1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gaither fans???

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We really love the Gaither's and have a couple DVD's of their concerts. We attended a concert as a gift with some friends this past winter and really enjoyed every minute. We watch one of them or the other several times a week.

Any other Gaither fans? What's your favorite song or can you choose only one?

[ March 11, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: dianetavegia ]

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Diane, I love their concert videos!!

I have so many that I can't name them all. I guess my favorite concert video is O My Glory, but I like so many of them.

I watch them alot too. In fact, sometimes when I am watching, all I can do is just sing and cry and sing and cry!! They are very moving.

Peace-
    S.O.

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I'm a big fan also. Even though I'm a northern boy, my favorite music is Southern Gospel.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The only time I have heard the Gaither's was at the SBC last year in Indy. They were ok.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've enjoyed their "info-mercials" on TV showing some really good old sangin'.

Do NOT care for the modern Vocal Band compared to the old trio.

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The old trio was great until the late 1970's. I went to one of their live concerts in a civic auditorium in the early years, and rather than entertain the audience, they led the congregation in worship. In order to avoid allowing the worship to degrade into entertainment, they left no pauses for applause and rather than ending the concert like a Broadway show, they continued singing but gradually dimmed the stage lights and turned up the house lights and opened the exit doors. It was an experience that many will never forget.

Fortunately, many of their early recordings were preserved and transferred to CD’s and I listen to them often. I have heard some of their more recent recordings and I do not care for them at all.

[​IMG]

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This is what's spooky!!

Back years ago at my home church in Baton Rouge---I remember our Music Minister introducing a piece of music something like

"Here is a brand new song written by a man named Bill Gather! Its called The King Is Coming!" The Music Minister sang it for us and then we started singing it for years and years!!

But here's the spooky part!

A week ago---my Music Minister decides to have "Old Song" day---and says

"Here's an old, old song written by Bill Gaither called The King Is Coming"

Am I gettin' old or is it just the songs we sing?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The Gaither's have a whole set of videos featuring Mark Lowry for children. The series is Gaither's Pond. They're branching out to reach and include the little ones.

We really enjoy their music. I like Signature Sound so much. I have NO problem with getting excited about God and all he's done for me, even if it includes laughter and hand clapping. [​IMG]

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Craigbythesea sez:
    My sentiments exactly, Craig!!

Nothing better than the old series when they weren't so popular or moving into the rock-a-billy style.

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I find myself agreeing with most all the sentiments so far expressed re the Gaithers. I am not primarily an ardent SGM fan; however, there are a few songs here and there that I do enjoy.

I was saved when I was in the military back in 1966. I didn't grow up in what I guess you'd call a "Bible believing fundamentalist" environment. Consequently, some of the "human" themes in a lot of SGM I can not identify with (ex: "seeing my mother pray for me," "looking forward to meeting my momma in heaven," "those old timey revivals of my childhood," etc.)

My parents and friends were not "vile sinners" (as we humans might rank them [of course, ALL of us were/are vile sinners compared to the sinless Son of God whose blood was shed for our redemption!]), but neither were they the personification of Bible loving born again children of God. We attended a very, very liberal church, so, as a consequence I grew up "outside the circle" so to speak.

At any rate, my musical preferences even today trend more toward the classical end of the spectrum (i.e., give me a good English baroque oratorio like "Messiah," or "Israel in Egypt," etc., and I'm "good to go!").

However, there is another part of me that enjoys SOME of SGM, and the "Gaither Sound" in particular.

Let me give you an example of how one familiar Gaither song has impacted me (and then I'll quit babbling!).

I early 2003, I was deployed with my TN Air National Guard unit to the desert area of NW Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. We were located at what the military would classify as a "bare bones" base right outside the Saudi city of Tabuk in NW Saudi Arabia.

We were informed that none of us GI's were permitted to go beyond the barbed wire perimeter of of the base because the area in which we were situated was known for being stridently anti-American, and the city of Tabuk was probably (to borrow an American expression) the "Buckle of the Koran Belt" in that part of the Islamic world.

