1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Funding a Seminary Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by BCF Jeff, Jul 5, 2006.

1. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

First let me thank all for that responded to my posts seeking advice as to where to attend seminary. Your advice was very useful. I have decided to begin at the SEBTS extension campus in Tampa then transfer credits to NOBTS.

Now that I know where I will attend the question turns to how can I afford to attend. What financial aid strategies are available for seminarians? As a pastor serving at a small church and not already possesing a master's I am somewhat limited as to funds.

Let me again thank you for you assistance.

BCF Jeff
    :applause:

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    $$$$$$$$

Jeff,

Never fear;

"Where God guides, God provides!" It sounds trite and cheap but it is true. I have followed God's call in the educational ministry for 25 years, it has been lean at some times but my family and I have always had enough. When you follow Christ you find that you really do not need much of this world's goods. Although, it is nice to have a little icing on the cake from time to time.

Secondly, I would exhort and encourage you to understand that all SBC students at the "Big 6" are already on about a 60-75% scholarship. This is in comparison to what it costs to say Emory, Duke, Vandy, Gordon-Conwell, Dallas TS, Trinity Evangelical Divinity, Wheaton et al. This really puts everything in perspective for the "SBC Hand!"

Thirdly, get to know your denominational workers on all levels. Sometimes your local associations and state conventions will have money ear marked for theological studies. You will have to "jump through some hoops" and fill out a lot of paper work but it will be worth it. And besides that, you really do need the discipline of asking and humbling yourself. That way you know that God is at work and that your education really did cost you as well as other a great deal.

Fourth, why not ask your church (or other churches) to help just from time to time if nothing else. Ask your home church. The best missions money that is spent is on an up and coming missionary or preacher.

Just some thoughts and I hope they help!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Contact financial aid offices for the schools. My husband and I graduated from NOBTS and received scholarships and grants from there many times. You are not eligible during your first semester, though. Also, NOBTS will put students on a payment plan with no interest that ensures that tuition is paid by the end of the semester. Thats how we are paying for my husbands PhD.
    I know its hard, but learning to trust God when it doesnt seem possible is part of the sacrifice and part of the journey. Best wishes!

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think what TaterTot is saying is more helpful. God may change your decision based upon finances ;) It is HIS money any way.

God bless you, study hard, remember there will be alot of late nights - if you are married - take care of her and do not 'neglect' her just because the studies are difficult.

God bless

Wayne

5. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

If, as I suppose (since you are going to an SBC seminary), you are Southern Baptist, then inquire of the state Baptist foundation associated with your state Convention. I am Executive Director of the District of Columbia Baptist Convention Foundation, and we provide scholarships to students from our churches who attend seminaries that are accredited and Baptist or who participate in Baptist Studies programs in other seminaries. I believe most of our counterparts offer similar opportunities.