1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured From the foundation of the world

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Van, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

1) Anyone who holds to the TULIP is a Calvinist in that regard, therefore you represent the Calvinistic view, whether you call yourself one or not.

2) Next you make a false charge, that I ignored one of your questions. See post 41 in the General Reconciliation thread. I provided the reason why I accept the grammar of the NASB.

3) Next, you claim I missed a point, attacking me, rather than the issue of difference. However, using Luke 11:50-51 I showed that the phrase, from the foundation of the world, includes the period of time after creation, thus names were written after creation, rather than before creation or during creation.

4) Yes, the names of the lost were never written into the Lamb's book of life. That is not in dispute, and for you to imply that differs from my view is simply a red herring, as is the issue of using the KJV. The KJV reads from and not before at Revelation 17:8, and so their 13:8 translation is mistaken. Both verses, when translated correctly indicate names were not written (and therefore other names were written) from or since or after the foundation of the world.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Sapper Woody, thanks for your on topic posts. Several verses use the phrase "before the foundation of the world" and refer to the period before creation. The Word, the second person of the Trinity, was known as the Lamb of God before the foundation of the World, 1 Peter 1:19-20.

When God the Father chose the Word to be His Redeemer, His Christ, His Lamb of God, before creation, He corporately chose those Christ would redeem, thus He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. See my recent thread on Corporate Election in this forum for a fuller treatment of the meaning of Ephesians 1:4.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How something is said is also what is said. You're making distinctions where none exist.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good post....good questions.....I.will suggest some more questions for now until I can respond in more detail later.Does God the Father give anyone to the Son?
    Does the Son declare anything about those given?
    Have you studied the biblical use of the word.....foreknow as it is used in terms of persons not events?
    Notice Christians are said to be part of a holy calling....why is that so?

I willrespond in detail and as .much as is necessary as you have sincere questions and not just looking to attack as some do.Truth delights to be investigated.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And now my point is proved.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. We are not Calvinists. you know nothing about Primitive Baptists.

all right. I missed that post. I take back what I said.

since when does stating what to one seems obvious become a personal attack ? well, to you, maybe. that one I will not retract.

even when not consulting a greek dictionary, and simply looking at creating a building, when you lay a foundation is when you lay a foundation, and not any other time AFTER the act. Everything involved in laying the foundation, from measuring its depth and length and breadth to the erection and laying of the reinforcement bars, to the pouring of concrete is all ONE act of laying a foundation. There is no other act after this that can be called a laying of foundation.
    This is one act of casting down, of putting on the ground, of laying the foundation. There is no continous founding of the world, which is what I gather you are implying.

says who ? you ?

okay. I'll pass on this one.

Huh ?
    And I suppose you are the one who will translate this correctly ?

give us a demonstration, then. translate it correctly.

but let me say this.
    the author of the book of life is the ETERNAL GOD.
    now, I don't know, maybe you have some dictionary that says otherwise.
    if you and I both believe that there is an actual physical book in heaven, we might as well go have our heads examined.
    More learned commentators have said the BOOK is the mind of God.
    If you say that names are continually being written in the book (mind) by God, then are you saying God has standards by which he decides whether a man/woman's name
    is to be written down ? or that He has not made up His mind ? or that certain events influence His decisions ?

#26 pinoybaptist, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously RM, how do you see this as a slant? I see it as a very direct question that you either answer as a "yes, thats how I see it as well" or you beg to differ & post your interpretation.

So here is the question again...... can you answer it in the same direct way it was posted? Thank you.

"How else can you read these verses that makes any sense? They are quite clear and straightforward'"

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he wants me to give an explanation of those verses then he can give one himself. Another thing cals do post scripture, give no explanation on how they see it and demand others do the opposite of what they do. It is a debate game and tactic and is shameful. Be straightfoorward and upfront. Makes sure people understand you and drop all this elitist mind games.

And by the way the only reason you jumped in here is because Icon is a cal. Period. More elitist games.

It is just plain arrogant when you believe it is below you to have to explain how you understand a passage.

#28 Revmitchell, Dec 15, 2013
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are off the rails........ you either debate someone or shutup. This Elitist Games nonscience card that your playing shows you have deep seated resentments & your bound and determined to vent them......that is very disappointing coming from someone claiming Christ as their Lord. You want to be fair, then start with your own actions. Right now, you have just tarnished your rep & I dont even think you are aware of it. From now on I will disregard any of your phony baloney Dudley Do-right activities ..... they are NOT genuine.

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Exactly!

I see the attack anti-cal is still sowing discord, name calling and broad brushing. This is nearly daily for him to ad nauseum. Time for him to hit the ignore list. :thumbs:

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dispite all the efforts to derail the thread, using petty personal attacks, nothing has been offered to differ with "from the foundation of the world" refers to the interval "after" or "since" the foundation of the world as shown in Luke 11:50-51.

