1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fun language thread

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Boanerges, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

oh yeah - mel did the movie in aramaic didn't he - that was really "creative license" - as I understand it, Greek was the common language at that time ;)

sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread, I just couldn't help myself [​IMG]

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

oh yeah - mel did the movie in aramaic didn't he - that was really "creative license" - as I understand it, Greek was the common language at that time ;)

</font>[/QUOTE]The movie is done in Aramaic, Hebrew and street latin. Depends on who is talking. The common language for the common man of the time and place was Aramaic. I think Jesus probably spoke Aramaic to the common man and probably spoke Hebrew in the Temple.

Look at this.

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”
    Mark 15:34

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleve this is Jesus speaking Aramaic. Sorry for keeping this thread derailed. Continue on with the discusion.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]The movie is done in Aramaic, Hebrew and street latin. Depends on who is talking. The common language for the common man of the time and place was Aramaic. I think Jesus probably spoke Aramaic to the common man and probably spoke Hebrew in the Temple.

Look at this.

And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which is translated, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”

Correct me if I am wrong but I beleve this is Jesus speaking Aramaic. Sorry for keeping this thread derailed. Continue on with the discusion.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Copycat!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In His grace,
    Ed [​IMG]

4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Oh, I guess I should read all the posts from the top before responding.

But the top half of the post is all me.

5. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Look at this.

</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, Aramaic was one of the languages that Jesus spoke. Did you notice that there was no Greek anywhere in the Passion movie? I guess the Bible must have been originally written in Latin. :rolleyes:

What does the Word say?

Luk 23:38 And also an inscription was written over Him, in Greek and Latin and Hebrew letters: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

Did anyone notice the sign over the cross in the movie? It had Aramaic and Latin only. I believe that the scripures are right when they say Hebrew instead of Aramaic, because that was the language of the temple and the Pharisees in Jewish legal matters. In my opinion, Mel got one out of three right on the sign. So much for Biblical and historical accuracy. :confused:

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

How about Boanerges....sounds kinda Aramaic ....doesn't it?

7. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Boanerges G993

BOANER'GES (bo-a-nur'jez; Greek from Aramaic (H1123)and(H7266)

"Sons of thunder," "noise," regosha, cf. Arab. rejasa, "to rumble" "thunder".

Compare Aram. riggusha (Syr. regsha, "tumult"; rugza, "anger").

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

So does anybody here have a web site that teaches aramaic?

9. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I don't know of any. Keep in mind that there are different types of Aramaic. There is Biblical (as in parts of Genesis, Daniel, Jeremiah, Ezra,etc) Middle (rabbinic writings), and late Aramaic (church of the east- Peshitta), as well as some other dialects (Palestinian, Galilean etc).Here is a forum with some knowledgable contributors:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aramaic/messages

10. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

11. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Some people have questioned this. Here is an article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3515997.stm

12. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I was kinda hoping we would find some more Aramaic words - so here's three:

Golgatha G1115

Ephphatha G2188