1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From .avi to .rm

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Ingo Breuer, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I took some short movies with a digital camera and it records only in the .avi-file format.
    I can not e-mail these files nor can I publish them on my website. I need to convert them into .rm (RealMedia), so people can watch the movies with a RealPlayer.
    Does anybody know how to convert these videos from .avi to .rm? I tried it with RealProducer but it didn't work because some codec (???) was not installed.
    Please let me know if you can help me out.
    Thank you.

[​IMG]

[ August 19, 2002, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Ingo Breuer ]

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

You should be able to determine what codec it needs, then download it from the net. This is probably the best bet of fixing your problem. Do you know which specific one it was looking for?

Another option might be to buy a video editing package. There are several good ones out, but you should make sure they support saving as .rm

Still another option is to convert to a different file format (like .mpg, .mov, etc.)

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm surprised that Windows Media Player isn't playing these. Further, I thought there was a setting in RealPlayer that allowed it to play .avi files....

Yep, as I thought. Open your RealPlayer, click on Tools, then on Preferences.

Click on Media Types, and scroll down until you find AVI. Your box is probably unchecked; check it, and RealPlayer should start playing .avi files.

If that doesn't help, go through the steps, and let us know which ones didn't work.

4. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I followed your advice and it now works to convert the formats. I changed the settings in the RealPlayer and I'm no longer getting a warning about missing codecs.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

God bless you!!!

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad we could be of help!