1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From Lutheran to Baptist

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

A little bit about my journey from the Lutheran church (ELCA) to the Baptist Church (GARBC)...

(you can read more about this journey at my website)

I had been an avid Lutheran from about my sophmore year in high school until I was a senior when I began to question the validity of Lutheran doctrine and started asking questions that were made more then a few people uncomfortable. For a couple of years I drilled some of the most respected Lutheran pastors and theologians for answers concerning many of my questions (infant baptism, true presence in communion) to no avial- I was throughly confused. Naturally I was totally oblivious to the fact that God was slowly molding me into the person He needed me to be so He could use me as He needed to.

I eventually began realizing that the Lutheran doctrine just does not line up with what I was reading in the Bible. Now I'll grant you that they [lutherans] can make a darn good case for their doctrine twisting certian passages around, but so can gnostics.

I have been attending North Park Baptist for 7 months and will be (re)baptized in September (if all goes well).

Now I don't agree with every little thing that Baptists advocate, yet your I agree with your main doctrine and at least it doesn't contradict itself (try understanding this (i have): Lutherans say that we are saved by faith alone in Christ and then turn around and say we are saved in our (my) infant baptism (is it any wonder that i was slightly confused ;) )).

Until Next Post, Adam

2. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Thanks Adam! I look forward to hearing more! [​IMG]

3. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

Welcome Adam, and thanks for sharing that testimony with us. You have a neat website, even though the new one is under construction. We are looking forward to see it completed in the near future. God be with you in your spiritual growth! [​IMG]

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timotheus:
    Welcome Adam, and thanks for sharing that testimony with us. You have a neat website, even though the new one is under construction. We are looking forward to see it completed in the near future. God be with you in your spiritual growth! [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new (and much improved ;) ) website should be up within a month. Thanks for all the encouragement! Its a welcome relief after being chewed out several times from the old Lutheran board i tried to stay in contact with. I'm a huge advocate of different denominations working together despite our differences to further the gospel message so i tried my best to stay in touch as best as i could...

Until next post, Adam

5. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Adam, welcome to the BB, and welcome to the Baptist faith! Bear in mind that there are non-Baptist on some of these threads who may seek to challenge you. Be prepared, and forewarned! ;) (Sir Ed for one).

6. BWSmith

BWSmith New Member

Hi flyfree,

Keep in mind that because Baptists are congregational and not hierarchical, there is a wide spectrum of opinion on all things theological. The label "Baptist" is more useful in comparison with non-Baptist denominations than it is for describing a particular theological viewpoint.

The Southern Baptist denomination alone (the largest Protestant denomination in the US) is very diverse, containing theological fundamentalists, conservatives, moderates, and liberals. On top of that, some congregations are Reformed and some are Arminian. In short, while we don't all agree on what is right, we all do agree that everybody else is wrong....
    ;)

In Christ,
    BWSmith
    Moderate Southern Baptist

7. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

Flyfree, excellent website! I think you deal with one of the misunderstandings that I have found on this website in a fairly thoughtful manner; that is the difference between grace and faith and how that applies to Baptism.

As for <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> (try understanding this (i have): Lutherans say that we are saved by faith alone in Christ and then turn around and say we are saved in our (my) infant baptism (is it any wonder that i was slightly confused )). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is an incorrect understanding of Baptism my friend. I would be interested in knowing who these "respected Lutheran pastors and theologians" are that you claim to have talked to.

If you have not already, perhaps you should go back and read the Augsburg Confession as a start in truly understanding.

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sir Ed ]

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

BWSmith,

Finally I can agree with something you've said! :D

9. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

I think you misunderstood. I do understand what the meaning of baptism is, so far as what the Lord has revealed.

I believe much goodness can be found by not limiting ourselves to only learning from others in the "Baptist" circle. Though we may not agree with those in Lutheran and Catholic circles we can learn a lot from them. If i was to sum up the Lutheran church in one word I would have to use "merciful".

One of the things that has scared me in the past about the Baptist faith is how I often here "oh they hold this doctrine- they can't be Christians". More then once refering to the Lutheran churches doctrine of baptism.

It reminds me of Mark Lowry's song were the lyrics go "Doesn't matter if your _______ if your heart belongs to Jesus you belong over here with me".

I also like the saying "Christ is Life: The rest are details". How true!

Until Next Post, Adam

10. MikeJ

MikeJ New Member

One of the things that I find most fascinating about Martin Luther is not the sharpness of his theological pronouncements but their plainness. He was not always absolutely correct, and he was primarily just stubborn. He was unwilling to go along with the lie. He gave voice to his faith, and then feet. We could all learn from that.

On another board, I was debating sola scriptura with participants of varying and unknown religious backgrounds. One individual criticized me for my stated reliance on scripture. He said that in his church he also had church history, tradition and teachings to fall back on. When I inquired as to his denominational affiliation, he stated "Lutheran".

I wonder what the reformer will have to say to him about that, if they get to talk it over later?

11. Sir Ed

Sir Ed New Member

MikeJ, I would love to discuss this in more depth with you, but we would have to do it in the other denominations forum on this board. Non-Baptists aren't allowed to post on this forum.

12. MikeJ

MikeJ New Member

Sir Ed,

I am a great admirer of Martin Luther. I hope that came through the post. I would dearly like to put together a series of "one-man" dramatic presentations about some of our more influencial theologians and preachers, and I think that folks would find a "Night with Luther" interesting and fun, especially in costume and with an appropriate dialect. I would have be careful about his sermons though. I would like to be invited back.

I did find it somewhat ironic that a Lutheran would talk about his reliance on tradition.