1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Frontline Magazine

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 10, 2003.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this FBFI publication? Is it a benefit to fundamentalism. Are you familiar with it?

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt"

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I used to subscribe to it and really enjoyed it. They are definitely fundamentalists.

3. aefting

aefting New Member

I get Frontline mainly to read the feature article in the pastor's section by Dr. Mark Minnick. Normally, there will be other helpful articles but, for the most part, nothing all that remarkable. Personally, I would like to see more in-depth writing and more provocative articles. I think they are afraid to deal with certain topics, such as KJV-onlism, that may divide their constituency.

Andy

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trying to find my article on why I quit getting that magazine. The FBF was "taken over" by the BoJo crowd (which really is odd when you think about it since they are all inter-denominational-centric) and Rod Bell in Virginia, none of which are "my" type of historic ifb'er.

Oh well, I'll find it. It was really really BAD theology about Christmas, I think by Archer or Arno Weniger. Back in 91 or so. Since then, I've seen a coupla copies around but never interested by reading to consider subscribing.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I canceled my subscription to this publication because the FBF's stand and Rod Bell's stand fell down due to their weakness on the separation.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Is this some kind of joke or are you really that mistaken?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bob's post is interesting ... in that BJU has turned out more Baptist preachers than any other independent Baptist institution over the last 75 years or so. I find the FBF as a whole to be pretty useless to me. I don't get Frontline because there is not much worth reading in it most of the time. Minnick's section is the middle is the best. A compilation of those articles would make an excellent book, IMO. I don't always agree but I always find them challenging and thought-provoking.

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Is this some kind of joke or are you really that mistaken?? [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]No joke or mistake! I learned something that they did inappropriately. I can't tell you.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Is this liker one of those "proofs" that you had in the BVT forum that never materialized?? I don't particularly care for the FBF but to call them weak on separation is laughable.

9. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Larry, it is probably the way they represented ole David Cloud.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I don't know what they said about him but if it was anything other than "This man is a divisive liar," it was a misrepresentation that should be publicly repented of.

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Is this liker one of those "proofs" that you had in the BVT forum that never materialized?? I don't particularly care for the FBF but to call them weak on separation is laughable. </font>[/QUOTE]You go ahead to [​IMG] at them....not me!

12. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

The magazine is good for what it is, a journal for general circulation of a fairly loose fellowship of Baptists. Is it the FBFI version of Bibliothequa Sacra (I'll let Dr. Bob correct my spelling on that one.)? No, but it does have useful articles for its pastoral readership. Frontline is meant to be read both by the pew and in the study. So, there is a fair amount of what some would call fluff in its pages. Nor is it the FBFI version of Sword of the Lord. As for its position on the textual situation, the FBFI has tried (at least out here in Northern California) not to make it a fellowship breaker. Hence, other than in passing, Frontline does not deal with the matter in depth.

As for the Bob Jones influence, let's get real here. BJU was founded years before we Historic Baptists of the North got our act together and started our own schools after Northwestern went down the tubes. Other than the GARBC schools, places like Pillsbury, SFCBTS, and Marantha drew their faculty from BJ. And (love 'em or hate 'em)BJU has been supplying the pulpits of Baptist Churchs for decades. So, is it any wonder that this school's influence is seen on the pages of Frontline. It has only been in the last decade or so that schools like MBBC, Pillsbury, Northland, IBC, Central, Calvary Baptist, Lansdale, et al have gotten enough men into the field to be a counter balance to BJ.

(Brother Fall asked me to edit this for a spelling error)

[ December 01, 2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

13. aefting

aefting New Member

Those sitting in the pew need something better than fluff. I remember when Frontline first came out that Rod Bell said that Frontline was suppose to hold the same position within Fundamentalism as Christianity Today does for New Evangelicalism. Well, CT doesn't publish fluff. I don't agree with its philosophy but it does deal with the issues of today and it doesn't shy away from controversial topics. The pew can handle in depth articles. Let's not treat them like a bunch of idiots.

Here is an issue that is tearing Fundamentalism apart and what do we get from Frontline? Zippo. Where are Fundamentalists suppose to go for help on this issue? Thankfully, some our schools are dealing with the issue but why not in our version of Christianity Today?

Andy

14. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

First, here are Frontline's digital homepage. and www.fbfi.org the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International's home page. Except for the current issue, Frontline has most of the back issues online. The holes are from the early days of the magazine. Now back to the issues at hand:

Please, note I said
    Some would look for an academic journal. If you are, Frontline ain't it. It does have articles of interest to all in its readership. Further, the magazine is not the size of Christanity Today. So, it does not yet have the space CT does to deal with various topics. (It sounds like some here are not willing to let Brother Bell speak wishfully about his vision for the future of the publication.)

As for the textual situation, yes, it is a situation that is tearing apart Fundamentalism. And yes, Frontline has commented on the situation. But, it does not want to contribute to the schism. Any further comment on its part would only further divide the brethren. (Consider this, Frontline represents an organization with a 60+ year history. So, it is not unreasonable for them to take the long view and wait the storm out. For the moment, they'll be hung if they do or hung if they don't take a given position on the situation.) They just firmly put the textual situation as it is currently being debated in Column Three as David Innes likes to put it.

