1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fuller Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by cysperus, Feb 13, 2006.

1. cysperus

cysperus New Member

I'm interested in Fuller's MA Theology (Biblical Studies and Theology emphasis) program which I think will be a good alternative to MDiv. Maybe somebody here got a Fuller education or knows somebody who went there. How's the academic life in Fuller? Is it difficult to get a grant? I'm not familiar with the other seminaries and hopefully people here can suggest other institutions which are reasonably priced. I thought Fuller was more affordable but I realized that their number of units/course is higher compared to other seminaries.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I know six, countem, six, people who are graduates of Fuller. One is a pastor, the others are in varying forms of ministry. I can't recommend it highly enough. I'll try to get some info from them and post it accordingly.

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My suggestion for you is to try Southern Evangelical Seminary: www.ses.edu

I am currently attending there, and of all the accredited seminaries, it is one of the more reasonably priced. It also has a 60 hour master's degree that is a possible alternative to the 94 hour MDiv. They may still have the 36 hour degree also, which gives a solid base in bible and theology, but is more limited.

I'm sure there are some excellent folks from Fuller, but based on the comments that the Fuller president made when he spoke at the Mormon Tabernacle, it makes me wonder about the discernment there. Further, a few years back there was a discussion there about biblical inerrancy, and all the innerrantist professors left. Again, I've heard some give the school a strong recommendation, but I would encourage you to investigate it carefully and compare it to other conservative seminaries.

4. cysperus

cysperus New Member

I believe this issue with Fuller was discussed in another thread and I do find it quite troubling. What attracts me to Fuller is its diversity. Right I only know of two seminaries that have a lot of international students -- Dallas Theological Seminary and Fuller. The ThM program of DTS seems too long for me and Fuller has more flexibility with their MA because one has a lot more options for further studies compared to the MABS of Dallas.

Regent University is another school I'm looking at because of its distance program. I think they have the least number of residence requirements compared to other seminaries but again the cost is also quite high. As for Southern Evangelical Seminary, their MA in Biblical Studies appears to be solid considering that they are offering courses in Greek and Hebrew. Thanks for the link I already bookmarked it.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cysperus, a caveat if you believe in Biblical inerrancy (as I do, of course): Fuller was a primary target of Harold Lindsell's criticism in Battle for the Bible (1976). In those days, key Fuller faculty members did not believe in Biblical inerrancy. I don't know about the school nowadays, but please check carefully as you pray about the Lord's will.

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    cysperus,

Fuller is a good school and you will surely get a good education if you work hard and apply yourself there.

However, it is very expensive if I remember correctly?! If you are in the west/California area, then I would consider the SBC option of Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary. It is extremely cheap even if you are not from an SBC church compared to most other nationally ranked seminaries.

sdg!

rd