1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From a FORMER KJVO....

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by robycop3, Jun 2, 2004.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rick Norris was kind enough to post the below-listed URL in a Yahoo board moderated by me. I thought it worthwhile to post it here, as this gent's experience is similar to mine, except that I was never a KJVO. However, I DID "walk the walk" and do the research, not necessarily with the intent to disprove KJVO, but to see if indeed it were true or not. From this research, I've concluded that KJVO is merely a man-made myth with absolutely NO TRUTH in it, nor any evidence to support it. Please read the site and comment.(and feel free to comment about what I've said about KJVO's being a myth, but you'd better be ready to back it up with evidence and not more rhetoric.)

http://www.fredsbibletalk.com/fb019.html

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Great link robycop3 the Pastor of my parents church love's to try to convert people to KJVO he takes these people that have never studied the issue and just rakes the MV's using Isaiah 14:12 and many others. but doesnt mention the fact that the KJV AV "alternate translation" possibilitys also says it could be O Day Star. KJVO is definetly a myth.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope this article helps more new Christians to avoid the KJVO trap and stimulates some diehard KJVOs to actually examine the FACTS about this doctrine they embrace & see it's phony as a $3 bill. perhaps they'll look more closely at it than they would by hearing the doctrine's falsehoods only from a plebeian like me.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Fred Butler (see Roby’s link) has his history of the interpretation of the Bible backwards when it comes to Augustine. Fred wrote,

Augustine, in his very old age, entered into a period of doubt and confusion, and denied many of the Biblical truths that he had taught over a period of many years. These denials are found in The Retractions by Augustine. The church immediately recognized the failings of Augustine, and his Retractions were largely ignored. And they have continued to be largely ignored to this day. Although Augustine’s earlier writings are very frequently quoted and can be found even in very small libraries, his Retractions are almost never quoted and can not be found even in some very large libraries.

Augustine’s Retractions set down a precedent that NO Christians should follow. It is true that all Christians should be prepared to recognize, acknowledge, and recant of any teaching that is not sustained by the Holy Bible, but Augustine did precisely the opposite—he recanted the truth and taught false doctrines that were totally foreign to the teaching of the Bible and the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you document this from his Retractions if not, how can you say for sure that they were "totally foreign to the teaching of the Bible and the Ante-Nicene Church Fathers"? Do you have a credible second source?

I am not a big fan of "Saint" Augustine and would like some verification as part of my own documentation.

You are correct concerning availibility, even the Catholic Encyclopedia Online does not go into detail and a Google finds nothing on-line except generalities about the Retractions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HankD

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems as if Augustine followed in Solomon's footsteps.

I believe Butler was trying to emphasize the fact that HE had been wrong all that time.

7. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

8. mioque

mioque New Member

Augustine the most likely candidate for the title of: "father of infant baptism".
    But one has to factor in that a huge amount of theology that is considered specifically Lutheran, Calvinist, Roman Catholic, or simply Christian can be traced back to him.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Skan!

HankD

10. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Fathers of the Church: Saint Augustine: The Retractions
    by St. Augustine, Mary I. Bogan (Translator), St Augustine, Saint Augustine

Availability: THIS TITLE IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

11. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Kill the suspense for me here boys, what were some of the doctrines he denied in Retractions?

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read some of that book years ago, Pete, and while I don't remember enuff of it to quote it, nor all the "retractions", I mainly remember that AUGUSTINE RENOUNCED HIS BELIEF IN THE CANONICITY OF THE APOCRYPHA.

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Hmmmph. I respectfully insist on retaining the right to correct my errors in thinking at all stages of my life.

Anybody got a problem with that?