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Table of Contents for the Sept/Oct 2003 issue of Frontline. The theme of this issue is "Church Life"</font>
    • Mail Bag Page 4</font>
    • On the Front Line, "Strengthen and Encourage the Pastor and People"; Rod Bell Page 5</font>
    • Is Your Church Traditional; David Doran Page 6</font>
    • Church Unity or Purity; Bud Talbot Page 8</font>
    • Consumers or Committed Consumers; Paul Downey Page 11</font>
    • How to Listen to Preaching; Scott Williqutte Page 13</font>
    • The Importance of Worship; Dennis L. Peterson Page 15</font>
    • How God Taught Me to Tithe; Frank Hall Page 18</font>
    • On the Home Front, FBF News and Events; Page 20</font>
    • Titus Two Women Unaware; Linda Turner Page 22</font>
    • Wit & Wisdom Page Page 25</font>
    • Ladies' Circle "I want More"; Linda More Page 26</font>
    • Preventing Abuse in the Church; Linda Hall Page 27</font>
    • The Evangelist's Corner "Using the Young Evangelist"; Jerry Sivnsky Page 28</font>
    • At a Glance "The Theology of Ecclesiastes; Layton Talbot Page 30</font>
    • Newsworthy (#) Page 33</font>
    • Global Focus "A Local Church Strategy for the Unreached"; [snipped at poster request] </font>
    • Behind the Lines "Keep Your Family in a Bible-Preaching Church" John C. Vaughn</font>
    Currently, each issue of Frontline contains articles on a certain theme. (#)Newsworthy is a compilation of various news articles of interest to readers of Frontline. In the center of the magazine and unlisted in the main table of contents is a section titled "Inspiration for the Pastor's Study; Sound Words, Hold fast the form of sound words---2 Timothy 1:13"</font>
    • First Partaker "Theology Matters"; Mark Minnick Page 1</font>
    • Bring...the Books "Charles Hodge: Theology for the Marketplace"; Sam Horn Page 5</font>
    • Straight Cuts "Seeking the Fruit: The Use and Misuse of Paul's List in Galatians 5"; Kevin Schall Page 6</font>
    • Windows "True Sacrifice"; Mike Stainaker Pge 7</font>

#15 Squire Robertsson, Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  16. superdave

superdave New Member

Bob Jones also supplies many more presbyterian, methodist, lutheran, and Non-denominational pastors than the other mentioned "fundamental" schools.

Quantity is not Quality.

That being said, my pastor and most of the staff are from BJ, nothing wrong with that, just don't want you to mistake better numbers for a better school.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

They are not turning many of any of these, and likely no methodists or lutherans. But that wasn't the point of my post ;)

I know your pastor and most of his staff. They are great people ...

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I don't know what they said about him but if it was anything other than "This man is a divisive liar," it was a misrepresentation that should be publicly repented of. </font>[/QUOTE]This is an ad hominem attack for which public repentance would be appropriate. This behavior is repugnant and speaks ill of the attacker. God has clearly admonished: “Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (Ephesians 4:29)”

I am embarrassed for you who calls himself Pastor—a man of God. Would not an unbeliever reading this thread find reason to blaspheme the name of Christ? Please withdraw your rash statement.

Pastor Larry, I tried to send this to you privately but your private messaging is blocked by the administrator. So, I posted publicly since you made the innuendo publicly. David Cloud is a dear brother who may be somewhat outspoken in his beliefs. I know his son, Jonathon, who is a fine young man. I don’t like to see my friends attacked.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

[David Cloud is a man with whom I have had correspondence with as well as others that I know. I have on my computer from Cloud himself, documented lies, misrepresentations, and personal attacks. Cloud needs to be exposed for what he is. He is a man who says some good things. But he says some things that are outright false and a shame to the testimony of the God he claims to serve. I have said nothing personal at all. I have no personal axe to grind. EVerything I have said is documented and most of it is public information. I have documented much of it here on this board. As a pastor, I have the responsibility to defend the truth and expose those who either by word or conduct contradict it or compromise it. While I am not a pastor here, my responsibility as a believer has not changed. Many people accept what Cloud says without knowing the whole story. We have a great need for honesty in this matter.

You may know him. If you do, please take the opportunity in your contact with him to call him to biblical repentance and to cease his lying ways. There is no reason for this man to slander other godly fundamentalists by lying about them and their ministry. There is no reason for this man to continually spew hateful lies about those with whom he disagrees. I have written to him about this several different times, with clear concrete evidence of his lies. He answered with a two word answer, showing that he either was caught and refused to make it right, or that he was unwilling to be truthful. Either way, he has abandoned standards required for those who carry on the ministry of the gospel.

I sincerely hope that someone is able to show him the error of his ways. So far, he has resisted the wise and godly counsel of many men. If you have influence, please use it for the sake of the truth. Don't turn your hatred on those who have the audacity to obey the Scriptures by pointing out men who cause divisions contrary to the truth.

As for my PM being blocked, I have no idea. I have never blocked anyone and there is no one on my blocked list. (I just checked it).

20. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

Speaking of Rod Bell's Frontline and D. Cloud, Mr Cloud wrote a sad article and he made the implication that R. Bell had no backbone (my words), because he has changed his views about the KJV. (he's [RB] not as narrow as he used to be, from what I can tell). I like some of the things Mr Cloud writes, but I rec'd an article entitled, "Should Independent Baptist Unite?" and it grieved my spirit with the extreme elitism in this article. This gist of the article was that IFB's should not fellowship w/ IFB's for minor differences and disagreements. As the last days approach, we as IFB's oughtta to seek unity, not Mr Cloud's uniformity. :rolleyes: I think his site is wayoflife.com, or org...if you'd like to read these articles for yourself(ves).