1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Friendliness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Whether you like it or not you have no idea what you are talking about. When you pastor a difficult church and walk in a pastors shoes who is serving God faithfully in difficult circumstances, then you can speak to the issue. As of right now you are talking beyond your experience and knowledge.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I know is the end result is .....I dont want to go to that church.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Another post that belittles someone else. If you talk to your church congregation the way you talk to others on this board, it is amazing the membership did not show you the front door years ago. I really doubt you talk this way to them, as they have the power to invite you to lead another church.

Also, Mont is exactly right about leadership. Christ leads through the pastor, and His leadership does not fail. A church that is unfriendly to outsiders and friendly only to itself has become a social club. The second commandent is to treat others like you want to be treated. We are also commanded to edify, disciple, and build up the local church. If you cannot make progress in getting your congregation to be more like Jesus, then maybe you should be selling used cars.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I totally agree with your post. I would not worry about the names you are called by the other poster, as it is the same pattern in other sections, ie, degrading others and giving no sign of having basic knowledge of the subject at hand.

Leading a congregation is a job with a tremendous repsonsibiltiy, making a local church more like Christ. It takes a special person, and the person is expected to be an example beyond the average layman. One has to have many skills, including leadership, integrity,compassion, patience and many others too numerous to mention.

Often I wonder who on here claiming to be a Pastor really is one.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that, its just that we focus more on how and why we are to live for god, thru knowing and applying the scriptures in the power of the Holy Spirit....

They are still seen as THE MORAL code of the lord, just emphasise placed more upon keeping them as God intended today under the New Covenant!

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Thank you.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here though, ... Oh let me give you an example. Trying to get to the heart of the matter, I told the pastor I was not comfortable with the NCT doctrine but of course I dont have schooling on it either. Its like getting Mitt Romney to reveal the finer points of his business plan--up until last night pretty much cloaked in darkness. Same here. Apparently, you have to join the church, get re-baptised then get indoctrinated in it (18 week course/ put on by the pastor).

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking up your link to NCT...

Appears that my church might be teaching pretty close to their viewpoint as regarding the law and Christians!

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So ask your pastor directly.....I thought you were Dispy?

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), and, in this particular case, I hope that I am, but over the 40+ yrs since I received Jesus Christ as my personal Savior, I've observed the semantical (I don't really want to call it a "trick," but then I can't seem to come to any other conclusion than to say that, most likely it IS a semantical "trick") ("whatever") when people start employing heavily-semantical-laden expressions such as, "stressing the FULL 10 Commandments, etc."

I'm by no means a "Biblical scholar," contrary to what a few here in BB land seem to think. OTOH, IMHO when I read expressions such as the above, it gives me the impression that such persons are hinting are somehow inferring and/or implying the thinly-veiled practice of "sabbath (Saturday) keeping."

As far as I can tell (and, again, I repeat, that "I'm no 'Biblical scholar'!"), Jesus Christ NEVER commanded "Sabbath (i.e., Saturday) keeping." IF I'm proven to be wrong on this, I'll "man up to it," but so far, in what studies of the NT I've had on the this subject, I've not yet been able to find a command given by Christ that "sabbath-keeping" is something "Command" for NT-era believers.

Again, maybe I'm IN ERROR about this "sabbath keeping."

If so, I'd sure like to know about it so that I can ask forgiveness of those that I've "ignorantly" accused of being pharaisetical over such a topic.

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: That's why friendliness is important.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm not a pastor either--far from it. I was just reborn less than 3 years ago. I wanted to know much more there apparently a criterion I must follow 1st to get the secret hand shake & knowledge. But I think your saying is basically, you agree that Law of Christ replaces the Law of God, as though God's law was in some sense inadequate and the Lord Jesus had to improve it. I don't think so anyway. But what I have come to understand that it finally boils down to is that NCT churches only keep nine commandments (Remember the Sabbath Day & Keep it Holy) is thus eliminated. So what I believe your saying is that your fine with that.....is that correct?

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You're very kind. This came home to me one Sunday when our pastor was sick. Since I chair our deacons, I got the call from Mrs. Pastor.

I quickly updated a message from my files and preached it again. (Only one or two people remembered it, and they understood). I announced that in the evening service, we were going to have a family meetings. The church family was going to share with each other as the Lord led.

The questions I laid before the congregation that evening were two: What could we be doing better, and what are we doing right?

Three of the newest couples all said something similar. They said, basically, they they saw love in our church, and that they were drawn to join us because of that, plus, of course, our pastor and teachers were Biblically sound.

So, I asked, what drew you was not so much how we treated you, but how we treated each other? Yes, that's it, replied all three couples.

