1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Garage saling/ Yard saling

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 27, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

How many of you like to go? Do you have any good tactics for getting the bargain?

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I enjoy going, but I don't go often. What I have found is that you get the best stuff if you go early, but the best prices later in the day.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I like garage saling, but I have found I have really enjoyed going to local thrift stores. Saturdays are chaotically fun because the stuff is constantly put on the shelf on those days.

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I guess that's why I don't go often to garage sales--the thrift stores have won me over. LOL They are really fun, and we have several around here. I've found some really good bargains. :)

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

We don't have many good thrift stores around us. It's mostly junk, and I have enough of that already.
    I do like yard sales, but I'm usually looking for hard to find items, or stuff cheaper then thrift stores, which are a lot more expensive then the average yard sale. I typically look for children's clothes, new toys to add to what ia hev at my house, this year will be getting rid of toys that are for younger kids that my grandkids are bored with and getting some new better stuff for them. I look for kids books, especially bible based books. Clothes for us, I find some cute jewlery sometimes, books and movies are on the list, and sometimes I find something I'd really like for the house.
    And every year I have a yard sale to get rid of my junk and the junk I've bought from others.
    Of course sometimes I find items I know will sell for a lot more on ebay. I once bought a book about the Titanic, never been opened up, pages still stuck together, paid $1.50, sold on ebay for $22.
    Sometimes thers real treasures to be found at yard sales.

6. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Wow!:applause: I need to go yard sale-ing with you!

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

you have to go to the sales with treasures in mind, not just bargains.

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love yard sales. I love to look for records, tools, etc.

I never buy anything new if I can help it. I once bought an almost new saddle that would have cost about $500 new, for $50.

Our church runs a couple of thrift stores to support a couple of Gospel missions we run, so sometimes if a person is selling clothes (which, for some reason, sell great at thrift stores, but not at all at yard sales), we'll just offer to buy the whole lot at a reduced price and then donate them to the store and get the money back by deducting it from our taxes.

I once found a book that my mother wrote at a yard sale.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My yard is not big enough for sailing, and certainly my garage isn't. :laugh:

10. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Ah, the arrival of spring ... rain, flowers, birds, and yard sales. My wife and I love to take a Saturday morning exploring for books, particularly for our grandchildren. No secrets about getting a bargain ... just compare mentally with new and similar items.

Have picked up some very good classical music CD's that way.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Best thing is to know the item and it's actual used value, I see a lot of people trying to get a nearly new price for used stuff half worn out. I am also not paying a new price just because it still has the original price tag, a yard sale is not a store. If I want to pay new I'll go to the store and buy new, never been owned and in someones house.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, people do get a little greedy sometimes.

The thing that really annoys me is when I see a sign that really captures my attention and gets me all excited and then I get there, and all they've done is to go out and buy a bunch of bulk stuff from a wholesaler and are selling it.

I see that a lot at flea markets now.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I know what you mean, I never ever buy junk like that, and most of it really is cheap junk.
    I really hate this massive sign that promises all kinds of great treasures, and you get there and they have a 20 pieces of clothes a couple of baby bottles, 3 books and some worn out christmas left overs.