1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamental question regarding missions giving

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Precepts, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Precepts

Precepts New Member

On the behalf of missions, do you know what the Lord expects of us to do about missions giving?

The Apostle Paul has much to say to the churches about their giving to him and others as him being a missionary.

How much should we give to missions? Should we even give? Do missionaries give to missions?

Thank you for any response on this topic.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask God to guide. Give what you can. Do it cheerfully.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a member of Calvary Baptist (English-speaking - military)in Germany. Our church had a mission pastor from Baptist International Missions INC (BIMI). One summer, we had a BIMI pastor,(also from a military church)in Spain, whom we supported, come up to our church for a missions conference. Our Pastor, Bob Fuller, told me our church should consider increasing our support for this pastor in Spain. I asked why their church just couldn't increase his salary. Bob told me that their budget (including missions) was tight. Come to find out, their church was supporting our (mission) pastor.
    So anotherwords, our churches were giving each others pastors support.
    I have never figured out how that made any sense, execpt it makes your mission budget look better.

Comments?

4. brochip1

brochip1 New Member

Regarding the question about giving. I personally believe that God has set forth what is commonly called "faith promise" missions giving. I will not argue with anyone on this topic. As far as do missionaries give to missions: as for this missionary the answer is a definite yes. I give a specific amount through my local church, which I increase as God leads each year. I also give to other missionaries in confrences, meetings, etc. I personally believe that the heartbeat of God is missions. Both home and abroad. I also believe that every christian should ask God for a burden for souls. Psa 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
    Psa 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

5. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Bro Chip, if I may presume, I would almost believe you've heard of Brother Stinnet Ballew, HarvestTime Broadcast? If not, look him up on the net:

http://www.harvesttimebroadcast.com/

He is probably the strongest preacher I know on Missions, a great man of God.

I got a PM from a dear Sister that she was cautious about replying to this topic because she thought her stand would be attacked. Hmmm? Would that suggest why hardly anyone has responded? I hope this isn't true, God forbid that we should be so callous towards missions, why, if it wasn't for a missionary, we all would be lost!

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What the Lord expects of ME concerning missions? Give to my local church. They support a number of missionaries (including two we support 100%).

I am to be faithful with giving and since God established the local church for this dispensation, I will not funnel my money to a board or other parachurch organization.

Personal decision.

The wife gives very little $$ to missions per se, but gives thousands of dollars in free or reduced cost health services and supplies to missionaries we know.

"Let euery man bee fully perswaded in his owne minde." Romans 14:5 AV

7. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I'll agree with you whole heartedly in context with your reply, but even a mass murderer can find Bible to justify his actions with that verse, whether Elizabethan letterhead or not. :eek: ;)