1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalism, Gnosticism, and Quaker "inner light"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Siegfried, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. This would do with unconditional keeping of his covenant (in context).

2. Does this refer to a "call" to preach or to salvation?

3. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

4. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

5. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

6. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

7. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

8. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

9. Salvation again (which always includes sanctification and therefore service toward one another).

I saw a distinct pattern in those verses Bob. We know what they say and mean. This discussion is about a particular "inner light or feeling" that people use to determine obedience to God. It is subjective and has no biblical support. Obviously, when one is saved, he/she is going to serve others.

Have a nice day.

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preachers,

Do you believe that the Holy Spirit can impress on your heart what to preach on a given Sunday?

Thanks,

Jason

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Clearly, preachers need to be sensitive to those around him and know the circumstances that exist within the church. He can address those issues like that.

In counseling sessions, something might come to mind.

If a particular book needs to be taught in one concentrated effore, then do that.

I would say that the Lord might bring something to mind in rememberance or something like that. That isn't the same thing as the whole "God led me to do...". I wonder how many times God brought something to the pastor's attention so that he would really study it and then preach it only to have the preacher shoot from the hip on the issue.

4. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Be careful. You sound like you are talking about needs preaching [​IMG]

5. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

There's probably more than one way to answer that question.

I believe the Holy Spirit certain CAN. From Scripture I would have a tough time proving that He DOES.

I have no idea what criteria I would use to determine if the Holy Spirit was impressing on my heart what to preach, or if I was simply sensing a need to preach that particular message based on my knowledge of their needs and of Scripture.

It would be wrong for me to stand up and say, "The Holy Spirit impressed upon me the need to preach this message." How could I objectively know that to be true? A feeling? A sixth sense?

What I COULD say for sure is that my message is God's authoritative message because it is based on the Word of God (of course that's only true if my message is an accurate interpretation of the passage combined with proper application).

What further authority could I possibly need?

6. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Great conclusion. That is exactly what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

There is a big difference between addressing issues from your sermon and using issues to determine your sermon.

Now, back to the original discussion...

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the "Uh" necessary or are you just searching for something to say? Yes, someone did say that it is not supported by Scripture.
    I beg to differ. The intitial post says nothing whatsoever regarding the call to preach. I'll copy it here so you will not have to go to the first page to view it.

Siegfried posted:
    "Over the past several months I have been studying church history in general and Baptist history in particular. Some of the historical facts I've encountered have interacted with some strains of modern Fundamentalism in a manner I did not expect.

First, Gnosticism was more than just a heresy with bad Christology. Although Gnosticism was remarkably nebulous and diffuse, even for a cult, a primary principle was its unique view of special revelation. Gnostics emphasized a special revelation of Christian knowledge that was only available to the elite few.

Second, some of the early English Baptists, John Smyth and Roger Wiliams among them, spoke out against the Quaker "inner light" theology. Quakers believed that God guided people in life's decisions by some internal revelation of truth.

Here's my conclusion. Much of Fundamentalism's modern day terminology and theology was rejected by both the early church fathers and our Baptist ancestors as heresy.

How many times have we heard someone say these things?
    1. "God told me to . . ."
    2. "I prayed and God led me to . . ."
    3. "God called me to . . ."
    4. "I know that [fill in the blank] is true because God showed me . . ."
    5. "I believe that the [translation acronym] is the only Word of God because God speaks to me through it.

Please understand, I am not attacking the conclusions these individuals reach. I am simply pointing out that the methods of reaching those conclusions have historically been rejected as un-Scriptural and heretical." emphasis mine.

Please highlight for me the part that limits this discussion to "the call to preach."

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

This is the "original question" to which I am referring. Not the "original question" that started the thread. In fact, the first post in the thread is a statement, not a question at all.

Obviously, I was wrong not to specify that it was the 10th post in the thread in which the "original question" appeared.

And by the way, you are incorrect. No one said "called of God" is unbiblical terminology. I said "called to preach" is unbiblical.

Please stop trying to parse my statements about "original questions" when it's quite plain you're not reading what I post.

10. Molly

Molly New Member

I always think the open and closed door philosophy is interesting....how can we determine what a closed door means,it could mean many different things to different people...who is correct in interpreting what it means,you or I? I don't think so,so we can not determine God's will from that.

Maybe what you are talking about is God's providence...he does lead and guide us,we don't see or know what God is doing,but we know He is doing what He needs done. I can look back and see God's providence in areas of my life:my marriage,church situations,many things that God brought about in my life...but to KNOW when and how He leads us,that is unverifiable,and like I have said before,we sure can not base it on our feelings...

To say,I feel God is leading me to go talk to a person in sin is not correct,but I choose to go talk to the person because it is taught in scripture,so I know it is the right thing to do. I go back to the same ole argument,God leads through His word,the only thing we are sure of.

[ December 17, 2002, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Molly ]

11. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gidday Sigfried,

The Holy Spirit speaks to us in an Audible Voice. Acts 8:29 "Then The Spirit said to Phillip, Go near and Overtake this chariot." Here is one example of Phillip having what we would term a Modern day "word" from the Lord.

The Holy Spirit is indeed the Teacher of the bible. 1Cor 2:12-13 "Now we have recieved not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from GOd, that we might know things that have been freely given by God. These things we also speak, not in Words which mans wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Remember, The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead. He is truly and properly God and truly and properly Spirit. God is way more than a "Guiding light" He is your Lord and Saviour, Emmanuel God with Us.

