1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamental/Mainstream/Reformed ???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by puros_bran, Sep 10, 2008.

1. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several weeks back the Pastor,who is also the Sunday School Teacher for my age group, issued a call for us (3 couples and a lady who's husband just left for Iraq) to become the church leaders/teachers/deacons/pastor etc etc that We should be, in other words 'Its time to grow up'. Being a Trucker I am to some degree out of daily fellowship, so I turned to the Net to suppliment. I have found satisfaction in this and a couple other boards but I've encountered Labels that I don't quite grasp. What exactly is Fundamental/Mainstream/Reformed theology as it applies to the Baptist denomination? How do they compare/contrast?

If I'm beating a dead horse I apologize in advance. The search function doesn't operate properly on my BlackBerry.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hey brother,

Most likely fundamental would refer to that branch of Baptists that have a strict adherance to the fundamentals, namely the diety of Christ, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, innerancy (inspiration and infalibility) of Scripture, bodily resurrection of Christ, et.

Mainstream might refer to the Southern Baptist Convention within a Baptist context. Reformed theology most commonly would refer to Calvinism but could include Covenant Theology as well.

Hope that helps,
    RB

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a good definition from wikipedia on fundalmentalism from its actual founding rather than some peoples redefinition thought this call has had a lot of acceptance in certain baptist churches: