1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Future sins forgiven?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by natters, Apr 23, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

96.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Unsure

3.2%
  4. No answer, I just want to see the results

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. natters

natters New Member

When we are saved, our sins are forgiven. This includes past sins, but does it include future sins?

It would be nice to explain your answer. [​IMG]

2. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

I said yes because I believe God is outside of time, eternal, and He does not look at any point in time and say there, I've forgiven the sins up to that point, but none beyond; He forgives them all at once.

3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Yes. Christ died for all sin.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. natters

natters New Member

If you voted "yes": if we sin after we are saved, do we need to ask forgiveness for that? Why or why not?

6. carlaimpinge

carlaimpinge New Member

Romans 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We do not "need" to in order to retain salvation.

We "need" to in order to go on serving Jesus without the bagage of it eating us up.

It is for our own well being.

God will chasten us, showing us our sin daily. Confessing it releases the ill feeling it brings and brings blessing from God which heals us and keeps us spiritually healthy.

God Bless! [​IMG]

8. Michael52

Michael52 Member

If we are truly saved, we have already agreed with God that we are sinners and want to live without sin as He would have us to. We will confess our subsequent sins because we are humbled by His absolute holiness and amazing grace he lavished on a wretch like me. We will ask for forgiveness and plead for our realtionship with Him to be strenthend to find his will.

Will we never sin again? Will we do all these things perfectly? Of course not! That's why we need a Savoir! Praise Jesus! [​IMG]

I also like what brother steaver said. [​IMG]

9. natters

natters New Member

It seems very odd to me to ask for something you already have.

10. Michael52

Michael52 Member

It also may seem odd to pray for things that are true, to be true and for things to happen that will most assuredly happen. Nevertheless, Jesus said:

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's not just asking for something you already have, confessing shows we know it was a sin, we know we have displeased God, we know it has interfered with our relationship with Him and are turing away from the sin, it is a desire not to do that again, even though we do, we mess up, we sin, and we always will while we are in the flesh, we must still understand that we've sined. If our future sins were not forgiven we couldn't go to heaven with unconfessed sin, even the ones weren't at the time aware we had done.

12. natters

natters New Member

So why don't we simply confess sin and thank God for the forgiveness we had received in the past? Why does the Lord's prayer say "Forgive us our trespasses" instead of "thank you that you forgave our trespasses"? Why does 1 John 1:9 say "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" instead of "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and has already forgave us our sins, and cleansed us from all unrighteousness"?

13. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

So why don't we simply confess sin and thank God for the forgiveness we had received in the past? Why does the Lord's prayer say "Forgive us our trespasses" instead of "thank you that you forgave our trespasses"? Why does 1 John 1:9 say "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" instead of "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and has already forgave us our sins, and cleansed us from all unrighteousness"? </font>[/QUOTE]I believe I John 1:9 is talking about the practical(progressive sanctification) process. We need forgiveness daily for our sins in order to keep our relationship right with God and to do his will.

Look at the verses before it:

If I as Christians walk in darkeness(in sin) then I can have no fellowship with God while that sin remains - when I confess it, as he later speaks of, my relationship or fellowship is restored.

If we say I John is refering to forgivness of sins in the positional sense, then we have just ripped the heart out of the doctrine of inputed righteousness.

If I have the perfect inputed righteousness of Christ, what sin of mine will keep me from eternal life?

IFBReformer

14. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Boy, this is me to a T. When I really took a good hard look at myself and the things I have done, many which were after my conversion, what a wretched man indeed. I deserve nothing from my Lord Jesus. There is nothing I can do or say that makes me worthy of the grace I have received. Praise God that my destiny is now in His hands and not my own! It is all about Grace.

God Bless!

15. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Steaver you have it right in this thread.Although we don't lose our salvation sin does effect our relationship with God. Confession cleans us up and renews us daily.There are sins of omission and commission. If we say we have no sin we make God a liar.

16. bmerr

bmerr New Member

natters,

bmerr here. Rom 3:25 says, "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare he reghteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God."

Additionally, 1 John 1:7-9, verses we are all familiar with, contains much on this topic.

There is the condition of fellowship with God and each other: "If we walk in the light as he is in the light..."

The understanding that stumbling in our walking in the light (the occasional "slip-up sin", or sin of ignorance [my opinion]) is handled continuously by the blood of Christ, which cleanses us from all sin.

The assurance that we never reach a state of continued sinless perfection (verse 8). Not that we couldn't go a day or so without sin, but nobody's perfect.

And finally, the assurance that if we do fall into sin, the erring Christian can be cleansed from his unrighteousness if he confesses his sins (which would include repentance from the sin).

When one obeys the gospel through faith, repentance from sin, and baptism, his sins from his former life are washed away. The new life in Christ must then be lived faithfully, though (thanks be to God) not perfectly.

That is why Simon the sorcerer was told to repent of his wickedness and pray to God to forgive him. He was a baptized believer, saved just like the rest of the Samaritans, but he made a beginners' mistake that was sinful.

In Christ,
    bmerr

17. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Jesus Christ was crucified almost 2000 years ago, all of my sins were future.

18. bmerr

bmerr New Member

TC,

I understand what you're saying, but would it not follow that every sin from the time of Christs' death to the end of time is forgiven, regardless of whether sinners repent of them, or even believe the gospel?

It seems to me if we were to follow your line of thinking that that would be the eventual conclusion. I may have missed your point of view, though.

In Christ,
    bmerr

19. Michael52

Michael52 Member

Only sins that are covered by the blood of Jesus are forgiven.

20. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

The word SAVED says it all.

Like heaven is restricted within our time scale.

Why on earth would angels rejoice.

Get a life.

Imagine water going down the plug hole...and your SAVED from it.

Geez...

David