1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Gap Theory - the poll --- II

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, Dec 16, 2017.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in case anyone wanted to add anything.

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not put up the same pole?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyones view on the Gap theory changed over the years?

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there still a gap in the theory? :Biggrin

• Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought they went out of business!:eek:... Sorry wrong Gap:rolleyes:... Brother Glen:Biggrin

• Like Like x 2
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gap theory

General definition:
    The theory that there is a time gap of eons between Gen. 1:2 and Gen. 1:3. During this gap the earth became formless and void.​

More specifically defined:

“As we have seen the theologians rested content with creation at 4004 B.C., till the geological studies disturbed this position. The first theory of harmonization propounded was that all geological data known at that time could be accounted for by the flood. We have seen how this theory was revived in the twentieth century under G.M. Price. But as the surface of the earth was studied and deciphered it became apparent that a flood of one year’s duration could not account for the phenomena of the rocks. Geologists had come to the conclusion that these formations occupied thousands if not millions of years for their construction. What the geologists needed was time. How could time be found in the Genesis account? It was the suggestion of the capable and brilliant Thomas Chalmer that the time element could be found be in a reconsideration of Gen. 1:2. There was a creation (1:1) followed by a catastrophe (1:2), in turn followed by a re-creation (1:3, ff). All the time the geologists needed could be found in Gen. 1:2. This theory became the favorite one of the twentieth century hyper-orthodoxy.” [Bernard Ramm, The Christian View of Science and Scripture. Eerdmans 1955. p. 135]

“Although the defenders of the gap theory have variations among themselves in interpretation, the general features of the theory are held in common by all. The theory runs something like this: God created a perfect world as recorded in Gen. 1:1. This world was turned over to Lucifer, who conducted the Temple worship of God located in a mineral Garden of Eden (Ezek. 28:13 f.). The exalted condition of Lucifer was too much for him and in seeking to exalt himself as a god, he and those who consorted with him fell and judgement was passed on them and the earth. For countless millions of years the earth was left alone and during these years the various geological formations took place. Some argue the ugliness of the dinosaurs and the great bed of fossils emerging as vast cemeteries of the past indicate that a judgement for sin had been passed on the earth. Somewhere around 4000 B.C. God reconditioned the earth in six literal twenty-four hour days. Gen. 1 contains an original creation, a judgment and a ruination, and then a re-creation.” (ibid, 135, 136)​

#6 Deacon, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. Mr. Davis

Mr. Davis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just knew the dinosaurs fit in there somewhere! ;)

8. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So that's where Barney's ancestors came from!:Wink... Brother Glen:Biggrin

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard it all my life there was a war in heaven!... When did God ever allow war in his heaven?... Brother Glen:rolleyes:

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great subject - for another thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I first read of the gap theory in the old Scofield Reference Bible. Then I learned to read Hebrew. The grammar of Genesis 1:1-3 completely eliminates the gap theory.

Of course, Scofield had no understanding of Hebrew at all, and no theological training at all, and was never, as far as we know, formally ordained, nor did any college, seminary, or other academic institution ever confer on him an honorary Doctor of Divinity but he, nevertheless, styled himself "The Reverend C.I. Scofield, DD."

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of a French lawyer like that...:D

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know a French Lawyer (Born in the US, of British descent, but now living in France) much different than that. He has 11 earned degrees in philosophy, library science, theology, and law.

His degrees include: a BA with honors in Philosophy from Cornell University (Phi Beta Kappa),

Bachelor of Library Science and Master of Arts from the University of California at Berkeley

Bachelor of Divinity and a Master of Sacred Theology from Wittenberg University, Springfield, Ohio.

Bachelor of Laws from La Salle Extension University, Chicago.

Master of Philosophy in Law from the University of Essex, England.

A Ph.D. from the University of Chicago.

A Th.D. Doctorat d'Universite, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France.

Master of Laws and Doctor of Laws in canon law from Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales (one of the top 100 universities in the world.)

He is licensed to practice Law in all 50 states and before the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as being licensed to practice law in England, France, and before the International Court of Justice in the Hague, the Netherlands.

Not to mention he speaks 17 languages fluently.

He's kinda a smart guy. He invited me to participate in an annual seminar he conducts at his conference center in Strasbourg, France every summer. I had to decline. I was afraid my head would explode from all that thinking! :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That it may be but you won't see me in that battle... Brother Glen:)

15. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what is your view on the subject of creation?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe in creation. 6 literal days in which God formed the unformed and filled the unfilled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rebel1

Rebel1 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe it happened 6000 years ago?

18. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely reject the teaching that there is a gap between weeks 69 & 70 of Daniel 9.

19. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know when it happened. God does not say so I will not speculate. However, other evidence leads me to believe it was most likely less that 10,000 years ago, but the date arrived at by James Ussher, 6 PM, October 23rd, 4004 BC fails in that he assumes the ethnologies of Genesis are closed genealogies, which is incorrect, not to mention other unsupportable assumptions.

• Agree Agree x 1