1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fyi

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by exscentric, May 10, 2007.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ETS Executive Committee Statement on Resignation of President Dr. Frank Beckwith
    A release from A. Larry Ross Communications contains the following statement from the Evangelical Theological Society (ETS): "On May 5, 2007, Dr. Frank Beckwith resigned as President of the Evangelical Theological Society. This resignation has come as a result of his decision to be received into full communion in the Roman Catholic Church, which he did on April 29, 2007. Dr. Beckwith has informed the Executive Committee that this was a decision he came to 'after much prayer, counsel, and consideration.' Subsequently, after further prayer and reflection, Dr. Beckwith has voluntarily withdrawn his membership from the Society as well. The members of the Executive Committee wish Dr. Beckwith well in his ongoing professional work... On behalf of the Society, we want to express our gratitude for his work organizing and coordinating the 2006 Annual Meeting in Washington, D.C., with the theme, 'Evangelicals in the Public Square'... Regarding the Presidency of ETS, Dr. Hassell Bullock, President-elect will also serve as acting President until the annual meeting at which time elections for the officers for 2008 will take place.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a member of ETS and I appreciate the manner in which Dr. Beckwith has handled this situation.

I've this elsewhere and will say it here (knowing this is a minority opinion): I wish him well in his journey and hope he is ready to endure the rocks and arrows shot his way by some people. His movement back into Catholicism was, I'm certain, marked by much prayer and theological contemplation. I hope this is another step along the way of bringing evangelicals and Catholics together for more conversations about our unity in Christ. Dr. Beckwith is an outstanding scholar and will continue to make a substantive contribution with his abilities. I pray blessings on he and his family as they participate in this return to their roots for their journey. :)

3. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I decided not to renew my membership with ETS this year (for other reasons), but I hope that people can be charitable in this situation. It seems that there are silly responses on the net from both evangelicals and Catholics over it. I wish him and his family well.

BJ