1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gen. 8 and climate change

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Apr 10, 2010.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Genesis 8:21-22 (King James Version)

21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

22While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

21And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again
    curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from
    his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

What does "I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake" mean?
    Does it mean that previous curses are sufficient or that previous curses are withdrawn?

What does "neither will I again smite any more EVERY thing living, as I have
    done" mean? Did God smite EVERY living thing? If it means that next time God will only smite 99.9% of all living things then . . . all bets are off?

22While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and
    winter, and day and night shall not cease.

What does this mean? Does it mean that the climate that was familiar to Noah was
    guaranteed until Jesus returns or does is only mean that there will be a hot months,
    cold months, and something in between?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We have a variety of climates today - from polar, to desert, to rain forrest etc.

While Noah may indeed have lived during the polar ice ages - he still had 4 seasons at some latitude on the earth. Thus I do not think the climate is "unchanged" since then, but we have always had 4 seasons at certain latitudes - though not always the same extreme swings in temp.

And that volcanoe is spewing a lot of "gases" into the upper atmosphere. Someone needs to tell it "to go green".

in Christ,

Bob