1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentalism in the UK

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Botfield, May 24, 2007.

1. Botfield

Botfield New Member

I am a new member here and live in England. I attend an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church near where I live. It is only small, but stays true to the Word. You can find more out about my church here: Donnington Wood Baptist Church.

Unfortunately, there are not many fundamentalists in the UK, and those that are tend to be like my church - small, independents.

The Baptist Union of Great Britain is 'moderate'. It has no control over anyn Baptist church in the UK, but acts as a public face for the church. The problem is that many churches such as my own disagree with what the BUGB says on some issues; especially when the press seem to think that the BUGB speaks for all Baptist churches!

Still, we plough our furrough and live by the Word.

It is nice to be able to meet others who believe as I do on this board.

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Welcome (from another English member :) to the Board.

Yes, I agree with what you say about the Baptist Union. They even claim on their website: "The Baptist Union of Great Britain (BUGB) is the Baptist family in England and Wales", in spite of the fact that there are many local Baptist churches that choose not to be part of the BU.

Unlike the situatiuon in US, the word "fundamentalist" is not used very much over here in the names of Baptist churches or groupings of churches. But if by "fundamentalist" you mean "seeking to be faithful to biblical doctrine and practice, as expressed (for example) in the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith and the 1966 "Affirmation of Faith", then there are Baptist churches like that. ecause of their beliefs, they generally don't become affiliated to the Baptist Union. Some are affiliated to the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches, some to Grace Baptist Assembly, and some choose to have no national affiliation at all.

Every blessing,

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I pastor a fundamental Baptist Church in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. We have no desire to be affiliated with the Baptist Union as it is ecumenical in its outlook and often liberal in its positions. We are premillennial dispensational, use the Authorised Version, and are conservative in our music styles. If you want to know more see:

www.miltonbaptistchurch.co.uk

4. Botfield

Botfield New Member

Hi! Thanks for the replies! My church is premillennial dispensationalist, does not believe in ecumenism, and mostly uses the KJB (I say mostly as the majority use the KJB). Although affiliated with the BUGB, the church has very little to do with them.

Thanks for the links - I will check them out.

John

5. mnw

mnw New Member

Hi.

www.ifmfocus.com has a growing list of fundamental baptist churches in the UK and Ireland.

Actually, for some reason the list is missing. Okay, temporarily have a look at www.thewickens.info and go to the links.

Hopefully in a day or two the links at www.ifmfocus.com should be back.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I must stress that I am only asking, not seeking to start a discussion on bible versions, which I know would belong on another forum.

Is the main difference between the churches listed at www.ifmfocus.com and other baptist churches which are conservative, non-ecumenical, non-liberal, and so on, the fact that in the former, the AV is the preferred translation, whereas in the latter, it may or may not be?

I've also noticed that two of the correspondents on this thread say that their churches are premilenial. Is that the general belief among ifmfocus churches? My own church is amilennial (now there's a misnomer if ever there was one :) ) but there is no one eschatological viewpoint that is acceptable in order to be affiliated to (say) Grace Baptist Assembly, or the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches.

Just wondering.

Every Blessing,

7. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

IFM listed churches must subscribe to the IFM SOF, which is premillennial with a preference for exclusive use of the AV. That said, churches who are listed are at liberty to fellowship with whatever non ecumenical, non charismatic churches they please without affecting their affiliation to IFM. For example, our church fellowships with a neighbouring church which has no particular eschatalogical viewpoint (although the Pastor is amill), and uses primarily the NKJV.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Suggestion from an American Cousin

Why don't you guys get together some Saturday when MU isn't playing in say Bristol. From the looks of your locations, Bristol seems to be neutral turf. Though, y'all can always feel "the call of God" and go down to Devon to get some fellowship (and sunshine).