However, within the confines of our base, we were American military personnel doing what we were trained to do and following orders that ultimately originated from the Commander in Chief. We could, for example, have chapel services wherein the Bible was presented. We could also conduct Christian worship activities so long as they didn't interfere too much with the military reason(s) for our being there in the first place.

Anyway, when it was time for Easter to roll around, we were permitted to use a small area just off the edge of "tent city," and right at the very edge of our base wherein Easter sunrise services could be conducted. Keep in mind where we were then--only a couple hundred miles from Jerusalem, but right smack dab in a very ardently Islamic region.

Those Arabian cars we saw headed into Tabuk that Sunday morning weren't filled with little Arabian girls sporting their brand new Easter bonnets as they eagerly awaited being dropped off at a church wherein they would hear the resurrection story. If they were headed to any place religious there in Tabuk that Easter morning, it would have been to some Islamic mosque.

Anyway, our chaplain directed us to sit not towards the east so that we could see the sun rise, but rather towards the northwest--in the direction of Jerusalem which was only about 250 or so miles away over a couple mountain ranges from us--so that we could focus our hearts in the direction of where it was that THE SON rose that first Easter morning some 2000 or so years ago.

Then, at the conclusion of this Easter sunrise service, this group of rag tag GI's were directed by our chaplain to all stand facing Jerusalem and hold hands with your neighbor and sing these these words that went with an old familiar Gaither tune:

Because HE lives, I can face tomorrow.
    Because HE lives, all fear is gone.
    Because I KNOW who holds the future,
    And life is worth the living just
    Because HE lives!!

My friends, after that song was sung we all sort looked around at each other and quickly realized that there was not a dry eye in that congregation of tired and weary GI's.

The next time you're some 6,000 miles from home in some remote and forbidding Islamic country following the orders from your Commander in Chief to be in a hazardous duty area and engaged in a wartime environment, whether it's Easter or not, try singing "Because He Lives," and see if it doesn't have pretty much the same impact on you as it did for us---and STILL does for me some two years later...right now I'm fighting back tears when I think about how when Jesus Christ rose from the dead on that first resurrection morning, HE defeated the greatest terrorist known to mankind..the very one who was controlling Saddam Huessein and Osama Bin Laden and those terrorists at the controls of those planes on 11 September 2001...Jesus Christ completely liberated mankind from the clutches of Satan that morning when Operation Human Eternal Freedom was launched from that empty tomb and is still in operation today for all who will call upon His saving name.

And it still works for us today....

Because HE lives!

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

AMEN ktn4eg......AMEN!

Greg Sr.

12. Gayla

Gayla New Member

ktn4eg, as George Younce of the Cathedrals used to say
    WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL GGGLLOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

ktn4eg, Thank you so much for sharing this! It brought tears to MY eyes as the wife and mom of four previous soldiers. [​IMG]

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am a fan of the original trio.

If I HAD to pick a favorite song, I think it would be Statue Of Liberty.

15. delly

delly New Member

I am a fan of the Gaithers - past and present. My favorite all time Gaither song: "I Bowed On My Knees and Cried Holy" by the Gaither Trio.
    Other favorites are "Yes, I Know, When He Was On The Cross I Was On His Mind, Loving God, Loving Each Other. Not too many Gaither songs I don't like.

16. Mapipe

Mapipe Member
    Site Supporter

Gaithers are okay, but Doug Oldham was the one that I really appreciated. We have a teenager who still likes his music. He had a couple...What Would I do Without His Music...and...Tall On My Knees I would love to get hold of them somehow.

17. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Ktn4eg, Amen you tell it! thanks for the Great entry and witness.
    Now I like the Gaither stuff, I like the Easters',The Kings Men,the Lewis Family. I like southern,bluegrass,hillbilly Gospel.I like the old hymns.

18. cindig2

cindig2 New Member

I am going to Gaithers Homecoming in Memphis April 15. I'm really excited, my seats are pretty close.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We'd love to go in April here in Atlanta but the nosebleed seats would cost us almost $100. for just 3 of us! Jim's old boss and his wife took the 3 of us to Birmingham in November and we had great seats. They're such dear friends.

20. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member