1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fun ideas ...time with kids

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by myreflection26, Sep 27, 2001.

1. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

I thought I would share something fun that my husband and I do with our son, it is fun and promotes time and talk with him too.

We have what we call "Coffe Break Time" and we set up a small table in the living room with three chairs and I make hot chocolate (coffee) and we sit together with computer, tv and music all off and we have a little snack and coffee together around the little table like in a coffee house and we talk about whats happening in our lives and how our day went. Our son loves this, it makes him feel all grown up and we love the chance to talk to him. :D

Does anyone else have any great ideas to get your kids to sit down and talk a little and get those little imaginations running?

Sue

2. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Hey Sue! I actually did something with our 4 year old that even though it is a very simple thing...he had so much fun.. He has kind of felt left out recently with me spending a lot of one-on-one time with our 7 yr old doing homework so Ben likes to do his own "homework" as he says. I wrote the alphabet on a sheet of paper and cut each letter out in little squares. I put them all in an envelope and he would close his eyes and draw a letter. I would write the letter at the top of a piece of paper and he and I would sit there and try to think of anything we could that began with the letter he chose. It's really good to get them recognizing sounds and hours after we had stopped he would be talking and all the sudden he would say something and shout...HEY MOMMY...That starts with the letter ____ and he'd say, go put it on our list! like I said, it's simple, but at 4 years old...it doesn't take a whole lot to get them excited!

3. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Nicole,

Great idea!!! You just gave me a wonderful tip in helping my 4 year old learn. He is eager to learn, but his attention span isn't always cooperating with his eagerness so I've had to come up with new ideas and now I can add this one to it. Thanks!!

Hooked on Phonics is a great program, but something I don't like about it is when teaching children letters, they use numbers to keep track of the cards and that actually confuses my son so he'll start to get more interested in counting than saying the alphabet. :rolleyes:

Sue