1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frontier Blood

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by rlvaughn, Jun 26, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frontier Blood: the Saga of the Parker Family. Jo Ella Powell Exley. College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 2001. $29.95, hard cover with dust jacket, 331 pages. ISBN 1-58544-136-8.

This book on the Parker family was written by Jo Ella Powell Exley, who is also the author of Texas Tears and Texas Sunshine: Voices of Frontier Women.

I was impressed by the book. As the cover states, it sets the well-known stories of Cynthia Ann and Quanah Parker "in the context of the stubborn, strong, contentious Parker clan..." Early in the book I would have liked to have seen more information on Elder John Parker, father of Daniel, James, Silas, Benjamin, et al. But probably such records are sparse anyway. In the end I would have liked to have seen some information on the descendants of Daniel, James, Rachel, Cynthia Ann, and Quanah -- the five principle characters of the story. But this mainly is a story of Cynthia Ann and Quanah, whose stories cover roughly half the book. So Exley reaches her objective -- to tell their stories in context of the broader Parker family.

Exley is better with western history than Baptist history, as far as I can tell. She seems to confuse Separate Baptists with Free Will Baptists. She also gives the impression that Daniel Parker grew up in a preacher's home. More likely is that Daniel was probably a preacher as early as his father was, and possibly even ordained before his father. Expressions Exley either coined or borrowed concerning Daniel -- the "practical mystic" and the "anti-missionary missionary" -- are both very appropriate when understood properly.

This book was winner of the 2002 Western Books Exhibition Award of Merit and the 2001 Summerfield G. Roberts Award. According to Publishers Weekly, "Vivid, unsparing accounts, much insight into the pioneer experience and the details of early interracial relations will make this book popular among devotees of the history of the American West."

I recommend the book -- great for the students of Texas and southwestern history; good for those interested in the Parker family and Baptists in East Texas. Better for that second purpose is Frontier Religion. These two will make a good companion set.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just finished reading Empire Of The Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne and the story of the abduction of Cynthia Ann who gave birth to Quanah who ruled the Comanches... The Parker clan was highlighted in the book but it was more about the Mother and her Son and the bloodshed on both side in stealing the Indians land and lifestyle... Not recommended unless you have a strong stomach... Haven't read the other two and probably don't need too... Brother Glen:)

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frontier Religion focuses on the preacher, Daniel Parker, so you might find it more interesting.