to see it, but you came with your sword drawn, seeking to pick a fight with your brethren! I have done this too, and I am trying to help you see this.

Have you read the Pilgrim's Progress by Bunyan? It's a wonderful allegory if you haven't. Consider the part about Valiant for Truth. Pastor Bunyan conveyed some important truth there and wisdom.

To answer your question, no I am not offended that you claim to neither hold to Calvinist or Arminian theology. To answer your second question Jesus commands us to believe in Him and to love our brethren.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

man has a choice before too, it is just no.

16. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

huh?:confused:

17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Was it not mans "freedom of will" which put everything in motion resulting and culminating in the life, ministry, death and resurrection of Christ?

18. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Excellent observation and post.

19. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

Who said I do not love my brethem; by allowing my brethen to believe a lie is love?

I thought this was a forum? A place of debate, seeking truth and searching the depths of God's deep and aweome Word?

God's Word is a progressive Word and not based on any man's traditions, creeds or systems.

Truth is harsh and demans overwhelming thought. Of course most drink only the milk of the Word not the meat. Anyone including spiritual babes can drink milk;ilk just slides down our spiritual throat with ease. But meat takes maturity for to spiritual meat you need spiritual teeth to chew on it.

I do not agree with most here so they are offended. I present God's Word in an open debate using scriptures. I do not need to spin these verses around what I believe I base then on what God's Word declares.

20. Benoni

Benoni Member
    Site Supporter

This is a big statement but what are you saYING? It was God's will that man fell. It was God's will long before there was a sinner their was a savior for the lamb wa slain from the foundation of the earth. Death happened because God willed it, not little Adam