God uses the illustration "Lamb's book of life" and refers to having our names written in it (Luke 10:20; Philippians 4:3; Hebrews 12:22-23.)

And now, for anyone looking at this objectively, when are our names written? After or since creation, and not before creation.

Thus Calvinism denies the very words of Christ and redefines from the foundation of the world to mean before the foundation of the world. It is a doctrine of disgrace.

#31 Van, Dec 15, 2013
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As Pinoy said earlier, and with no slant or insult to you or anyone practicing Calvinism, I do not consider myself a Calvinist, nor do I consider myself reformed. Nor am I attempting to deceive anyone because I do believe in DoG / sovereign Grace soteriology.

That being said, there is a discernible negative tenor against those who support Calvinism to a degree that I am not sure some people harboring them are consciously aware of....and this shows itself sometimes in backhanded remarks. Yes I know that there are a number of contentious remarks from both camps bounced around here (and I am guilty of them as well) but there is a difference from being snippy & really being down right insulting...... for example this comment is specifically meant to be nasty; Calvinism is a doctrine of disgrace". Anyway you cut it, those are fighting words (and they are nasty & unnecessary). I dont know how anybody, Calvinist & Non-Calvinist can even talk to the guy after that.

13. preacher4truth

Yes, we get labelled Calvinist, but ftr I consider myself 'reformed' or holding to DoG, but the label is what it is.

Brother, what we see above in the ad nauseum attack anti-cal is nothing short of stalking, causing division and sowing discord. Nothing really is used as proof or as timely evidence, instead it's plainly and simply broad-brushed stalking from thread to thread from the same culprit.

14. preacher4truth

Your theory and straw man example was thoroughly rebutted in post #13 to which you have no answer, not to mention your OP was a classic personal attack, and some have called you on this.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the tactic of claiming something of merit was presented in the past. Nothing was offered in post #13, simply a denial of the obvious.

1) Pro means before, Apo means out of, from, after, and since. This is obvious, yet Calvinism tries to say from the foundation of the world refers to before creation. Twaddle.

2) Calvinism has no answer, so they spew false charges and false claims like a fire hose.

3) Our names are written in the Lamb's book of life after creation, during our lifetime. We did not obtain mercy before we lived without mercy, i.e. before we were chosen to be God's people, 1 Peter 2:9-10.

4) The question for all seekers of truth, why were our names entered in the Lamb's book of life after creation, if we had, as Calvinism wrongly asserts, were chosen individually before creation?

5) The only view that is consistent with all scripture is that we were chosen corporately before the foundation of the world and chosen individually after the foundation of the world. Pretty simple, really.

#35 Van, Dec 15, 2013
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell

The only thing you prove is you are unable and unwilling to respond and actually offer a proof.:(:(:confused:

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the foundation of the world refers to the period after creation extending to the end of time. Luke 11:50-51 demonstrates this view was taught by Jesus.

The Word, the third person of the Trinity, was chosen to be the Lamb of God before the foundation of the world, and therefore those who the Redeemer would redeem were chosen corporately, thus He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, Ephesians 1:4.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sapper Woody

Hello SW.This sounds good.We should have this attitude concerning any doctrine:wavey: let's take a look

A cal pauses right here.....Do you mean Omniscience? Or Biblical Foreknowledge? As this has taken place before creation it does not

speak to the events per se, but rather the persons involved.

For WHOM he did foreknow.....is those sinners that God elected to salvation.

to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

This discussion starts with the knowledge that God knows the end from the beginning,and as such never needs to learn anything or make plans based on what man will or will not do.God does not "need" to look ahead and see what will happen, then adjust His plan because he already has purposed in Himself to accomplish redemption.
    18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

You will "see it" if you study the passages in ISA.40-54 concerning the person and work of The Servant of The Lord.

The Elect Servant comes to accomplish a covenant redemption for all that are in the covenant. The elect remnant of national Israel and then the elect gentiles are included.

I do not see where the Promise was to...THE WORLD??? Could you explain what you mean by that? Did you mis-read it? it says before the world was.

Because some oppose it...it does matter indeed.
    :thumbs:great, praise the Lord for His mercy.

Yes it does.God saves...He is not just a spectator.When you say "or just knew beforehand....it is not consistent with the biblical revelation.

The eternal destiny of all In Christ is certain.It matters in our gospel presentation however.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sapper Woody

The context of Jesus High Priestly prayer is Jesus IN UNION with His people.
    When He died...we died...as he lives we live.God loves sinners...IN CHRIST.

Good...I have no 'choice" as far as a stance as this truth is all through scripture when you see it.

SW...as time permits....list 4-5 of these obvious arguments and we can take a look.

My job so to speak is to give you much more to prayerfully consider:thumbs:

20. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

My apologies, I did misread the passage. I will be posting more after I do some studying, and am at my computer where I can see more posts as I respond. On my phone, I can only see my response, including any quotes I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.