I've never forgotten that, and their answers sensitized me to look for that in any church I visit.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Our church had a revival this week, preached by a former associate Pastor from the mid 70s, Larry Mulberry. His messages went straight to the heart. One message, from James, talked about the relationship between faith and works, and how getting these two out of order or in the wrong catagory can mean ones eternal destiny. All of his messages were very memorable. He has his own style for sure. He is very vocal, at times quite loud for emphasis, and is not bashful about praising the Lord or singing at the top of his lungs.

Anyway, the reason I tell this story is that when I was dating my wife, I was still going to a Presbyterian Church, very proper, very quiet, and no amens or praise the Lords. Anyway, shortly after dating her I attended her church one Sunday. Larry Mulberry happened to be preaching that Sunday, and you have never seen culture shock like I felt. Everytime he shouted from the pulpit, said "Glory!!" or said amen, I jumped out of the pew. On top of that, half the congregation was saying amen and praise the Lord. I told my future wife after the service that Baptists were a bunch of nuts, and I would never be back.

Well, it did not work out that way. I did go back, no doubt the work of the Lord, and each time, the differences between Baptist services and Presbyterian services bothered me less and less. What impressed me, once I got past all the shouts, is the friendliness of the congregation compared to the ice box I attended. After we were married, I started studying Baptist and Presbyterian differences, and two years later, joined the church. The close knit congregation is still a very loving church both to each others and outsiders to this day. Sure, we have had our problems as any church does, but friendliness was a big factor in drawing me to that church. Brother Tom can testify that this is a true story and a true reflection of the church we serve in.

#34 saturneptune, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, but your not ignoring the fact that the church should be hospitable & friendly to visitors. Now I dont think your saying that--rather your point to another important element in the makeup of the church ie how they treat one another.....however 1st things 1st....

King James Bible
    Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool story...thanks for sharing.

You also made me laugh, my brides background & upbringing was Dutch Reformed & then we married & attended/joined a presbyterian church where my son was raised up. When I tell her that I now go to various Baptist Churches she gets a real funny look on her face & puts her arms in the air & yells out "Glory Glory Brother Steve, Glory Glory" .... Did I mention we are from New Jersey. There is no such animal as "Southern" Baptists here. :laugh: Wonder why!

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think I know where RevMitchell is coming from. For a pastor to come into some churches that are full of old curmudgeons, there is sometimes really nothing you can do to change that. You do your best to teach the congregation, to encourage them, to bring joy to the place but if they are just not willing to do that, it makes it really hard on the pastor. In this case, I don't think it's a leadership issue. However, if the church has learned unfriendliness from the pastor then yes, I would agree with you.

Unless you've gone into take over a well established older church, you might not understand the struggles. These might be the churches that have pastors only last a year or two, three at best.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Oh I have been in those churches. I know the problem well. It is, indeed, a leadership issue. The pastor pours about all he has into them and still the grumps rule the roost. The problem is the pastor so often fails to risk being tossed out so he refuses to enact church discipline. Deacons and others go about as bullies yelling at people, cussing them out, and old ladies will stand there and berate visitors for "sitting in my seat". The people refuse to submit to the God-ordained leadership and that leadership refuses to risk really offending the people by holding them truly accountable. These pastors seek a spirit of unity, but only for those who hold the purse strings. These pastors will be held accountable for their failure to lead and the people will be held accountable for their failure to submit.

Eze 34:1 Then the word of the LORD came to me saying,
    Eze 34:2 "Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to those shepherds, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock?
    Eze 34:3 "You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat sheep without feeding the flock.
    Eze 34:4 "Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not healed, the broken you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost; but with force and with severity you have dominated them.
    Eze 34:5 "They were scattered for lack of a shepherd, and they became food for every beast of the field and were scattered.
    Eze 34:6 "My flock wandered through all the mountains and on every high hill; My flock was scattered over all the surface of the earth, and there was no one to search or seek for them."'"
    Eze 34:7 Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD:
    Eze 34:8 "As I live," declares the Lord GOD, "surely because My flock has become a prey, My flock has even become food for all the beasts of the field for lack of a shepherd, and My shepherds did not search for My flock, but rather the shepherds fed themselves and did not feed My flock;
    Eze 34:9 therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD:
    Eze 34:10 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I am against the shepherds, and I will demand My sheep from them and make them cease from feeding sheep. So the shepherds will not feed themselves anymore, but I will deliver My flock from their mouth, so that they will not be food for them."'" (NASB)

19. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

We need to remember that allowing unruly congregation members, or a clique if you will, control the church and set the tone of the membership instead of godly elders is still a leadership issue.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are painting with quite a wide brushstroke. Sometimes it's not anything that can be disciplined. You just have a cranky bunch of people and there is no amount of anything that a pastor can do but to walk away. That is why pastors will leave after a year or two from these churches.