1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Galatians 1:15-16 Study

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 1:15-16 (NASB)
    But when He [God] who had set me apart from my mother’s womb and called through His grace was pleased

to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood (people).

Our first study question is which Person of the Trinity does the "He" in "when He who had set me apart" refer to?
    The answer (or at least my conclusion) is probably the Father, but to avoid speculation we should leave it as "God."

For what purpose was Paul set apart from the womb? Probably for the purpose of Paul becoming a spokesperson for God.

For what purpose was Paul called through His grace. Here we must put salvation front and center. Christ's startling appearance on the Damascus Road resulted in Paul repenting from the errant traditions of Judaism, and embracing the revelation of Christ.

But for what additional purpose was His Son revealed to Paul? Here we see the revelation not only of the risen Christ, but a little down the road, the revelation of the pure gospel of Christ. Paul's reaction to Christ's revelation is not compelled, but rather his heart-felt response to the revelation of Christ.

Paul did not consult immediately with people, the idea being by prayer and study received God's divine instruction.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you need to replace the "It" with your intended antecedent. Since the passage refers to "His Son" the Father is at least suggested.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Son reveal "his Son?" I think not. :)