1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gays Fight for One Simple "Word"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Nov 12, 2008.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Truth Be Told.....

Christian would not be out picketing the gay strongholds in California. Yet, the gays have taken to the streets, and if they get their way, the courts may once again overthrow this state's majority vote wanting to keep marriage between a man and woman.

I am concerned that should the courts not rule in favor of the gays, this time, there may be rioting in the streets, and violence to homes that once placed Yes On 8 placards in there yards. Someone went down our street and trashed all the Yes on 8 signs the day of the election.

California needs prayer.....

Shalom,

Pastor Paul:type:

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Eaxctly my point.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

For the simple reason that this country, its laws, and constitution were founded on the Judeo-Christian ethic. :laugh: :BangHead:

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But I thought you had separation of Church and State?

5. OldRegular

I am not from Missouri but show me from the Constitution!:BangHead:

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm not from Missouri either :confused: but I refer you to the First Amendment.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Since this is a government for the people, BY the people, marriage of same sex couples constitutes an endorsement of their union by the population.

Not to mention that, you know, it's a sin and detestable to God and stuff.

:rolleyes:

8. OldRegular

I resent the use of the word gay to describe homosexuals. I know some fine Christians with the surname Gay.

9. OldRegular

The first amendment says nothing about the separation of Church and state. :sleeping_2: Missouri is the "show me" state.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Understand....

I have not seen many Homosexuals that are truly "gay." They are mostly judgmental, angry, and violent when it comes to defending their chosen life style. One would think that if they call themselves "gay" they would be a happy group of people, but this is not true, especially since the passing of Prop 8 in California.

Referring to them as "gay" even makes some of the lyrics in older hymns a little strange.

So, I ask you what we should call them in light of your concerns???

11. OldRegular

I normally use the term homosexual. However, there are a number of slang expressions that are used.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The First Amendment prohibits the establishment of religion (including the 'Judeo-Christian' one - whatever that is). I would challenge you to show me where it says in the Constitution that the US is founded on Judeo-Christian values, as you assert.

Havensdad - the 'people' are largely heathen so what do you expect from them?

I ask again - what business is it of a secular government, be it federal or state level, to legislate with regard to a Church ordinance*/sacrament* ? After all, we don't register baptisms or ordinations or communion at a state or federal level, so why marriage?

*Delete as per your theological taste!

13. targus

targus New Member

Matt, I am surprised that you keep asking this question which has already been answered many times.

The government is concerned about marriage because so many other laws have been written based on the legal concept of marriage between one man and one woman.

Taxes
    Inheritance
    Employer Benefits
    Bankruptcy
    Etc.

Marriage is more than a private arrangement between two people in this regard.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

And I'm afraid that you haven't understood my question: why should laws relating to inheritance, taxation etc be linked to marriage?

15. targus

targus New Member

Because some laws are made to promote a particular social goal.

At some point it was decided that marriage between one man and one woman was better for our society than people living together as man and wife without marriage... better than a plural marriage... etc.

Because some people don't bother with a will and some provision had to be made concerning their estated upon death and it was in the interest of society to have an established order of distribution of the estate. In Michigan where I live the estate of a person that dies without a will is distributed according to family relationship.

Because it was decided that it is a social goal for children to be born to married rather than unmarried parents so the tax codes were written to favor married couples.

Because employers provide benefits such as health care insurance to employees and often spouses and that is a legal issue not a question of sacrament.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Maybe you should study American history before you try to comment on this.

17. steveo

steveo New Member

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the government can also marry people. I'm assuming you haven't heard that you can use a "justice of the peace" instead of a church to get married.

Since the "sacrament" of marriage isn't limited to the church, then the government can choose to levy other forms of regulation upon it.

Hope that answers your question.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (deleted due to double post)

#40 Don, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008