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The sad thing is that many people teach/preach against extrabiblical authorities when they look past themselves.

When you claim that "God has told you..." and all the other phrases that Siegfried posted, you are relying on extrabiblical authority no different from the charismatics.

13. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Gnosticism is neither nebulous or diffuse...It may just not be as openly expressed as mainstreem religions such as Baptists. And it is not based on knowledge only available to an elite few. it's widespread and growing. Elite few? This is specifically against Gnostic belief.

The originator of Novus Spiritus, a gnostic religion, has also made this mistake in her statements about the Bible in her book Souls perfection. She states something as fact when I have read the Bible and can disprove it easily. What she said was that Satan is only mentioned 3 times in the Bible. I proved that Satan has been referred to 10 times by the name Satan and several other times as other names such as Beelzebub, Lucifer, the Serpent. How can anyone take what someone says about a given topic as fact, when it can be so easily disproved?

I understand that you may not have intended to state something that would be later debated as being incorrect.... I'm just saying that I have studied the gnostic religion and found your statement to be flawed.

[ December 17, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

14. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

First, let me comment on Proverbs 3:6. I have not personally done exegetical work on this passage, since I don't know Hebrew yet. Those whom I have read and heard argue that "direct" could just as well and perhaps better be translated "make smooth, straight, or pleasant." The NASV and NIV reflect this view, and the NKJV MacArthur Study Bible includes it as a footnote.

You may not buy into this interpretation just because I'm tossing it out there, and I wouldn't expect you to. It is worth some further study. I wish I had some solid resources right in front of me, but I don't.

The open door concept comes primarily, I believe, from Paul's references to it in 1 and 2 Corinthians and Colossians. In these situations, though, Paul is referring to the opportunity to preach the gospel to an apparently receptive audience. It's safe to say today that if we have a similar opportunity, we should take advantage of it. On the other hand, it would be dangerous for us to apply that concept to all life's decisions.

As far as the Holy Spirit is concerned, Christ promised the disciples that He would guide them in understanding the truth that Christ had taught them. I know that's not all that the Holy Spirit does, but it seems to be a central passage that people take and run with.

15. Molly

Molly New Member

Siegfried,(did I spell that name right???)

I think that is where that saying comes from and,like you,I have come to understand that as an open door for sharing or teaching the gospel,not on detrmining God's will or guidance on any issue.

16. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

That passage teaches that He spoke to Philip audibly, not that he speaks to everybody audibly. Are you advocating special revelation continuing today?

I agree. My point is that exactly that.

I can't find anything there to argue with. I'm not sure how it's germane to a discussion of people claiming God told them to do something.

17. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Your question is a fair one. Perhaps I should state specifically what I'm talking about when I say that Gnosticism is "nebulous and diffuse."

Gnosticism had no central canon, but many different texts. It possessed no central administration. It adapted to different religions (such as Gnostic Judaism). It emphasized revealed knowledge, not learned knowledge. That revealed knowledge is not accessible to everyone, but rather through some subjective experience. Gnostics looked down on those outside their group who had not attained to their levels of knowledge.

On those several points we can clearly see some stark contrasts between Gnosticism and Christianity.

I don't really question your research. The fact that we could both study the subject and come to divergent conclusions may well prove the point that there were diverse strains of the cult floating around. Another factor is that you seem to be looking at modern Gnosticism, while I'm referring to the ancient forms. Either way the very name Gnosticism suggests that the adherents were looking for some kind of unusual knowledge not available to everyone.

18. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

That is where I think we disagree...it is available to everyone.

Gnosis means to know God, it's greek isn't it?.

Different interpretations are what every person has when studying every kind of religion...including Christianity. The revealing of what is meant by scripture comes gradually...little by little. Understanding comes with study and prayer. This is true in every religion I have studied...especially Christianity.

Funny how all religions have so many simularities...why is that?

As for me... I'll keep seeking until I find the answers...so much information...so little time. ;)

As to us having divergent opinions about gnosticism... I agree that with my study of ancient gnosticism it did appear to be more cult like than modern gnosticism. The things I read, were alarming disimilar to modern day gnostics. Well... I guess that could be said about Baptist too...no revelation in that statement.

[ December 17, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

19. 2peter1_10

2peter1_10 New Member

John 16:7-15
    Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you. 15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.

What I mean by details of life is the application of Biblical principles in the individual decisions that each person makes in their life that are not clearly spoken about in the Bible. No Christian is to marry an unsaved person (2 Corinthians 6:14) this is clearly dealt with. However, should little Bobby marry little Peggy Sue (they are both Christians) is not dealt with. This is where the Holy Spirit illuminates the Biblical principle to the individual.

The above verse says that the Holy Spirit guides in all truth not just ones clearly expressed in the Bible, but would include the application of Biblical principles in the daily life. If the Holy Spirit did not guide the Christian in how to apply the Bible the he or she would be left to use human wisdom. All human wisdom is unreliable because of the sin nature, which will not be eradicated until we get our glorified bodies.

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

God is Consistant with His Word Seigfried, If in the New Testament The Holy Ghost speaks to Phillip in an Audible voice, then it is not going against what scripture is saying to suggest that He can.

No where in the New Testament can I find it written that the Holy Spirit cannot speak in an audible voice. So it is not unreasonable to reason, that this is in fact one of the ways in which he does work.

I think the reason that people do not hear more often from the Holy Spirit, is the fact that people are afraid to get to know Him.