1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gen. Powell on the State of the GOP

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Magnetic Poles, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Colin Powell speaks out on the state of the Republican Party, the polarizing effect of the Palin candidacy, Rush Limbaugh, and the need to reach out to minorities.

CLICK HERE

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Powell is a RINO and has revealed himself as such many times.

This is more of the same.

His main concern is race. It clouds his vision. It is only because of his race tinted vision that he believes the Republican Party is not all inclusive.

It begs the question as to why he is a member of a political party that he believes is racist.

#2 carpro, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2008
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I am so glad he believes that because in a decade or two, WASPS, as well as Irish, French and Italian Catholics (IFIC) ----- will also be a minority

4. Enoch

Enoch New Member

I lost any respect I had for Collin Powell when he endorsed Obama. So his comments are mute.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Republicans have nominated non-conservatives for the last 20 years. The last true conservative for president was Ronald Reagan.

George H.W. Bush raised taxes and was promptly defeated. Bob Dole was a middle of the road moderate and was promptly defeated. George W. Bush ran as a moderate willing to work with liberals and was elected (barely) in 2000 based on his promise to cut taxes. Although he did push the tax cuts, he has governed as a liberal by expanding the size and influence of the federal government.

Had it not been for 9/11, he probably would have been defeated in 2004.

John McCain was the biggest moderate/liberal republican to be nominated yet. He opposed tax cuts (although he had an election year flipflop), he opposed off shore drilling (election year flipflop), his biggest claim to fame was his willingness to throw his party's ideas to the curb and work with liberal dems.

His pick of Sarah Palin was the only thing that allowed him to get more than 35% of the popular vote.

The republicans need to find out if they have any core values that are worth fighting for, that will not be compromised.

peace to you:praying:

6. Magnetic Poles

Whereas I listened to what he had to say about that, and found it deepened my respect for him, and was a step toward restoration after he told the UN that Iraqi trucks were mobile weapons labs.

By the way, the word you are looking for is MOOT. Mute means silent. Moot means irrelevant. As in 'it's a moot point'.

1 a: open to question : debatable b: subjected to discussion : disputed2: deprived of practical significance : made abstract or purely academic

So you lost a half point on your grade for that error. But since you turned it in on time, you still got a passing grade. :thumbs:

7. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Did it ever occur to you I meant MUTE. As in silent, as in when he speaks I can no longer listen. His opinion to me is mute. I’m sorry my English has caused you offense ohhh perfect pole. :tonofbricks:A little too much time on your hands...

8. Magnetic Poles

It did, but in my extreme perfection, I rejected that thought, as it still would be an incorrect word usage. But if you want to appeal your grade, you may go to the principal's office and make your case there. :wavey: Remember that a person, e.g. General Powell, could be said to be mute; whereas a comment by its very being, cannot be.

#8 Magnetic Poles, Dec 13, 2008
  9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Do YOU really believe that the Republican party is all inclusive? I don't.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no such thing as a RINO. That is just a silly term that right-wingers use.

A person is either a member of the Republican Party or isn't. Being a member of either the Republican Party or the Democratic Party is not based on ideology. They are both broad based parties or else they wouldn't be major parties.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already greatly repsected General Powell before he endorsed Barack and I still greatly respect him. It's too bad that the Republican Party is so heavily influenced by right-wingers and won't listen to people such as General Powell.

12. Magnetic Poles

This "RINO" garbage is contrary to the lip service given to the GOP being a "Big Tent". Apparently if you don't hold to narrow ideologies, you can't really come into the tent as an equal. That is good news for the Democrats, since the GOP continues this play to a narrow minority.

13. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the liberals telling the Republicans they are giving too much attention to conservatives. The republicans have been nominating moderate/liberal candidates for 20 years. They have been playing the middle of the road game the liberals have been screaming for already and it has led to nothing but repeated failure.

I notice Obama didn't take the liberals advice to act more liberal. He acted like a conservative. We're not gonna take your guns away, we gonna give you tax cuts, were gonna make government work more efficiently.....

peace to you

#13 canadyjd, Dec 13, 2008
  14. Magnetic Poles

canady, you posted this in the wrong thread. Please refrain from posting off topic posts and put this in the correct thread.

Thanks.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This is why I keep saying the party is fragmented. When one part of the party says others in the party are RINO, they are a fragmented party.

Divided they stand, together...

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Having a gun is protected by the second amendment and he clearly said he would raise taxes on the top 5%. Yet he got many votes from the upper 5%. I thought every candidate said they would make government work more efficiently, when did that become exclusive to the GOP?

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

RINO is a useful, descriptive term. Just as Blue Dog Democrat, Reagan Democrat, Progressive Dem, or DINO, used to characterize different factions of the Dem party, so does RINO describe Powell pretty well. He is presumably a registered Republican, but has a hard time saying anything good about any of them.

18. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Democrat version of 'What's the Matter With Kansas?'.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I never heard of a DINO till now. The rest of them describe different factions of the party but still Democrats just the same. RINO are said to not be Conservatives because they are too liberal to be a club member. If Powell was the only one making the statements about the parties direction then you might be right. However even the loyal Conservatives like the Governors have trouble identifying the parties direction.

I don't think Powell spoke bad of the party, I think Powell was truthful. Saying Muslims American's are also American's and Ayres stories wasn't a good campaign was the truth. The GOP manged to take a great war hero like McCain down to the gutter trying to run a typical GOP campaign of smears that play on fear. Then again, it's hard to have a true platform when you're the party that believes in doing nothing.

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist