1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gambling

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by StraightAndNarrow, Jan 13, 2006.

?
  1. Yes.

23.5%
  2. Yes, but not if it led someone else astray.

23.5%
  3. Yes, but not if it became the master of my life.

52.9%
  4. No, never.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Is gambling (horse racing, betting on football games, poker, blackjack, etc.) acceptable for Christians? This includes buying lotto tickets, friendly small stakes poker games at a friend's home, and football and basketball pools.

2. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

It's just a dirty business. Gambling in its' self may not be a sin, but it consumes many people and every vice in our culture is closely tied to gambling. I avoid it. I have never had a problem with gambling, but other things have taken over my life in the past. I would say for the most part when it comes to gambling if you play with snakes you will get bit

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

bgoc bryan, you hit the nail on the head, and you are properly able to discern between gembling (which is not, in and of itself, a sin) and certain ties thereof, which are sinful. Yet those who cannot discern between the two will accuse others as giving blessing to the sinful ties just because they rightly discren than gambling, in and of itself, it not automatically a sin.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

(double post)

5. standingfirminChrist

Gambling is not being a faithful steward of the money that God has placed in your care. Gambling is a sin.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That has been a frequent argument. However, most are in agreement that if a person whose financial house is in order budgets money for recreation, and that person engages in gambling for recreation, and uses strictly funds budgeted for that purpose, then poor stewardship is not engaged in, any more than any other recreational frivolity that comes from a person's recreation budget.

If, however, a person is gambling (or, for that matter, engaging in any activity involving finances) that using funds budget for other sources, or his financial house is in disorder because of such activities, then engaging in that activity, wiether it's gambling or watermelon seed shooting, is a sin.

7. standingfirminChrist

If one used the money one gambled away on spreading the gospel, it would be to better use.

Just because the majority agree that something is ok does not make it ok.

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Isn't "dirty business" sin? Isn't something as you described sin? You also intermit that gambling is a problem as in one could also have a gambling problem, but yet I cannot fathom why you cannot conceive the notion that then gambling is a sin without recourse or further consideration.
    :(

9. Salamander

Salamander New Member

SFiC, exactly! So many excuse deviant behaviour as a choice for recreation but we know that spreading the Gospel is more important than questionable activities such as gambling IS.

But to the shame of others, it is not. :(

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I would say that a football pool that doesn't involve money is not gambling and is not wrong. I think that small time expenditures in the name of "recreation" can be justified, depending upon circumstances, such as nickel slots, and possibly a few other things.

However, I don't think the vast majority of gambling can be justified, particularly the lottery. (I like to call it a tax on those who can't do math.) The lottery destroys so many lives because those who can least afford it are the ones who purchase about 70% of the tickets, according to the last numbers I read (which was about 10 years ago).

I used to work with people who were afraid to put their retirement into a 401K because they feared that they could lose it all, however, they would spend $100 per week on lottery tickets in hopes of hitting the "big one".

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If one's gambling is putting one in a position of engaging in dirty business, then it should be avoided. But if it is not, then it is permissible.

The presumption above is that all gambling is dirty business, hence a sin. That's not the case.
    If one has a gambling problem, or any other kind of problem, that problem is likely a sin, and needs to be combated. However, that does not make the activity with which one has a problem a sin for all. There are many people that have an eating problem. That does not mean eating is a sin. It can be if abused, but it is not, in and of itself, a sin. Likewise, there are likely many people who have gambling problems. That does not make all gambling a sin for all. To say that [insert activity here] is a sin for all because many have a problem with it is nothing short of liberal religionism, not to mention a perversion of scripture.

I fail to see why you are incapable of discerning this.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It has not been demonstrated that gambling is automatically a questionable activity. What is questionable about a couple of guys froom church getting together for a friendly game of penny-ante poker? You've already said that such a game in and of itself is permissible.
    The shame lies upon you who must result in liberal religionist tacticts to make your point.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I tend to agree, though I think that if a person is spending excess time in front of a nickel slot machine with the intend to not leaving until the big payoff comes, that probably qualifies as a sin.
    Also a good point. But that doesn't make the lottery a sin, it makes the person who plays the lottery under such circumstances a sin. OTOH, I bought a lottery ticket to include in a friend's birthday card. I don't consider purchasing that ticket a sin. I did, however, think it was a sin that she won $9. [​IMG]
    Again, a very good point. That mentality, I think, goes to one of greed, and a person with that mentality should probably avoid the activity.

14. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

From the Webster's 1828 Dictionary :

gambling

GAM'BLING, ppr. Gaming for money

gamble

GAM'BLE, v.i. from game. To play or game for money or other stake.

GAM'BLE, v.t. To gamble away, is to squander by gaming.

Bankrupts or sots who have gambled or slept away their estates.

Everything we have comes from God--that includes money. We are to be good stewards of God's money. I believe that gambling falls under the heading of covetousness, which is a sin.

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. (1 Timothy 6:6-11)

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Again, if one is engaging in gambling, and doing so in a manner which is not covetous, then it is not a sin.

16. standingfirminChrist

John, what man gambles and does not hope or wish to come out with more money? That is coveting.

I have never heard of a person saying, 'I just bought a lottery ticket. I sure hope I lose.'

17. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

How does one gamble in a manner which is not covetous, according to the definition of gambling in Webster's 1828 Dictionary?

18. standingfirminChrist

Might I add it can also fall under lust?

19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

By definition, your statement is a false dictohmy: there is no presumption to what gambling is as coherently defined. Gambling was stated to be "dirty business", that was what was addressed.

Gambling, by definition, is playing on chance with a questionable outcome, that smacks in the face of faith.

We are to live by faith, if we are to be considerd as just.

A person truly desiring to please God would not play the odds for recreational purposes or otherwise due to it's association.

JohnV, you can argue all you like, but many have proven your stance to be ultimately liberal and against Scripture and even against simple definition.

My, Friend, why is it you are so bent on looking so foolish???

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Covetousness involves a blameworthy or immoderate desire some something, not simply desiring something. If hoping one wins is a requisite for covetousness, then is entering free drawings or playing Monopoly games at McDonald's is a sin.

If I play cards with someone, I hope I win, whether it's penny poker or Uno (I don't play poker, btw).
    In the same manner what any recreation might be played: playing, enjoying the activity, and not being overly concerned about winning or losing.