1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

G.O.P. Platform on Abortion should be more prominent

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Monergist, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Which is also the case for the GOP Agenda found at the GOP Official Website.

Please Note: I did not intend to misrepresent the GOP position. If a Moderator wishes to change my title in light of what Larry has posted, that is certainly OK with me.

Having said that, it is still of great concern to me that their 'official' postion is not more prominent in their campaign agendas. And I still favor the Constitution Party's stand, which is much more obvious.

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

3. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Monergist, it looks like your thread title is factually incorrect. That's a shame, because the point that you are making is right on the money.

I think that those who control and dominate the GOP cynically use the murder of 3800 babies per day as a campaign prop, selectively unveiled in front of pro-life crowds, and hidden when it is inconvienient, with absolu tely no intention of outlawing abortion.

Too bad that so many Christians are willing to go along with this, just because they fear the Democrats, who would do no different.

4. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As opposed to the Democrats whom FIRMLY and DEFINITIVELY support a woman's "right" to murder babies?

What's the point here?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, exactly. I wanted to make that point, but you said it better than I could have.

6. Pennsylvania Jim

"I didn't want you to die, I just stood by and watched and did nothing".

D'ya think that is what Jesus said we should do, when he gave the parable of the Good Samaritan.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Monergist, does this title better represent what you wish to state?
    Gina

8. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Yes, Gina. Thank You.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

There is actually a very big difference. There are many things that I allow that I do not favor. I allow them because reality makes it impossible to change.

Bush's position on exceptions is a bad position without doubt. But I have not heard him advocate people having abortions. I have seen on evidence that he "favors" abortions in any event.

In the interest of honesty and integrity, we must be clear to point out what someone's actual position is; not what we would like to characterize it as.

Case in point: This thead started with a faulty premise. When that premise was shown to be false, the thread starter recommended changing the title and made clear that he did not intend to misrepresent. That was a very good approach to the problem and one that needs to be followed more often.

I agree with Jim that the point of the thread is right on the money. Republicans are not doing nearly enough.

10. Pennsylvania Jim

That's typical, isn't it..."Bush's position is bad, but I'll defend him on it anyway".

That's what happens when you put a candidate on a pedestal.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Would you mind showing where I have ever defended Bush's position on abortion? If not, would you please apologize for misrepresenting what I said?

(HINT: I would encourage you to save the time looking because you won't find me defending his position on abortion. You will in fact find me saying it is wrong and he has not done enough. Just apologize for misrepresenting me and get it over with.)

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think everyone's jumping on Pastor Larry for no reason at all. Thomas Jefferson allowed slavery to continue, though he thought slavery was evil (which it is). That doesn't mean he encouraged slavery.

13. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

The evils of slavery does not even compare to the slaughter of abortion!

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I disagree. I think they're equally evil. Abortion just happens to be the bandwagon du jour of Christian fundamentalism (to the point where we can't even entertain the idea of stem cell research without someone waving a Right to Life banner in our faces).

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    www.stemcellresearch.org

16. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I agree! Every abortion ends in murder and the loss of innocent life. Every slave was not killed, it's not politically correct to say, but many of the slaves were not even abused and mistreated, and some were even educated and evangelized by the slave owners.

17. Pennsylvania Jim

Yep. Abortion is murder.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think that's a false comparison. Otherwise the rationale would be as follows: if there were fewer elective abortions, and if more slaves had been killed by their owners, then slavery would be worse than abortion. I disagree with that line of thinking. The issue is not the quantity, but the liberty: Every white person was allowed to kill any black they owned. Likewise, every woman today is allowed to have an elective abortion upto the 3rd trimester. Most women don't have abortions, and most slaveowners didn't kill their slaves. The issue is not now many did/do or didn't/don't. The fact is that it is/was equally allowable, hence, equally evil.

Every free person had the potential to kill a slave. The prolife arguement is that every conception has the potential to become a fully formed human being. In that light, one can easily conclude that slavery was as evil as abotion today, yet it was allowed to continue as a "necessary evil" (quoting Jefferson).

Just my $.02

19. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

That is not true, every white person was NOT allowed to kill any black they owned. There were both white and black slaveowners, and there were laws on the books in most states against abusing or killing slaves.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

JGrubbs, killing a slave was not considered homicide in slave states. It was generally considered either destruction of property or inhumaine treatment of property (similar to laws governing pet ownership).