1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GAP: Theory or Fact

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Accountable, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

This sounds like the arguments atheists use....odd to come from a Christian? Maybe I am misunderstanding you...

Oh, and I think Gap Theory is a fiction.

2. Accountable

Accountable New Member

SFIC, Do you believe in the Trinity? I ask this because it is necessary to believe in the trinity to understand creation.

3. standingfirminChrist

And to make all [men] see what [is] the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: (Ephesians 3:9)

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: (Colossians 1:16)

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (Revelation 4:11)

God created all things.

4. standingfirminChrist

It is a fiction.

5. standingfirminChrist

I was just obeying the Word of God in my reply.

6. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Would you let me get away with this answer next time you try it accuse me of changing the subject?

7. standingfirminChrist

If your actions lined up with what the Word of God said, yes.

8. Accountable

Accountable New Member

I will be nice and refrain.

A soft answer turnteh away wrath but grevious words stir up anger.

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You didn't have to ask; he told you. Well, at least he told you how he didn't create it: [FONT=&quot]Isaiah 45:18 says specifically, “For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]am [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the LORD ; and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]there is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]none else.” He specifically says that He did not create it in such a state as that described in Genesis 1:2.
    [/FONT]

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Who here has said otherwise?

Only thing is, you think he created it in a way that he explicitly stated that he did not create it.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Nevertheless, I will venture my own understanding of the Genesis account:

1. Every verse in Genesis Ch. 1 begins with the conjunction "And," waw in Hebrew. With this in mind, each section signifies a sequential and chronological connection to the previous.

2. "Now the earth was..." Gap theorists call for a retranslation of "was," supposing that it should be "became." But this retranslation is not necessary at all. "Was" is from a verb that signifies being, so "was" stands as it is as in every conservative version of the Bible.

3. "Without form and void," is the Hebrew tohu waw bohu. Like just about every word tohu has various shades of meaning, "vanity, confusion, noting, empty place." Again, context would have to decide on the meaning here of tohu and in this case, "emptiness" is the best rendering.

4. A perfect God created the raw material, which is described as "without form and void" and called into being what he wanted.

5. To suggest that a perfect God cannot create raw material and then work from there, is to presume to know more about God than what is revealed. God is God and can do whatever he wants to do. No human dare attempt to stay the hands of God.

6. The Genesis account of creation is just want the Creator order. Many have ventured the gap theory, but that is not necessary, not even from grammar or the rest of Scripture.

7. To suggest that the gap theory is the only explanation of Gen 1:1 and 2 is to dismiss the scholarship of many who have argued for the opposite, as futile.

#51 TCGreek, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2007
  12. Accountable

Accountable New Member

Did God create Satan and the devils?
    Or is it better to say that God created Lucifer and all of the angels, then Lucifer, because of the fall, was made (became) Satan and the third of the angels that fell were made (became) devils? (I'm sure there is a better term for devils, feel free to correct if there is a better word. I think you can see what I am trying to say.)

13. standingfirminChrist

I fail to see that that proves that he did not create it in the state we see in Genesis 1:2. If anything, Isaiah 45:18 strengthens the six day creation account. After creating the earth, He began to form it by adding plants, trees, animals, fish, mankind, sun, moon and stars.

There is no truth in the gap theory.

14. standingfirminChrist

That you are grasping at straws? That you don't know what you are talking about?

15. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

This is amazing although not very surprising at all. First you say we can't say there is a gap, because the text doesn't say it specifically, but then we show you a specific text that specifically says He didn't create it in the state that it was in in Genesis 1:2 and you simply say I don't see it.

Truly amazing!

Just make the rules up as you go along and whatever you need to do to keep "your" theology in take is fair game, eh?

16. fear of the lord

fear of the lord New Member

I have a question about the word darkness in Gen1:2.Does it really mean death sorrow destruction and wickedness ? This isn't a trap I really want to know.

17. standingfirminChrist

Go back and read that verse again. Nowhere does it say what you are claiming it said.

18. standingfirminChrist

NO, it means obscurity or darkness.

19. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes it does and it's obvious.

For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.

It explicity says He didn't create it in the form it was found in verse 2. It couldn't be any more plain.

20. standingfirminChrist

All that says is God made the earth to be inhabited. But if you look at the creation account, God separated certain things so it could be inhabitable...

Light and darkness
    Firmament above and below
    Water and land.

Then he began putting things on the earth
    Grass and and plants

Then God made the Sun, moon and stars.

It was not until that point that the earth became inhabitable.

It was then that God created

Fish and fowl

And finally

Man