1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gay Lutheran Minister Faces Church Trial

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Marcia, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/gay-lutheran-minister-faces-church-trial/n20070118143609990009?cid=211

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The congregation threw a party for him and his gay partner??? That's giving approval of what he did. I'm surprised action isn't being taken against the whole congregation, such as kicking them out of ELCA. :confused:

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

In the article I read on this today in the Washington Post (not the article posted above) it stated that two of the congregants changed their minds and decided to support the minister after discovering how nice he was and how he was there for him.

I am sure this is true, but I think that's exactly the reason we are going to see gay marriage made legal across in the U.S. maybe within 5 years. It's because people will get to know gay people and see they are nice.

I don't think most people decide things on moral grounds but rather on personal ones. And they can't stand to hurt people's feelings or make people feel left out, or feel they are being unfair to people. I think we are already seeing the attitude in the evangelical church lean more in favor of accepting homosexuality because of this and because people in the evangelical churches are getting so subjective about theology. One influence is in the emergent church, but it's other things, too.

So we shouldn't dismiss this as something from a "liberal" church or a church that's departing from the ordinary. We'll be seeing it in supposedly conservative churches, too, imo.