1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamentals

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Nov 10, 2006.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I was thinking about this in one of the "alcohol" threads. Fundamental, now often a negative term, in my mind, is someone who adheres to the "fundamentals" of the faith. This came to mind because in the alcohol thread, I was wondering, "is this considered a fundamental of the faith to some". I don't want to get back on that issue....but was wondering what some of you consider the fundamentals of the faith, and if maybe someone has something on their list that may not be on anothers. Just curious. Here is mine:

1) One God in three persons (ie. monotheism, Trinity)
    2) Divinity of Jesus
    3) Literal resurrection
    3) Authority and Inerrancy of Scripture
    4) Salvation through faith in Jesus
    5) Atoning work of Jesus on the Cross

There are a some I think most would have on their list. Any others on your lists?

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

To me, a fundamentalist is one who believes that every word of the Bible is God-breathed from In to Amen. To such a person the doctrines will fall into place; basically, yes, the ones you mention, adding the virgin birth and His sinless life, but, of course, if you believe in His divinity, those two go hand-in-hand.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

yes.....i was consider those two with His divinity.

4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Please do not forget the resurrection. Without the resurection we might as well give up. We are resurected to new life when the Holy Spirit puts to death the old nature and gives us a new nature and life in Christ. We are risen with Him! This is a supernatural event.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

yeah, i put a literal resurrection on my list in the first post on this thread.

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Would like to add a couple continuing in harmony of His Word as shown in your list, and appending you #4.

6) Eternal Life
    7) New Heaven, Earth, with lake of fire filled.

7. standingfirminChrist

If one does not obey His Word, can it truly be said that that one believes the fundamentals?

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fortunately one can believe in the fundamentals and still not be a Fundamentalist.
    Common attributes of the modern movement include separatism and a young-earth (both of which I disagree with).

1) One God in three persons (ie. monotheism, Trinity - includes divinity of the Father, Son and HS)
    2) Authority of Scripture
    3) Sinfulness of mankind
    4) Bodily resurrection of Jesus
    5) Salvation through faith in Jesus
    6) Atoning work of Jesus on the Cross
    7) Our glorious hope

Rob

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I would say yes, but only until we find that one which says they are perfect.

We would then ask that person to prove they always obeyed His Word, according to the Word of God.

Even though they believe in the fundamentals, if they don't agree with the Word of God, then they are not perfect, meaning we can believe the fundamentals, for we haven't yet found the perfect person.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

the virgin birth

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I would add repentance of your sinful life and a born again experience (filled with the Holy Ghost)