1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

From the Red to the Rio Grande (Rivers)

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Oct 2, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know how many Free Will Baptists (I'm not) or Texans (I am) are on the Baptist Board, but perhaps there are some history buffs who might be interested. Here is a nice new history (April, 2017) I just purchased.
    From the Red to the Rio Grande: a History of the Free Will Baptist Work in Texas, 1876-2014 by Thurmon Murphy (Amazon has a "look inside" preview).

The only customer review currently at Amazon says:
    I dare say that this is the only detailed account of the founding of the Free Will Baptist movement in Texas.

#1 rlvaughn, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most, if not all, of the white Free Will Baptists in Texas are affiliated with the Texas State Association of Free Will Baptists and the National Association of Free Will Baptists. Most, if not all, of the black Free Will Baptists in Texas may be affiliated with one of the United American Freewill Baptist Associations (The church name doesn't appear in this body, which has a website). From the Red to the Rio Grande: a History of the Free Will Baptist Work in Texas was written by a retired pastor in the NAFWB, so it is primarily about the white Free Will Baptists in Texas.

The oldest existing Free Will Baptist church in the state is St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church in Lancaster, Texas, organized in 1870. It is a predominantly black congregation.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist