1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Futurism's advocates were once considered insignificant

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Logos1, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

Happy New Year to all!

When work needs doing in the evenings I don't bother with boards, but during my recent absence I happened upon a quote I knew you all would enjoy.

Frederic Farrar was chaplain to Queen Victoria and Headmaster of Marlborough College among other positions in the late 1870's.

"He stated Futurism has always been numerically small and at present may be said to be non-existent. "

I'm not sure what view of prophecy he took, but he didn't make any such comments about what he believed were the other two main views of prophecy--preterism and historicsm. Not that I have found any way.

Also interestingly even Thomas Ice has admitted that the futurist's view is receding back to its pre Darby days.

I think common sense, the work of the Holy Spirit, and a true desire to understand the correct view of bible prophecy is ultimately guiding most people to full preterism. Not that everyone will ultimately hold that view, but the longer we pass from those soon statements all through out the New Testament the more and more foolish it makes one look to claim they are in the future. I'm betting when a million or billion years go by that if I can look from my heavenly perch down on earth futurism will have long been assigned to the dustbin of history and preterism will be the dominant view.

But and here is the fun part--there will no doubt be a few radicals trying to say soon should put the second coming right about here in our generation a billion years out--gives me some good laughs to look forward to in heaven. I thank those kind souls in advance.

Happy New Year to all,

Logos1

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist